Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    Trump’s favorably rating is only relatively high among his own support base. “his median approval rating is low — only President Harry Truman had a lower median rating”.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...he-new-normal/
    Why do you keep posting links that don't at all show what you're claiming? Are you that dishonest, or that screwed up in the head?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And yet the “The Southern Baptist Convention issued an apology for its earlier stance on slavery.
      Yes, the rest of us actually think this is a GOOD thing. Tassman, you have been schooled on this many times - why do you keep flunking class?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And yet the “The Southern Baptist Convention issued an apology for its earlier stance on slavery. The issue had split the Baptist church between north and south in 1845. But a century and a half later, in 1995, Southern Baptist officials formally renounced the church's support of slavery and segregation”.
        I kept thinking, in the back of my mind, how nutty this argument was, because even as a kid, I remember 'race relations' with 'Negroes' (as they were commonly called back then) to be a very positive aspect of my SBC background. I remembered that Valentines Day, in particular, was known as "Race Relations Sunday", and it was not unusual for a black pastor and a white pastor to "trade pulpits" for that Sunday. I've actually preached in black churches when I was a lot younger, while a black pastor preached in my church.

I mentioned this to a friend, who reminded me that the SBC actually passed a resolution on this in St. Louis, Mo in 1961 -- three years PRIOR to the Civil Rights Act of 1964 -- concerning Race Relations, to wit: (and note the bolded part)

Resolution On Race Relations

This Convention in years past has expressed itself clearly and positively on issues related to race relations. Today the solution of the race problem is a major challenge to Christian faith and action at home and abroad.

Because Southern Baptists are the largest Christian group in the area where racial tensions between whites and Negroes are most acute, we feel an especially keen sense of Christian responsibility in this hour.

We recognize that members of our churches have sincere differences of opinion as to the best course of action in this matter. On solid scriptural grounds, however, we reject mob violence as an attempted means of solving this problem. We believe that both lawless violence on one hand and unwarranted provocation on the other are outside the demands of Christ upon us all.

We believe that the race problem is a moral and spiritual as well as social problem. Southern Baptists accept the teachings of the Bible and the Commission of Christ as our sole guide of faith and practice in this area as in every other area. We cannot afford to let pride or prejudice undermine . . . either our Christian witness at home or the years of consecrated, sacrificial missionary service among all the peoples of the world.

We therefore urge all Southern Baptists to speak the truth of Christ in love as it relates to all those for whom he died. We further urge that this Convention reaffirm its conviction that every man has dignity and worth before the Lord. Let us commit ourselves as Christians to do all that we can to improve the relations among all races as a positive demonstration of the power of Christian love.

The reason this kept coming up is that small minded dishonest anti-Christian bigots like Tassman are a dime a dozen, and kept bringing up the problematic racial problems of the SBC's PAST.

Comment

• Hey Tassman, maybe after Trump finishes with being POTUS he will immigrate to Australia and run for your Prime Minister and Make Australia Great Again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Hey Tassman, maybe after Trump finishes with being POTUS he will immigrate to Australia and run for your Prime Minister and Make Australia Great Again.

Nah, that's too small-minded. He needs to be president of the WORLD.
            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              The fact that those who know little or nothing about him except that he is openly gay give him a 60% favorability rating does not detract from that simple fact.
              A 60% “favorably rating” that’s kept him in office for the past 7 years. What a gay ol’ place South Bend must be.

He did well in school, ran a committee of mayors winning an award for pedestrian and bikes, and of course, plays a musical instrument.

This reminds me of an application from someone fresh out of school looking for their first real job.
              Your none-too subtle sarcasm noted, obviously necessitated by Buttigieg’s impressive résumé. Although, admittedly, compared to Trump a secondary school child’s résumé would be impressive.
              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Yes, the rest of us actually think this is a GOOD thing.
                The fact that an apology was issued at all by the SBC for its stance on slavery and subsequent segregation, suggests that there was something for which to apologize. There certainly was. And yes, it was "a GOOD thing" even if it was far too late at thirty years after the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Tassman, you have been schooled on this many times -
                So funny.

You need to face up to the fact that your self-righteous Church has a terrible history regarding racial issues that no amount of rationalization can live down. Your very favorite Southern Baptist, namely R. Albert Mohler, Jr., President THE SOUTHERN BAPTIST THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY, recognizes this even if you don't:

“Our relationship to African-Americans has been hindered from the beginning by the role that slavery played in the formation of the Southern Baptist Convention; many of our Southern Baptist forbears defended the right to own slaves, and either participated in, supported, or acquiesced in the particularly inhumane nature of American slavery; and in later years Southern Baptists failed, in many cases, to support, and in some cases opposed, legitimate initiatives to secure the civil rights of African-Americans".

http://www.sbts.edu/wp-content/uploa...-v4.pdf#page=6
                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

A 60% “favorably rating” that’s kept him in office for the past 7 years. What a gay ol’ place South Bend must be.
                  That's nationally. Locally his favorabilities are at 35%. Now I know the left seems to think that anyone should be able to vote for him for mayor of South Bend, that the Hollyweird crowd has as much right as those living there (much like illegal immigrants have the right to vote after they sneak into the country), but that isn't how it is (supposed) to work.

Maybe this is why he's running for president -- because he realizes that his political career is likely over at the local level.

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                  Your none-too subtle sarcasm noted, obviously necessitated by Buttigieg’s impressive résumé.
                  Impressive for someone applying for a mid-level management position at a large company.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Impressive for someone applying for a mid-level management position at a large company.
                    Yeah, but dude, he plays an instrument. Surely that makes him the most qualifiedest candidate ever!
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

The fact that an apology was issued at all by the SBC for its stance on slavery and subsequent segregation, suggests that there was something for which to apologize.
                      Wow, you're a freakin' GENIUS.

Too bad you keep getting your "facts" so wrong so often, blinded by your hate-filled anti-Christian agenda.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        Yeah, but dude, he plays an instrument. Surely that makes him the most qualifiedest candidate ever!
                        The very fact that Tas listed his playing a musical instrument in his resumé suggests that even he realizes that Buttigieg is anything but ready for prime time.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The very fact that Tas listed his playing a musical instrument in his resumé suggests that even he realizes that Buttigieg is anything but ready for prime time.
                          But he's gay. So, that alone qualifies him!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            But he's gay. So, that alone qualifies him!
                            On one of the cable news networks (I think it was Bloomberg) they had a panel where one of the guest was an enthusiastic supporter of Buttigieg but he never got beyond the fact that he is the first openly gay candidate for president when he was singing his praises.

For many that seems to be all that matters.

Comment

Actually he plays piano to the level of a concert pianist.

But interesting that you ignore his other qualities such as "President of the Indiana Urban Mayors Caucus and the Northern Indiana Mayors Roundtable, and serves on the boards of the Truman National Security Project and the United States Conference of Mayors. In 2015 he received the New Frontier Award from the John F. Kennedy Library Foundation and the Harvard University Institute of Politics, and in 2016 he won the U.S. Department of Transportation Mayors’ Challenge Pedestrian and Bicycle Awards for the City’s work on Smart Streets.

Elected at the age of 29, Buttigieg has been profiled by the New York Times and was called “the most interesting mayor you’ve never heard of” by the Washington Post. An officer in U.S. Navy Reserve from 2009-17, Buttigieg took a leave of absence to serve in Afghanistan during a seven-month deployment in 2014, earning the Joint Service Commendation Medal for his counterterrorism work.

An active musician, Buttigieg plays piano and guitar, and has performed with the South Bend Symphony Orchestra. He lives in the same neighborhood where he grew up and is restoring a formerly vacant home there."

https://southbendin.gov/official/mayor-pete-buttigieg/

In short, a more rounded and accomplished individual than the current incumbent of the WH.

Comment

That's nationally.
                                Oh, Buttigieg’s rating is 60% nationally as compared to Trump’s at around 40%. That’d be about right.

Maybe this is why he's running for president -- because he realizes that his political career is likely over at the local level.
                                Ya reckon? Buttigieg’s mayoral career has been a success overall during the seven years he has been in office with the reasonable expectation that it will continue should he remain in South Bend as, realistically, he probably will.

So, his application is now impressive “for a mid-level management position at a large company”, so he’s moved on from your initial: “someone fresh out of school looking for their first real job”. Maybe next time you’ll get it right. He is a highly accomplished individual who would be an asset to the country.

Comment