Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Because that's a lie. The SBC was founded on the determination of southern churches not being prevented from sending missionaries.
    If the southern churches had given up slave ownership, which their northern counterparts considered immoral, they would not have been prevented from sending missionaries. Nor would they have had to found a new denomination in order to retain their slaves.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      If the southern churches had given up slave ownership, which their northern counterparts considered immoral, they would not have been prevented from sending missionaries. Nor would they have had to found a new denomination in order to retain their slaves.
      Citation, please.

Meanwhile, you've come a long way since your initial incorrect anti-Christian bigoted statement:

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      The Southern Baptist Convention was founded in 1845 in the Southern United States for the very purpose of maintaining slavery. It didn’t acknowledge they were wrong about it until Aug 28, 2009.
      And your equally ignorant statement that:

Yes, it is the interpretation of scripture that makes the difference, e.g. the Southern Baptists once interpreted scripture in such a way as to justify slavery, renouncing it officially only in 1995.
      Do you remember what all this was about, Tassman? Your phony claim that the SBC interpreted scripture to justify slavery was supposed to support your equally ignorant assertion that Mayor Pete interpreted the scriptures regarding homosexuality differently than I do. Fact is, he doesn't interpret them at all. He totally ignores them! So that whole argument is a steaming pile of horsie poo.

And he - supposedly a "practicing Christian" - doesn't even claim to have a spiritual life outside the Church.

Beck: You describe your faith as more liturgical than theological. So does that mean that you don't consider yourself having private, individual spirituality or a life of prayer outside of that gathered community?

Buttigieg: I don't know why I wound up liturgically conservative other than maybe habit, but I do feel that way. If there's going to be music, I want an organ, not a guitar. ...

And doesn't seem to have a clue what prayer is...

And I've always struggled with prayer as a concept, just because the idea that when you address the Almighty, we do it, grammatically, in the imperative mood. It's an interesting thing.

So, he appears to be a "Christian" who never appeals to the scripture as authoritative, other than to declare "Scripture is about protecting the stranger, and the prisoner, and the poor person, and that idea of welcome. That's what I get in the Gospel when I'm in church." Nothing about salvation, or sin, or repentance, or.... actual scripture. Doesn't have a spiritual life "outside the Church", and doesn't have a prayer life.

But he knows that he likes organ music better than guitar in church!

He doesn't appear to interpret scripture differently, Tassy --- he just totally ignores it.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• So, the more I try to find out what Mayor Pete's faith is all about (as a foundation to blast Pence's faith) I'm finding that...
        • he occasionally attends a very liberal church
        • has no real "Christian life" outside that church
        • does not appeal to scripture as authoritative in any way
        • shapes his "gospel" on a total misrepresentation of who Jesus was and what He taught, limiting "the gospel" to "protecting the stranger, and the prisoner, and the poor person, and that idea of welcome"
        • has no prayer life, thinking God already knows what we need, so why ask
        • appears to be supportive of late term abortion

No wonder the liberals love his brand of "faith".
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Of course he does - he wants to identify as a Christian AND live a homosexual lifestyle - he has no choice, then, to rationalize homosexuality as acceptable to God in spite of scriptures that clearly say it is not.
          Buttigieg claims he’s a Christian and the majority of US Christians believe that a loving God accepts homosexuality, according to Pew Research. It’s not for me to judge the motives of others. I’ll leave that to you.

He's entitled to be sincerely wrong,
          Just as you are entitled to be sincerely wrong.

and the fact that an anti-Christian bigot is defending him says quite a lot.
          Does it? The majority of US Christians accept Buttigieg’s homosexuality. Are they “anti-Christian bigots”, or just more loving people than Pastor CP?
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Citation, please.
            You are the citation. You said “The SBC was founded on the determination of southern churches not being prevented from sending missionaries”. Of course, they were. The Southern Baptist Convention was founded as a pro-slavery denomination in 1845 after a dispute over the appropriateness of letting slave-owners be missionaries to Africa. In fact, “The Southern Baptist Convention, the largest Protestant denomination in the United States, came into being in 1845 as the church of Southern slaveholders”.

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/13/67633...nd-deep-racism

Meanwhile, you've come a long way since your initial incorrect anti-Christian bigoted statement:
            Not at all, apart from my typo re the date the SBC renounced slavery officially, my argument stands. The Southern Baptist Convention was founded in 1845 in the Southern United States for the very purpose of maintaining slavery.

See above.

And your equally ignorant statement that:

Do you remember what all this was about, Tassman? Your phony claim that the SBC interpreted scripture to justify slavery was supposed to support your equally ignorant assertion that Mayor Pete interpreted the scriptures regarding homosexuality differently than I do. Fact is, he doesn't interpret them at all. He totally ignores them! So that whole argument is a steaming pile of horsie poo.
            No, "what it was about" was my assertion that scripture is interpreted according to the social mores of the day. This has been true of many Christians at one time justifying slavery via scripture, women being subordinated to men and most recently homosexuality and etc. The last is what it’s all about, namely Buttigieg’s stance on the subject.

And he - supposedly a "practicing Christian" - doesn't even claim to have a spiritual life outside the Church.
            Like Trump, you mean. Oh, that’s a bit harsh.

Comment

If that option had been made available, it is likely that many would have taken it up - and no schism arisen.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
              Scripture before Tradition:
              but that won't prevent others from
              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Buttigieg claims he’s a Christian and the majority of US Christians believe that a loving God accepts homosexuality, according to Pew Research. It’s not for me to judge the motives of others. I’ll leave that to you.
                even if that were true, which I don't believe, Christianity isn't a popularity contest.

Comment

It’s not for me to judge the motives of others. I’ll leave that to you.

Oh, THAT is precious!!!! I literally DID almost spit out my coffee, and am still laughing.

Comment

Does it? The majority of US Christians accept Buttigieg’s homosexuality.
                    100% of Christians are sinners, including me.

Are they “anti-Christian bigots”, or just more loving people than Pastor CP?
                    Do they daily show up on a Christian-run website to be obnoxious and make gutless scurrilous false accusations like you? Not that I'm aware.

Tassman, Jesus was loving and accepting -- of the individual, not their sin. When he encountered the woman at the well, he accepted her but exposed her sin. When he encountered the woman caught in adultery, he loved her, but he told her "go and sin no more", or "Go now and leave your life of sin."

Pete should do likewise.

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                      If that option had been made available, it is likely that many would have taken it up - and no schism arisen.
                      I have searched and searched for any such offer of compromise - and what I discovered was that this separation over missions had already been building because of basic differences in philosophy between the churches of the north and the churches of the south. It's actually turned into quite an interesting study, and I thank Tassman for his idiot allegations that drove me to dig in.

The two missionary candidates who were denied service were just the "final straw" in a growing schism, much of which had absolutely nothing to do with slavery.

Comment

You are the citation.
                        Then sit back and pay attention, boy, I'm schooling you! (So far, you have a failing grade)

Comment

Not at all, apart from my typo re the date the SBC renounced slavery officially...

A TYPO?!?!?! Yeah, because 2009 looks an AWFUL lot like 1995!!!!

Did you actually type that with a straight face?

Comment

Like Trump, you mean. Oh, that’s a bit harsh.
                            I don't believe I have ever defended Trump's Christianity, Tassy, so, yeah..... hadn't thought about it that way, but very much like Trump, except I don't think Trump is claiming to be a "practicing Christian".

Comment

Oh, THAT is precious!!!! I literally DID almost spit out my coffee, and am still laughing.
                              Right, it is not up to me to judge the motives of slave holders...
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                                Right, it is not up to me to judge the motives of slave holders...
                                Or the SBC Missionaries! That has been his ENTIRE argument!!!

Comment