Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fact is, Mayor Pete comes by his determination to live in sin NOT from any interpretation of Scripture, as Tassman claims, but by totally ignoring what the Bible says about it.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I was actually agreeing that slavery in the old testament wasn't the chattel slavery of the USA. You just glommed on to one word in my post. Sure I could be wrong about prisoners, but that wasn't my point.
      If you were trying to distinguish it from US chattel slavery, then you shouldn't have brought up prisoners of war as an alleged difference, because the very source of African slaves was capture by warring tribes. The only significant difference I can see between "manstealing" and prisoners of war is that US chattel slaves were sold to others rather than being directly enslaved by their captors. Anyway, "prisoners of war" was not simply "one word in your post", it was a main category.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        If you were trying to distinguish it from US chattel slavery, then you shouldn't have brought up prisoners of war as an alleged difference, because the very source of African slaves was capture by warring tribes. The only significant difference I can see between "manstealing" and prisoners of war is that US chattel slaves were sold to others rather than being directly enslaved by their captors. Anyway, "prisoners of war" was not simply "one word in your post", it was a main category.
        sigh. Have you been taking lessons from Roy again?

Comment

• Originally posted by guacamole View Post
          "Their own jackass theology" pretty much describes much of what the modern church thinks.
          Well I am more hesitant than you in ascribing the (presumably sincere) beliefs of the majority of Christians as “jackass theology”. But I’m inclined to think that scripture interpretation that promotes love and inclusivity rather than exclusion and judgement is more in line with the teachings of Jesus.
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            First of all - this "majority" idiocy: You seem to have this really warped notion that a majority makes something right.
            I didn’t say that.

there's no evidence whatsoever that Buttigieg's problem is in interpretation. He's flat out IGNORING the very scriptures that deal with the issue.
            I think the likes of Buttigieg interpret scripture in the total context of Jesus’ teaching, but it’s not up to me (OR YOU) to judge his motives.

You are dishonest in conflating "interpretation" of scripture with a total IGNORING of it.
            And you are “ignoring” that Christians throughout history have used scripture to justify their own social agenda…whether keeping women subjugated to men, or slaves obedient to their masters. Interpretation changes according to what people to ‘want’ it to mean.

And all you're doing is proving what an insolent jackass you are.
            And what are you proving yourself to be, Pastor?
            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
              I didn’t say that.
              You clearly implied it. Why else would you keep bringing it up?

I think the likes of Buttigieg interpret scripture in the total context of Jesus’ teaching, but it’s not up to me (OR YOU) to judge his motives.
              You can think that all you want, but you can't offer even one little example.

And you are “ignoring” that Christians throughout history have used scripture to justify their own social agenda…
              This is a blatant lie, as I have already stated that happens.

whether keeping women subjugated to men, or slaves obedient to their masters. Interpretation changes according to what people to ‘want’ it to mean.
              Or, like in the case of Mayor Pete, they simply ignore the parts they don't like.

And what are you proving yourself to be, Pastor?
              Correct!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well I am more hesitant than you in ascribing the (presumably sincere) beliefs of the majority of Christians as “jackass theology”. But I’m inclined to think that scripture interpretation that promotes love and inclusivity rather than exclusion and judgement is more in line with the teachings of Jesus.
                Of course you're inclined to think that, because, just like Mayor Pete - you totally ignore the parts you don't like. Your imaginary sissy Jesus would NEVER tell the aldulterous woman to stop sinning or reveal the sins of the woman at the well or call the religious leaders snakes and liars and imply they were bastards.

In fact, you have to ignore FAR more scripture to make your case than Mayor Pete does to justify his choice to live in sin.

Comment

Of course you're inclined to think that, because, just like Mayor Pete - you totally ignore the parts you don't like. Your imaginary sissy Jesus would NEVER tell the aldulterous woman to stop sinning or reveal the sins of the woman at the well or call the religious leaders snakes and liars and imply they were bastards.

In fact, you have to ignore FAR more scripture to make your case than Mayor Pete does to justify his choice to live in sin.
                  Maybe Mayor Pete is a different kind of christian than you, CP. He can believe without believing every word in the bible to have come straight from god. Do you believe god ordered homosexuals to be stoned to death?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    Maybe Mayor Pete is a different kind of christian than you, CP.
                    It would certainly appear so, Jim.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      Maybe Mayor Pete is a different kind of christian than you, CP.
                      He's certainly a more loving one.

He can believe without believing every word in the bible to have come straight from god. Do you believe god ordered homosexuals to be stoned to death?
                      Answer the question CP. Do you believe god ordered homosexuals to be stoned to death?
                      Last edited by Tassman; 05-11-2019, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Of course you're inclined to think that, because, just like Mayor Pete - you totally ignore the parts you don't like.
                        Just as the slave owners ignored the parts of the bible they didn’t like and interpreted certain scriptures in order to justify it. And women were ‘kept in their place’ by judicious use of the scriptures. Only to be reinterpreted differently when the social mores changed.

Your imaginary sissy Jesus would NEVER tell the aldulterous woman to stop sinning or reveal the sins of the woman at the well or call the religious leaders snakes and liars and imply they were bastards.
                        What would Jesus tell the adulterous man you voted for as president and what would he tell you for voting for him?

Or you to justify YOUR choice to condemn those who think differently to your interpretation. Times change. We no longer accept slavery; we no longer expect women to be confined to home duties. And the enlightened majority accept that both heterosexual behavior and homosexual behavior are normal aspects of human sexuality.

Comment

• Condemn the churches on the one hand for their former conformation with prevailing social mores, and on the other, and on the other hand for failing to conform with the prevailing cultural mores. It IS an interesting approach.
                          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                          Scripture before Tradition:
                          but that won't prevent others from
                          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

He's certainly a more loving one.
                            Says the anti-Christian bigot who comes here for no other purpose than to spew forth hate.

Comment

Just as the slave owners ignored the parts of the bible they didn’t like and interpreted certain scriptures in order to justify it.
                              Many slave owners did exactly that.

So, you're FINALLY admitting that Buttigieg simply ignores scripture to justify his decision to live in sin?

Comment

So, you're FINALLY admitting that Buttigieg simply ignores scripture to justify his decision to live in sin?
                                No. That’s not what I’m saying as you would realize if you hadn’t snipped most of my post. What I’m saying is that Christians throughout history have interpreted scripture in order to conform to the social mores of the of the day…from justifying slavery, the subjugation of women and, now recognizing that both heterosexual behavior and homosexual behavior are normal aspects of human sexuality.

Comment