Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    Nope. My argument has consistently been that practicing Christians have a long history of disagreeing among themselves as to what, according to scripture, is acceptable behavior for Christians.
    Which has absolutely NOTHING to do with Buttigieg's decision to live in sin, as you have yet to produce anything at all to show that he was "interpreting scripture" in any way to justify his rebellion against God. He doesn't "interpret" scripture - he IGNORES it.

You say...
    Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    I don’t give a toss how Buttigieg OR you view scripture.

But you say...
    Bur, what’s “in question” is not my argument. The argument is merely that practicing Christians disagree among themselves as to what is acceptable behavior for Christians.

And....
    My argument was that the interpretation of scripture varies e.g. the likes of Buttigieg, as a practicing Christian, interprets scripture in such a way that homosexuality is OK with a loving God.

The only thing 'consistent' about your posts, Reverend Tassman, is your rank INCONSISTENCY.

So make up your freakin' little mind, Reverend Tassy ---- is your argument about the various "interpretations of scripture", while claiming you "don't give a toss" about the interpretations?

You're either very confused or very dishonest. Or both.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Hi Adrift. Thank you for setting the record straight and informing the Christians here that their god did indeed command that human beings be executed, and they were ordered executed by means of stoning to death and burning to death which today we would argue to be immoral and abhorent. Forget all the spin, it's immoral and abhorant, period! What's interesting to me is that those replying here, other than yourself, either didn't know, or couldn't admit that to be the case.
      See Adrift? He didn't read a damn thing you said.

JimL, where did he say God told them to burn anyone to death? Still waiting on a cite from you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

JimL, where did he say God told them to burn anyone to death? Still waiting on a cite from you.
        JimL doesn't do cites, partly because he's lazy, partly because we want them, and partly because, on the rare occasions he actually provides them, they generally elicit laughter.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          JimL doesn't do cites, partly because he's lazy, partly because we want them, and partly because, on the rare occasions he actually provides them, they generally elicit laughter.
          OK, that last part made me laugh.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

What's sad is that Jimmy thinks Adrift came to his rescue, and thanked him for "setting the record straight", when Adrift properly predicted exactly what Jimmy would do - "because previous experience has taught them that anything that would take time to explain to you would likely be waved away, or further a sideline discussion that no one in this threads is interesting in engaging".

Comment

Duh! Leviticus 20:14 for one.

Comment

Very good, Jim. I'm impressed. What are your thoughts on the circumstance?
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Wow, you actually found one!

And if a man take a wife and her mother, it is wickedness: they shall be burnt with fire, both he and they; that there be no wickedness among you.

although it doesn't say "burned to death" - in fact one commentary Adam Clark says, "It is very likely that the crime mentioned in this verse was not punished by burning alive, but by some kind of branding, by which they were ever after rendered infamous. . . . Branding with a hot iron would certainly accomplish every desirable end both for punishment and prevention."

but it could mean being burned to death. It is not that clear.

Comment

And if a man take a wife and her mother, it is wickedness: they shall be burnt with fire, both he and they; that there be no wickedness among you.

although it doesn't say "burned to death" - in fact one commentary Adam Clark says, "It is very likely that the crime mentioned in this verse was not punished by burning alive, but by some kind of branding, by which they were ever after rendered infamous. . . . Branding with a hot iron would certainly accomplish every desirable end both for punishment and prevention."

Given the context, it's fairly evident they would be burnt to death IMO.

sigpic

Comment

It is a death penalty - it's in the middle of other death penalties which establishes the context, and the literal translation would be "set afire with fire"
                      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                      Scripture before Tradition:
                      but that won't prevent others from
                      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Given the context, it's fairly evident they would be burnt to death IMO.
                        Yeah I allowed for that, but it is not that clearly written. But the surrounding verses are about being put to death.

another commentary says:

It is to be understood, that, whenever mention is made that the offender was "to be put to death" without describing the mode, stoning is meant. The only instance of another form of capital punishment occurs in Lev 20:14, that of being burnt with fire; and yet it is probable that even here death was first inflicted by stoning, and the body of the criminal afterwards consumed by fire ( Jos 7:15 ).
                        Jamieson, Fausset & Brown :: Commentary on Leviticus 20

Comment

• One of the very few things at which Jimmy excels is attempting to drag a thread off topic. He's managing to do that here, just as Adrift prophesied*.

The issue is that Buttigieg is portrayed as a "Practicing Christian" in spite of the fact that he totally ignores (not interprets) scripture that condemns his lifestyle.

*kinda sorta

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            One of the very few things at which Jimmy excels is attempting to drag a thread off topic. He's managing to do that here, just as Adrift prophesied*.

*kinda sorta
                            It's already miles away from where it started.

sigpic

Comment

It's already miles away from where it started.
                              It's almost like this is Tweb!

Comment

Yeah I allowed for that, but it is not that clearly written. But the surrounding verses are about being put to death.

another commentary says:

It is to be understood, that, whenever mention is made that the offender was "to be put to death" without describing the mode, stoning is meant. The only instance of another form of capital punishment occurs in Lev 20:14, that of being burnt with fire; and yet it is probable that even here death was first inflicted by stoning, and the body of the criminal afterwards consumed by fire ( Jos 7:15 ).
                                Jamieson, Fausset & Brown :: Commentary on Leviticus 20
                                set afire with fire is stated in both Joshua 7:15 and 25 which does allow such a possibility for Leviticus 20:14 at that.
                                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                                Scripture before Tradition:
                                but that won't prevent others from
                                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment