Page 51 of 205 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    The truth is, the bible neither condones nor condemns slavery. It just reported it as happening and God gave rules on how to treat slaves and under what circumstances they should be let free.
    The Bible (in both Testaments) does condemn "manstealing" which slavery in the US was based on.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

2. Amen Sparko amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    The Bible (in both Testaments) does condemn "manstealing" which slavery in the US was based on.
    Yep. the Slavery in the bible (at least what the Israelites practiced) was more of captured prisoners of war, and debt slavery, where someone was enslaved until they could work off their debts. They didn't have long term prisons back then like we do now. So instead of prison terms, they made people slaves. But they had rules on how they had to be treated and eventually let go.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Prisoners of war weren't subject to the provisions against man-stealing, which is to say that taking slaves in such circumstances wasn't man-stealing.
    There was no requirement that prisoners of war ever be manumitted.
    It was stock standard slavery - albeit with provisos that no slave be mistreated.
    1 Cor 15:34 εκνηψατε δικαιως και μη αμαρτανετε αγνωσιαν γαρ θεου τινες εχουσιν προς εντροπην υμιν λεγω

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yep. the Slavery in the bible (at least what the Israelites practiced) was more of captured prisoners of war, and debt slavery, where someone was enslaved until they could work off their debts.
    Weren't most enemies to be killed rather than captured?
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Weren't most enemies to be killed rather than captured?
    Probably, but they still took prisoners. Sometimes women and children.

Got also let them buy slaves from foreign lands.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Probably, but they still took prisoners. Sometimes women and children.

Got also let them buy slaves from foreign lands.
    Got any cites for these? AFAIR, they could only allow prepubescent girls to live (Num. 31).
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Got any cites for these? AFAIR, they could only allow prepubescent girls to live (Num. 31).
    not off the top of my head, but wasn't that part of the problem with the Israelites? Instead of killing everyone they kept letting them live among them and they started worshiping the gods of those people?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Not prepubescent girls - virgins (though in the time and place, that might be a moot point.) And that instruction was specific to a single campaign against Midian.
    Joshua 9:19-27, Lev 25:44-45
    1 Cor 15:34 εκνηψατε δικαιως και μη αμαρτανετε αγνωσιαν γαρ θεου τινες εχουσιν προς εντροπην υμιν λεγω

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    not off the top of my head, but wasn't that part of the problem with the Israelites? Instead of killing everyone they kept letting them live among them and they started worshiping the gods of those people?
    If you're arguing based on what scripture told the Israelites to do....

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If you're arguing based on what scripture told the Israelites to do....
    I was actually agreeing that slavery in the old testament wasn't the chattel slavery of the USA. You just glommed on to one word in my post. Sure I could be wrong about prisoners, but that wasn't my point.