Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Mayor Pete Attacks Trump's Faith...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    What business is it of yours? He says he considers himself Christian and takes his beliefs seriously, as numerous links have indicated. It is not up to anyone else to judge him or question his motives. Especially self-righteous Evangelicals claiming the mantle of “REAL” Christians and yet seem so full of judgmental hate.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/right-...ian?ref=author
    It is our business as Christians to police ourselves. Who else should?

Cor 5: 11 But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people.
    12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13 God will judge those outside. “Expel the wicked person from among you.”

And also YOU are the one who made the claim he is a "practicing Christian" so we are answering YOU!

Also your article lays out quite well WHY Christians don't think Buttigeig is a practicing Christian but does absolutely nothing to show that he IS.

Comment

Just answer the question...
      I will - after you either back up your false accusation with a direct quote, or admit you were wrong.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I repeat. As far as you’re concerned: “Buttigieg may well a ‘practicing Christian’ despite being a practicing homosexual who is married to a man”. Yes or No? Unless you can respond in the affirmative you are merely saying what I’ve said you’ve been saying all along, namely that Buttigieg cannot be a REAL Christian. As per the link:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/right-...ian?ref=author
        All CP has maintained is that BUTTIGEIG has not claimed to be a "practicing Christian" - which was YOUR initial claim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          All CP has maintained is that BUTTIGEIG has not claimed to be a "practicing Christian" - which was YOUR initial claim.
          I don't know if he's that stupid or that dishonest to turn it around like he is. I used to think he had at least some modicum of decency.

From a prior post....
          ================================================== ==
          Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          And yet:
          You're not a stupid person, Tass.

Your anti-Christian bigotry causes you to say some really stupid stuff, then your insolent arrogant pride won't let you back down.
          Your claim was that Buttigieg himself claimed to be a practicing Christian -- regardless of what "practicing Christian" means.
          My argument was that the interpretation of scripture varies e.g. the likes of Buttigieg, as a practicing Christian, interprets scripture in such a way that homosexuality is OK with a loving God.
          I could ot care less whether or not Buttigieg is a “practicing Christian”. But he claims to be...
          I don’t care whether or not Buttigieg is a “practicing Christian but he does,...
          What I’ve been arguing about is Buttigieg’s belief that he is a “practicing Christian”...
          ....Buttigieg claims to be a “practicing Christian”...

You have failed to give even ONE example that Buttigieg said any such thing.

You're really not helping yourself with all your kabuki theater.

================================================== ==

And I hereby repent of my claim that Tassman is not a stupid person.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
            On the basis of the data available to date: no.
            Of course not. Someone with an Evangelical background does not usually acknowledge that a practicing homosexual man with a husband can be a REAL Christian.
            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              It is our business as Christians to police ourselves. Who else should?
              It is not your business as an Evangelical to “police” those like Buttigieg, who are not Evangelicals like you. I might add that Buttigieg’s brand of Christianity re homosexuality (and abortion) is the majority view among US Christians.

And also YOU are the one who made the claim he is a "practicing Christian"
              This has been dealt with ad nauseam. I was using the term “practicing” in the generic sense as described by OBP #1064: In my estimation, "practicing Christian" is fairly nebulous and can be considered synonymous with "church-goer" - and it does appear that Buttigieg attends (an Episcopalian) church (from the story rogue06 linked). Buttigieg may not have said those exact words, but it appears that we're squabbling over semantics.”

Exactly.

Also your article lays out quite well WHY Christians don't think Buttigeig is a practicing Christian
              So why did CP, in full knowledge that Buttigieg was a practicing homosexual (having previously railed against it with links as being NOT Christian), say in #1147: “I don't know that Buttigieg IS a "practicing Christian", and I do not know that he is not, nor have I ever declared him not to be”? Well, yes he has. Poor CP seems to have got himself into a bit of a bind. No wonder he’s dredged up the “committed Christian” bit again.
              Last edited by Tassman; 06-11-2019, 12:56 AM.
              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Kind of amusing to watch Tas fitfully flail about in futile attempt to distract attention away from the fact that there is scant evidence that supports his claim that Buttigieg regards himself as a "practicing Christian."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Kind of amusing to watch Tas fitfully flail about in futile attempt to distract attention away from the fact that there is scant evidence that supports his claim that Buttigieg regards himself as a "practicing Christian."
                  There are many reports that Buttigieg regards himself as a practicing Christian as he understands that to be. There may be no personal testimony about how he "discovered" Jesus as his savior, but that's more of an Evangelical thing. And he is not an Evangelical, he is an Episcopalian.

Comment

There are many reports that Buttigieg regards himself as a practicing Christian as he understands that to be. There may be no personal testimony about how he "discovered" Jesus as his savior, but that's more of an Evangelical thing. And he is not an Evangelical, he is an Episcopalian.
                    There are many reports of others considering Buttigieg to be a "practicing Christian" or saying that they think that he regards himself as being a "practicing Christian" but a severe dearth of any evidence that Buttigieg himself has ever made that assertion. If that wasn't the case you would have already posted such statements long ago rather than having commenced with all these attempts to deflect and distract attention away from the fact that you have failed to find such evidence.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Btw, you should probably understand that evangelical and Episcopal are not mutually exclusive terms as you vainly contend. There are numerous evangelical Episcopalians out there.

Comment

It is not your business as an Evangelical to “police” those like Buttigieg, who are not Evangelicals like you. I might add that Buttigieg’s brand of Christianity re homosexuality (and abortion) is the majority view among US Christians.
                        no they are not, and even if they were, they would be wrong - You are presenting a logical fallacy: argumentum ad populum.

And it is our business to judge other Christians. The bible tells us to do so. It was even in reference to sexual immorality too. A pretty parallel situation.

1 Corinthians 5

It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that even pagans do not tolerate: A man is sleeping with his father’s wife. 2 And you are proud! Shouldn’t you rather have gone into mourning and have put out of your fellowship the man who has been doing this? 3 For my part, even though I am not physically present, I am with you in spirit. As one who is present with you in this way, I have already passed judgment in the name of our Lord Jesus on the one who has been doing this. 4 So when you are assembled and I am with you in spirit, and the power of our Lord Jesus is present, 5 hand this man over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved on the day of the Lord.

6 Your boasting is not good. Don’t you know that a little yeast leavens the whole batch of dough? 7 Get rid of the old yeast, so that you may be a new unleavened batch—as you really are. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed. 8 Therefore let us keep the Festival, not with the old bread leavened with malice and wickedness, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

9 I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10 not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. 11 But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people.

12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13 God will judge those outside. “Expel the wicked person from among you.”

--

This has been dealt with ad nauseam.
                        Because you just keep repeating yourself, and then changing your story and claiming you actually argued something else when we can just go back and read your initial posts. The only ad nauseum here is from you.

I was using the term “practicing” in the generic sense as described by OBP #1064: In my estimation, "practicing Christian" is fairly nebulous and can be considered synonymous with "church-goer" - and it does appear that Buttigieg attends (an Episcopalian) church (from the story rogue06 linked). Buttigieg may not have said those exact words, but it appears that we're squabbling over semantics.”
                        So you admit you are an ignoramus who doesn't even understand what "practicing" means?
                        Exactly.
                        I thought so. Thanks for admitting how ignorant you are.

So why did CP, in full knowledge that Buttigieg was a practicing homosexual
                        Wait, so you DO know what a PRACTICING homosexual is, but not a practicing Christian? That's rich!

Comment

Of course not. Someone with an Evangelical background does not usually acknowledge that a practicing homosexual man with a husband can be a REAL Christian.
                          It seems that's the ONLY component of the problem on which you can focus your tiny little anti-Christian bigoted mind.

Comment

Kind of amusing to watch Tas fitfully flail about in futile attempt to distract attention away from the fact that there is scant evidence that supports his claim that Buttigieg regards himself as a "practicing Christian."
                            Which, to anybody with a brain, has been my point all along. The fact that he is openly homosexual is ONE component of the equation. I have been repeatedly asking for other factors to put in the "plus" column.

Comment

There are many reports that Buttigieg regards himself as a practicing Christian as he understands that to be.
                              Yet you are incapable of producing even ONE statement from Buttigieg himself that he considers himself a "practicing Christian". And the articles to which link seem to have more indication that he is NOT than that he is.

Comment

Btw, you should probably understand that evangelical and Episcopal are not mutually exclusive terms as you vainly contend. There are numerous evangelical Episcopalians out there.
                                I'm one of them.
                                I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment