Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

LDS Church to allow baptisms, blessings for children of LGBT parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LDS Church to allow baptisms, blessings for children of LGBT parents

Background:
    November 2015:
    Elder Christofferson explains updated LDS Church policies on same-sex marriage and children

SALT LAKE CITY — Elder D. Todd Christofferson of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles said Friday night that the church's updated policies about same-sex couples and their children are designed to be clear and to protect children from conflict.

The changes to a church handbook released Thursday mandate church discipline for same-sex couples who marry and grew out of questions that came from different parts of the world and the United States, Elder Christofferson said in a video posted on the Mormon Newsroom website.

"We recognize that same-sex marriages are now legal in the United States and some other countries," he said, "and that people have the right if they choose to enter into those, and we understand that, but that's not a right that exists in the church. That's the clarification."

He said the new policy restricting children of same-sex couples from baptism until they are 18 originated from "a desire to protect children in their innocence and in their minority years."

"We don't want the child to have to deal with issues that might arise where the parents feel one way and the expectations of the church are very different," he said.

The update affirmed one of the church's fundamental doctrines, that marriage is between a man and a woman. It also clarified that entering a same-sex marriage is considered apostasy and requires a church disciplinary council. The update states that homosexual relations, especially sexual cohabitation, are serious transgressions for which a disciplinary council may be necessary.
    https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-children.html

-------
    Today:

Church to allow baptisms, blessings for children of LGBT parents, updates handbook regarding 'apostasy'

SALT LAKE CITY — Children of parents who identify themselves as lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender may now be blessed as infants and later baptized as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, according to updates announced Thursday to November 2015 church policies intended at the time to maintain family harmony but perceived as painful among some supporters of the LGBT community.

The church also will update its handbook of instructions for leaders to remove the label of apostasy for homosexual behavior that also was applied in November 2015, said President Dallin H. Oaks
    Tom Christofferson, who describes himself as a gay, single, active member of the church in good standing, was preparing to get on a plane to Utah, where he will deliver a devotional at the Utah Valley Latter-day Saint Institute in Orem on Friday. He said he was thrilled the announcement would lift one worry for gay parents who want to support their children in the church.

Christofferson, the brother of Elder D. Todd Christofferson of the church's Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, welcomed church leaders' statements that the updated policies are the result of inspiration.

"The big message to me is that this continues to be something that the brethren are seeking further light and knowledge on, and I'm really grateful for that," added Christofferson
    President Russell M. Nelson, who succeeded President Monson as church president, was president of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in 2015. He said in early 2016 that the November 2015 policies were the result of revelation. Latter-day Saints believe that God directs the church through ongoing revelation through a living prophet, the church president. President Nelson, who became the church president in January 2018, told general and area authorities from around the world during Thursday morning's meeting that a flurry of policy changes over the past year were inspired by revelation.
    • While same-gender marriage by a church member still is considered a serious transgression, President Oaks said, it no longer will be treated as apostasy for purposes of church discipline
    https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-apostasy.html

=====
    So basically God changed his mind again.

And how can a gay couple even be in the church to have a child that wants to be "blessed?"

And how can a gay person even be a member (the Tom Christofferson mentioned above) of the church since in order to be saved or temple worthy he would have to be married to a woman? And did you notice he is the gay brother of a member of the quorum of 12?

What the heck is going on in the LDS church?

Heresy, like always.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Just like with Polygamy, God keeps changing his mind because the LDS church wants to conform to the world.

Comment

Yup.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

They're turning wine into water.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I don't see how the LDS church can continue to exist much longer. By trying to please everyone, they will end up being nothing.

Comment

And it's SO MUCH EASIER to check out their lies and deception on the web --- I'm still benefiting (locally) from the disastrous "Temple Vision" incident that happened in NW Houston.

(for those unaware - when they were getting ready to build the Temple, the President of the Mormon Church had already made some pronouncements, only to discover that building codes wouldn't allow what he was doing, so he had another "revelation" about how much better it would be to do it a different way. Long story short, the commercial real estate guy I dealt with when I was a Facilities Director was involved in this on the Church's committee, and I invited him to look at the actual plans that the Developer (a friend of mine) had in his office. It became clear to him that the President flat out lied about "his vision", and was backed into a corner by the zoning commission. That led to that couple (and another couple who were friends of theirs) being open to discussions, and both couples subsequently left the Mormon Church. (When my Mormon real estate friend asked his (bishop?) about the controversy, the guy got really angry and blasted my Mormon friend for lack of faith in the President)
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by CP
                faith in the President)
                And there's one of the biggest problems. Instead of faith in GOD and His word, they put it all on a man, just like the RCC.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  And there's one of the biggest problems. Instead of faith in GOD and His word, they put it all on a man, just like the RCC.
                  EGGzackly - especially since the "President" seems to constantly be changing the rules. God never changes.

Comment

They are losing members in Utah. They had to change their doctrine to slow the hemorrhage
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                      They are losing members in Utah. They had to change their doctrine to slow the hemorrhage
                      I think this will have the opposite effect. They might gain some liberal members, but conservative mormons will reject this and leave. In the end, the LDS church will become a bunch of liberals and self-destruct.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        I don't see how the LDS church can continue to exist much longer. By trying to please everyone, they will end up being nothing.
                        From your fingers to God's eyes. Nelson's other talk made me so ticked that I started crying.
                        I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

My daughter Faith just came back from Utah and got to visit the Welcome Center to ask the sisters a few questions. She asked about this, and they hemmed and hawed about "continual revelation", and she asked why God kept changing his mind.
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                            My daughter Faith just came back from Utah and got to visit the Welcome Center to ask the sisters a few questions. She asked about this, and they hemmed and hawed about "continual revelation", and she asked why God kept changing his mind.
                            yep continuing revelation would be new revelation that added to old revelation, not outright contradicted it.

Comment

I wonder if this will even changed their revelation on Baptisms for the Dead and include LGBT members who have passed.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X