Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

LDS Church to allow baptisms, blessings for children of LGBT parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys, it's been quite a while since I've been here. It's nice to see that TWEB is still running. I found this article a little while back that's a very good commentary on the topic of this thread.

https://beggarsbread.org/2019/04/08/...elson-a-break/

Comment

Originally posted by Brown Cat View Post
      Hey guys, it's been quite a while since I've been here. It's nice to see that TWEB is still running. I found this article a little while back that's a very good commentary on the topic of this thread.

https://beggarsbread.org/2019/04/08/...elson-a-break/
      Welcome back, BC!!!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Thanks, CP. It's good to see you again

Comment

Originally posted by Brown Cat View Post
          Thanks, CP. It's good to see you again
          Wow, THIS from the article you posted...

God clearly commanded the original policy that denied baptism for children of LBGTQ parents. But as we all know, even the man upstairs makes mistakes sometimes. All of us, including God, are all on a path to greater knowledge, perfection, and glory. When God repents, the prophet has a sacred duty to take the fall for him.

This pretty much defines the Mormon "God" -- a fallible being who makes mistakes, and hopes to learn from them.

We saw that every time Joseph Smith came up with a "thus saith the Lord", then had to backtrack and "ok, THIS is 'what saith the Lord' now - forget that earlier proclaimation". (like the whole polygamy scam)
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

God clearly commanded the original policy that denied baptism for children of LBGTQ parents. But as we all know, even the man upstairs makes mistakes sometimes. All of us, including God, are all on a path to greater knowledge, perfection, and glory. When God repents, the prophet has a sacred duty to take the fall for him.

This pretty much defines the Mormon "God" -- a fallible being who makes mistakes, and hopes to learn from them.

We saw that every time Joseph Smith came up with a "thus saith the Lord", then had to backtrack and "ok, THIS is 'what saith the Lord' now - forget that earlier proclaimation". (like the whole polygamy scam)
            That's what happens when you base beliefs on lies. You have to keep making up new stuff, and then it gets hard to remember what you said before.

It's the height of blasphemy to say that God makes mistakes. But better the fault be with Him than with man, of course.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

And, for the record, I realize this [the quoted part in the box] was Michael Flournoy's somewhat facetious characterization of the Mormon position, but I thought it was pretty much spot on!

(Let it be known that Flournoy was a Mormon who came to know the REAL Jesus in 2016)

Comment

Why should the children of such parents be denied baptism? Punish the children?

Comment

Originally posted by YHWH RULES View Post
                  Why should the children of such parents be denied baptism? Punish the children?
                  That's Mormonism for you...
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I have this book I bought recently by Isaiah Bennet called "Inside Mormonism" and in it he levels the charge that the Mormon doctrines on God change with politics. All I can say is that the charge is blatantly correct
                    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post

I have this book I bought recently by Isaiah Bennet called "Inside Mormonism" and in it he levels the charge that the Mormon doctrines on God change with politics. All I can say is that the charge is blatantly correct
                      Agreed 100%. But it's always because of a divine revelation from God. Like Smith's 'revelation' that he can have sex with the wives of other men - until Emma had enough.

Comment

Agreed 100%. But it's always because of a divine revelation from God. Like Smith's 'revelation' that he can have sex with the wives of other men - until Emma had enough.
                        I'm always suspicious of a religion where God repeatedly changes His mind to accommodate the current whims of His supposed prophet. Islam has the same issue.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          I'm always suspicious of a religion where God repeatedly changes His mind to accommodate the current whims of His supposed prophet. Islam has the same issue.
                          Absolutely - and Joseph Smith was the MASTER of "divine revelations from God" that catered to his own needs and desires and lusts.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X