Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

New York Times Opinion: A God Problem:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York Times Opinion: A God Problem:

My comments on this editorial are below, interspersed with some of the original text. You can find the link here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/25/o...niscience.html

And I'd urge you to read it on your own, since I will snip parts of it. Also, that gives it page views which will hopefully cause the NYT and other papers to include similar philosophical and theological discussions to take place on their websites.

My comments do not include the entirety of the original text, so I'll use snip to show that I've cut something, usually a paragraph. You can feel free to see whether or not I need to address those points:

To all non-western thinkers? Like Muslims? Or Hindus who believe that all gods are simply parts of the one supreme God, Brahman?
    This is coming across as pretty loose
    What we sometimes call logically-qualified omniscience: God can do anything logically possible.

This is a weird line to me, given its inclusion in this paragraph where we accept, for the sake of argument, logically-qualified omnipotence My quibble here then is that, iirc, Descartes is not so much talking about incoherent omnipotence, but more the idea that God, as author of reality, can bend reality in whatever way he sees fit.
    I suppose this is possible. Such a God could create a world in which evil does not exist.
    snip
    not the samelogicallyimo, this carries over into the New Testament -- we are unrighteous, not because of sin, but our own. If we face judgement, it is because we ourselvespossibility of wickedness. If a one cannot be wicked, then that one cannot also be righteous.
    snip
    That seems like a lot to conclude from a phrase sewn into a jacket.
    "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
    Hear my cry, hear my shout,
    Save me, save me"

Looking at that, I consider the possibility that "God" is distinguished from "god" - and (yappari)

According to Oxford Dictionary:

1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment