Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Texas bans all clergy from executions after Supreme Court ruling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas bans all clergy from executions after Supreme Court ruling

Texas bans all clergy from executions after Supreme Court ruling

DALLAS — Texas prisons will no longer allow clergy in the death chamber after the U.S. Supreme Court blocked the scheduled execution of a man who argued his religious freedom would be violated if his Buddhist spiritual adviser couldn’t accompany him.

Effective immediately, the Texas Department of Criminal Justice will only permit prison security staff into the execution chamber, a spokesman said Wednesday. The policy change comes in response to the high court’s ruling staying the execution of Patrick Murphy, a member of the “Texas 7” gang of escaped prisoners.

Texas previously allowed state-employed clergy to accompany inmates into the room where they’d be executed, but its prison staff included only Christian and Muslim clerics.

In light of this policy, the Supreme Court ruled Thursday that Texas couldn’t move forward with Murphy’s punishment unless his Buddhist adviser or another Buddhist reverend of the state’s choosing accompanied him.

One of Murphy’s lawyers, David Dow, said the policy change does not address their full legal argument and mistakes the main thrust of the court’s decision.

“Their arbitrary and, at least for now, hostile response to all religion reveals a real need for close judicial oversight of the execution protocol,” Dow said.

Murphy’s attorneys told the high court that executing him without his spiritual adviser in the room would violate the First Amendment right to freedom of religion. The 57-year-old — who was among a group of inmates who escaped from a Texas prison in 2000 and then committed numerous robberies, including one where a police officer was fatally shot — became a Buddhist while in prison nearly a decade ago.

In his concurring opinion, the court’s newest justice, Brett Kavanaugh, wrote that Texas had two options going forward: allow all inmates to have a religious adviser of their religion in the execution room, or allow religious advisers only in the viewing room, not the execution room.

“The government may not discriminate against religion generally or against particular religious denominations,” Kavanaugh wrote.

Kristin Houlé, executive director of the Texas Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty, called the new policy “cruel and unusual,” and urged the department to reconsider.

Prison chaplains will still be able to observe executions from a witness room and meet with inmates on death row beforehand, said Texas Department of Criminal Justice spokesman Jeremy Desel. He declined to elaborate on the reasoning behind the policy change.....
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

smiley shock-wait.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

How hard is it for a bunch of adults who presumably have mastered scheduling enough to coordinate days and needs for executions to also provide for an appropriate cleric to be there at the appointed time. Is there one over-taxed scheduling secretary who just-literally-can't-even?

I don't get it.
      "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
      Hear my cry, hear my shout,
      Save me, save me"

Comment

Why don't they just allow the a Buddhist cleric then?
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          I don't understand all I know about this, KG. I kinda wonder if they're concerned they're gonna open the door to Wicca, Islam, Church of Satan.... I really don't know.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I don't understand all I know about this, KG. I kinda wonder if they're concerned they're gonna open the door to Wicca, Islam, Church of Satan.... I really don't know.
            Likely. Could you imagine some "priest" chanting something about this being a sacrifice to his Lord Satan?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Likely. Could you imagine some "priest" chanting something about this being a sacrifice to his Lord Satan?
              I remember years ago when we were dealing with the "prayer in school" issue, and somebody mentioned "what if a Muslim decided he wanted to do a Muslim prayer over the PA system at the football game....". Who knew!

Comment

I think they're pretty restrictive as to who can be in the execution chambers. As prisons have a priest or a minister come in to perform services, said priest or minister presumably have gone through all the rigamarole of getting authorization for this sort of thing already, but not so much a Buddhist cleric.

Could be totally wrong, though. And even under such circumstances, they could presumably get them the necessary authorization or training or whatever is necessary.

Comment

When I read, "his religious freedom would be violated if his Buddhist spiritual adviser couldn’t accompany him." I thought the problem was that he wanted his spiritual advisor to accompany him to the afterlife.

Carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    When I read, "his religious freedom would be violated if his Buddhist spiritual adviser couldn’t accompany him." I thought the problem was that he wanted his spiritual advisor to accompany him to the afterlife.

Carry on.

Perhaps the condemned man can be "rebirthed" as a prison warden!

Comment

Perhaps the condemned man can be "rebirthed" as a prison warden!
                      But that would start a time loop!

Comment

If somebody insisted on having a representative from one of those in the chamber with them, I imagine it wouldn't be the end of the world, though.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

If somebody insisted on having a representative from one of those in the chamber with them, I imagine it wouldn't be the end of the world, though.
                          I've been to "The Walls" unit in Huntsville many times - I used to live there. I've been to the death chamber - in the 'witness box*' -- I actually recall only a few times when a minister was actually inside the death room. I never have been. Mind you, this has been 25 years or more ago, but the minister typically walked with the guy down to the preparation room, had a final prayer with the condemned, then went to the witness box. So, yeah, I don't really think it's such a big deal.

The most outstanding (in my mind) death row visit I had was with an African-American man who had killed a police officer. He was pretty incredible, in that he fully confessed his crime, clearly stated he deserved to die, but I'll never forget his big smile as he told me, "but though I am guilty in this life, I am covered by the blood of Jesus, and He will present me faultless to the Father - I'm so ready to be with Jesus that this ain't no big thing". (He was saved in prison) He said "I'm going to be with Jesus - in spite of what I've done, because of who He is".

I wasn't there for his execution, but I read in the paper that he made a final statement of "apology and repentance", and "died with a smile on his face".

*there are actually two viewing rooms - one for the family, friends and associates of the condemned, and one for the victims of his crime.

Comment