Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Giant bugs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giant bugs.

I recently saw Nausicaä valley of the wind. A great movie. That got my thinking is it possible for giant bugs to exist? I have seen some interesting bugs in my time. I heard there is a prehistoric centipede the size of a horse.
    sigpic

Not really. Unless they had much thicker, stronger legs. Their legs are so thin in proportion to their body, that as you scale it up the legs become unable to support their weight. The only reason those tiny stick legs support them as they are is because most bugs weigh a negligible amount. The legs don't need to support much.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
      I recently saw Nausicaä valley of the wind. A great movie. That got my thinking is it possible for giant bugs to exist? I have seen some interesting bugs in my time. I heard there is a prehistoric centipede the size of a horse.
      They never got that big. Some of the largest were a genus of extinct insects from the Carboniferous period (approximately 300 mya) known as Meganeura, which are related to modern-day dragonflies. The largest, Meganeuropsis permiana had wingspans in excess of 2 feet. Generally it is thought that the much higher level of oxygen in the atmosphere during that time along with a lack of predators were the reasons that they were able to achieve this size.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        They never got that big. Some of the largest were a genus of extinct insects from the Carboniferous period (approximately 300 mya) known as Meganeura, which are related to modern-day dragonflies. The largest, Meganeuropsis permiana had wingspans in excess of 2 feet. Generally it is thought that the much higher level of oxygen in the atmosphere during that time along with a lack of predators were the reasons that they were able to achieve this size.
        The Meganeura was the largest flying insect in history. but the Carboniferous was dominated by large arthropods. The largest was arthropleura which was a segmented animal like a centipede that reached 2 meters+ in length.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Comment

Forced perspective caused by holding the centipede closer to the camera. That's Scolopendra subspinipes commonly known as the Vietnamese Centipede and has a maximum length of 8 inches.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Now that you mention it - that string should have been a dead give-away.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
              Scripture before Tradition:
              but that won't prevent others from
              taking it upon themselves to deprive you
              of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Forced perspective caused by holding the centipede closer to the camera. That's Scolopendra subspinipes commonly known as the Vietnamese Centipede and has a maximum length of 8 inches.
                not so sure. Looking at it's tail legs, they appear to be resting on the track between the guys legs.

Comment

Anything that big would weigh enough to pull the string taut, I think.
                  1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                  Scripture before Tradition:
                  but that won't prevent others from
                  taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                  of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                    Anything that big would weigh enough to pull the string taut, I think.
                    Either way, i'm crossing Vietnam off my list of places to visit.
                    "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                      I'm surprised it was on the list in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        not so sure. Looking at it's tail legs, they appear to be resting on the track between the guys legs.
                        Looks like its just hanging on a string.

Comment

That picture should have been posted with a warning!

Like any catfish picture!

My skin is crawling now.........

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
                            They're found throughout much of eastern Asia.

Comment

They're found throughout much of eastern Asia.
                              Hawaii:

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/3...ong-centipede/

Trigger warning for mossy!!! There are NO Catfish pictured in the link!

Comment