Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

On the horizon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the horizon

9am US eastern tomorrow, there will be a series of press conferences from the people behind the Event Horizon Telescope. The "telescope" is actually a collection of hardware scattered across continents and islands, with the data from each site being merged by computers to create the equivalent of an instrument with a diameter the same as the distance between its furthest parts (which currently seem to be Greenland and the South Pole). It was put together specifically to image the environment near a black hole.

While black holes trap light, the matter near them is ramped up to very high energies by the intense gravity, and emits copious amounts of light at various wavelengths. By imaging this matter, we can figure out its structure, and thus learn more about the forces that create that structure. Initial targets for observation are the supermassive black holes in the Milky Way and some of our neighboring galaxies.

The collaboration is being extremely tight-lipped about what's going to be revealed tomorrow. But the US' National Science Foundation will be live-streaming the press conference on YouTube, so you can find out just as soon as most other people. Details here:

https://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=298155
    "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Neat! Looking forward to the results.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

They are going to tell us a black hole has been released by the Large Hadron Collider and is currently eating the Earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        They are going to tell us a black hole has been released by the Large Hadron Collider and is currently eating the Earth.

Tonight as it starts to get darker, just know that it isn't due to the sun setting but because the Black Hole is devouring everything

[*cue ominous music*]

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

No . . . that is Pacman.
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

live stream here:

https://www.nsf.gov/news/special_reports/blackholes/

Comment

hole.jpg

Comment

So. Black holes are just big eyeballs.

Yawn.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  So. Black holes are just big eyeballs.

Yawn.
                  Sauron's eyeball.

Comment

"Black hole picture captured for first time in space breakthrough"

Source: Black hole picture captured for first time in space breakthrough

blackhole.jpg

Astronomers have captured the first image of a black hole, heralding a revolution in our understanding of the universe’s most enigmatic objects.

The picture shows a halo of dust and gas, tracing the outline of a colossal black hole, at the heart of the Messier 87 galaxy, 55m light years from Earth.

The black hole itself – a cosmic trapdoor from which neither light nor matter can escape – is unseeable. But the latest observations take astronomers right to its threshold for the first time, illuminating the event horizon beyond which all known physical laws collapse.

The breakthrough image was captured by the Event Horizon telescope (EHT), a network of eight radio telescopes spanning locations from Antarctica to Spain and Chile, in an effort involving more than 200 scientists.

Sheperd Doeleman, EHT director and Harvard University senior research fellow said: “Black holes are the most mysterious objects in the universe. We have seen what we thought was unseeable. We have taken a picture of a black hole.”

France Córdova, director of the US National Science Foundation and an astrophysicist, said that the image, which she had only seen as it was unveiled at the press briefing she was chairing, had brought tears to her eyes. “We have been studying black holes for so long that sometimes it’s easy to forget that none of us has seen one,” she said. “This will leave an imprint on people’s memories.”

The image gives the first direct glimpse of a black hole’s accretion disc, a fuzzy doughnut-shaped ring of gas and dust that steadily “feeds” the monster within.

The EHT picks up radiation emitted by particles within the disc that are heated to billions of degrees as they swirl around the black hole at close to the speed of light, before vanishing down the plughole.

The halo’s crescent-like appearance in the image is because the particles in the side of the disc rotating towards Earth are flung towards us faster and so appear brighter. The dark shadow within marks the edge of the event horizon, the point of no return, beyond which no light or matter can travel fast enough to escape the inexorable gravitational pull of the black hole.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...e-breakthrough

© Copyright Original Source

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I see Jesus' face in it! The Bible is true?
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                        I see Jesus' face in it! The Bible is true?
                        Click on the article link and look for the picture of the computer science student who contributed to this project if you want to see one of God's finest creations.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Click on the article link and look for the picture of the computer science student who contributed to this project if you want to see one of God's finest creations.
                          The cute girl with the big nose?
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            Source: Black hole picture captured for first time in space breakthrough

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36279[/ATTACH]

Astronomers have captured the first image of a black hole, heralding a revolution in our understanding of the universe’s most enigmatic objects.

The picture shows a halo of dust and gas, tracing the outline of a colossal black hole, at the heart of the Messier 87 galaxy, 55m light years from Earth.

The black hole itself – a cosmic trapdoor from which neither light nor matter can escape – is unseeable. But the latest observations take astronomers right to its threshold for the first time, illuminating the event horizon beyond which all known physical laws collapse.

The breakthrough image was captured by the Event Horizon telescope (EHT), a network of eight radio telescopes spanning locations from Antarctica to Spain and Chile, in an effort involving more than 200 scientists.

Sheperd Doeleman, EHT director and Harvard University senior research fellow said: “Black holes are the most mysterious objects in the universe. We have seen what we thought was unseeable. We have taken a picture of a black hole.”

France Córdova, director of the US National Science Foundation and an astrophysicist, said that the image, which she had only seen as it was unveiled at the press briefing she was chairing, had brought tears to her eyes. “We have been studying black holes for so long that sometimes it’s easy to forget that none of us has seen one,” she said. “This will leave an imprint on people’s memories.”

The image gives the first direct glimpse of a black hole’s accretion disc, a fuzzy doughnut-shaped ring of gas and dust that steadily “feeds” the monster within.

The EHT picks up radiation emitted by particles within the disc that are heated to billions of degrees as they swirl around the black hole at close to the speed of light, before vanishing down the plughole.

The halo’s crescent-like appearance in the image is because the particles in the side of the disc rotating towards Earth are flung towards us faster and so appear brighter. The dark shadow within marks the edge of the event horizon, the point of no return, beyond which no light or matter can travel fast enough to escape the inexorable gravitational pull of the black hole.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...e-breakthrough

© Copyright Original Source

Moderated By: rogue06: The Black Hole of Tweb

Thread merged with one discussing same subject

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                            Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                              The cute girl with the big nose?
                              Hey, now, my wife is 50% Italian and resembles that remark.

Comment