Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The ROOF fell in!!!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Demolition continues, and it's OBVIOUS now that the two PREVIOUS "repairs" were merely "cover up" not repairs.... some of the metal decking had overlapping seams that were not sealed, and several of these were just above where the internal leaks were most problematic.

roof demo.jpg

These guys are going down to the bare metal deck, the bottom of which you can see from the hallway below. The seams in the foreground were not sealed at all, and water just ran down through them. (They ends of the metal panels were overlapped, but there were actually some gaps between the layers)
    --- this space intentionally left blank ---

2. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Demolition continues, and it's OBVIOUS now that the two PREVIOUS "repairs" were merely "cover up" not repairs.... some of the metal decking had overlapping seams that were not sealed, and several of these were just above where the internal leaks were most problematic.

roof demo.jpg

These guys are going down to the bare metal deck, the bottom of which you can see from the hallway below. The seams in the foreground were not sealed at all, and water just ran down through them. (They ends of the metal panels were overlapped, but there were actually some gaps between the layers)
    You have to watch roofers!

I had my leaking roof replaced on my last home (really old house) and when the roofer came out he promised me to take the roof down to the wood and replace any rotten wood (which I knew was there because I could see it from inside the attic) - but when the workers came they were a bunch of mexicans who didn't speak any english. I asked the roofer if he explained the details to them and he said he did, then drove away. I didn't trust him so I stayed home and watched them. They just started putting the roofing right over top of the rotten wood. I made them stop and called the boss back out and he tried to play it off. If I wasn't there, I would have had a leaky roof in a few months again.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    You have to watch roofers!

I had my leaking roof replaced on my last home (really old house) and when the roofer came out he promised me to take the roof down to the wood and replace any rotten wood (which I knew was there because I could see it from inside the attic) - but when the workers came they were a bunch of mexicans who didn't speak any english. I asked the roofer if he explained the details to them and he said he did, then drove away. I didn't trust him so I stayed home and watched them. They just started putting the roofing right over top of the rotten wood. I made them stop and called the boss back out and he tried to play it off. If I wasn't there, I would have had a leaky roof in a few months again.
    We actually have a construction manager (besides me ) who actually appears on the jobsite several times a day, takes pictures, compares specs, and gives a written daily report. And when I was up there taking this picture, the Mexican man I spoke with (not pictured) spoke VERY good English, and obviously had a good working knowledge of the mechanics of the project.

He pointed out to me a flaw in the design plan, and said, "I won't change it without talking to engineers, cause everything has to have a change stamp, but if we do it like it's drawn, you'll still have problems". The design plan didn't account for a slope where the drain was actually "uphill" from the downside of the slope.

He said, "even when water is drained to the bottom of this drain flange, you STILL have 4" of water over there that will not come uphill".
    --- this space intentionally left blank ---

5. Amen Sparko amen'd this post.
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    CP, the card is in the mail.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.