The death of Jesus at the hands of the Romans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The death of Jesus at the hands of the Romans

Let's say that the Jewish leaders did not bring Jesus to the Romans to be executed.

Do you think the Romans would have eventually killed Jesus anyway because He had such a huge following?

Thanks.

Not unless they suspected that his motives were political rather than religious.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

People don't get that Jesus would have died exactly as He did because GOD was orchestrating everything.

It is impossible to even consider "what if" in this or any other situation regarding Christ because the sovereignty of God was in place every moment of His life, and, in fact, before time began.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
        Not unless they suspected that his motives were political rather than religious.
        Just saw one of those History Channel "documentaries" on this, and they were heavily leaning on the fact that it was a Roman action, and only in the second century was the story "managed" to blame the Jews.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Just saw one of those History Channel "documentaries" on this, and they were heavily leaning on the fact that it was a Roman action, and only in the second century was the story "managed" to blame the Jews.
          The Jewish leaders were absolutely pulling the strings. Even Pilate wanted to let him go, but didn't dare stand up to them. If it weren't for the Jews, the Romans wouldn't have killed him, but also if it wasn't for the Jews he wouldn't have even been there in the first place.
          Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

The Jewish leaders were absolutely pulling the strings. Even Pilate wanted to let him go, but didn't dare stand up to them. If it weren't for the Jews, the Romans wouldn't have killed him, but also if it wasn't for the Jews he wouldn't have even been there in the first place.
            Yeah, you and I know that - this "documentary", however, insisted that we have a very twisted view of Pilate and who he was, and sounds downright conspiratorial in "the Early Christians were blaming the Jews" because the early Christians were downright antisemitic.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
              People don't get that Jesus would have died exactly as He did because GOD was orchestrating everything.
              I understand that, but didn't the Romans think any Messianic claim would be a problem for them?

Do you know if the Romans killed any want-a-be messiahs?

I'm dealing with a Muslim who said someone else was on the cross and that "Allah" saved Jesus from death. Of course that didn't happen.

Comment

Pilate was not a nice guy. I think he was just toying with the Jews.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
                  I understand that, but didn't the Romans think any Messianic claim would be a problem for them?
                  At festivals, the population of Jerusalem would swell to as much as 10 time normal, so, yeah, whenever somebody had an audience of that many people, you can bet your gladiator costume the Romans would be concerned.

Do you know if the Romans killed any want-a-be messiahs?
                  That's an interesting question!

I'm dealing with a Muslim who said someone else was on the cross and that "Allah" saved Jesus from death. Of course that didn't happen.

Comment

Pilate was not a nice guy. I think he was just toying with the Jews.
                    Pilate was afraid of the Jews. They had already gotten him into trouble with Caesar and he knew that if he didn't do what they wanted he would end up back in Rome before the emperor.

Here is a little bit about why Pilate was already in trouble with the Jews:

https://www.gty.org/library/sermons-...e-before-jesus

There's more in the same sermon transcript. I don't know if I'm supposed to post much more, but there's this:

And this. I urge you to read the whole thing.

In the thirteenth chapter of Luke, in the opening five verses, it says he sent some of his men into the temple where some Jewish people were making sacrifice, and they took their knives and slaughtered all the people who were making sacrifices in the temple. This is Pilate. He was called back to Rome in 36 A.D., he was exiled to Gaul, and he killed himself, according to Josephus.
                    Indeed, he wasn't a nice guy, but he was in a very tough spot and didn't want to aggravate the Jews any more than he already had.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

The Romans probably didn't know much about Jesus and what He taught.

I wonder if they might come to the conclusion Jesus was a zealot. If so, they would have taken him out.

Comment

I wonder if they might come to the conclusion Jesus was a zealot. If so, they would have taken him out.

Comment

It's complicated.

Comment

Jesus didn't seem to speak of Himself as Messiah in public settings. If the message of Jesus being Messiah had strongly gotten spread out to the community, the Roman authorities possibly could have become interested.

If Jesus was not gathering armies and not talking hostile about the Romans, the Roman government would have little reason to be concerned about Jesus. Nor did the Pharisees acknowledge Jesus as Messiah.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              At festivals, the population of Jerusalem would swell to as much as 10 time normal, so, yeah, whenever somebody had an audience of that many people, you can bet your gladiator costume the Romans would be concerned.

That's an interesting question!

Comment