Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

There Was Spying On The Trump Campaign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There Was Spying On The Trump Campaign

This is going to get interesting...

WASHINGTON, April 10 (Reuters) - Attorney General William Barr said on Wednesday U.S. intelligence agencies engaged in spying directed at the 2016 presidential campaign of Donald Trump and that he would look at whether the surveillance was undertaken legally.

"I think spying did occur," Barr told a Senate hearing. "But the question is whether it was adequately predicated and I am not suggesting that it wasn't adequately predicated. ... I am not suggesting those rules were violated, but I think it is important to look at that. And I am not talking about the FBI necessarily, but intelligence agencies more broadly.

"I think spying on a political campaign is a big deal - it's a big deal."

http://news.trust.org/item/20190410144125-laelo
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Well, Barr is clearly compromised by the Russians, so....
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
      Well, Barr is clearly compromised by the Russians, so....
      Then there is that...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        This is going to get interesting...

WASHINGTON, April 10 (Reuters) - Attorney General William Barr said on Wednesday U.S. intelligence agencies engaged in spying directed at the 2016 presidential campaign of Donald Trump and that he would look at whether the surveillance was undertaken legally.

"I think spying did occur," Barr told a Senate hearing. "But the question is whether it was adequately predicated and I am not suggesting that it wasn't adequately predicated. ... I am not suggesting those rules were violated, but I think it is important to look at that. And I am not talking about the FBI necessarily, but intelligence agencies more broadly.

"I think spying on a political campaign is a big deal - it's a big deal."

http://news.trust.org/item/20190410144125-laelo
        As there should have been.

Given the connections between so many involved and the Russians, there should have been spying. Our intelligence communities would have been remiss given the known ties (and now known convictions of so many involved .esp Manafort and Cohen, even up to and including the compromise of Flynn) NOT to have investigated those connections.

In case you were not aware, (excepting of course Donald Trump bypassing such rules for his children and friends), if one is to have access to classified or otherwise compromising intelligence information pertaining the the US - ALL foreign contacts of a potentially compromising nature MUST be disclosed and likely will be investigated. Any such connection NOT disclosed ARE grounds for suspicion, and in the cases of mere mortals, the potential loss of access to said information.

They don't have to actually be a problem for the requirement for disclosure to apply. Just the appearance of a problem IS a problem.

Anyone running for office that has such hidden connections should be, and apparently was, investigated.

Jim
        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-10-2019, 11:42 AM.
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Given the connections between so many involved and the Russians, there should have been spying. Our intelligence communities would have been remiss given the known ties (and now known convictions of so many involved, including the compromise of Flynn) NOT to have investigated those connections.

Jim
          Where wasn't there spying on the Clinton campaign with their connections to Russia?

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-ho...-the-democrats

Comment

Given the connections between so many involved and the Russians, there should have been spying. Our intelligence communities would have been remiss given the known ties (and now known convictions of so many involved, including the compromise of Flynn) NOT to have investigated those connections.

Jim
            That's crazy Jim. A government spying on the people running for election?
            Especially the opposition party? That smacks of totalitarianism.

Comment

Where wasn't there spying on the Clinton campaign with their connections to Russia?

I don't believe I said one thing about any other person or organization on the face of the earth. The general principles I gave should be applied uniformly to all people and groups. Your comment is inappropriate as nothing I said excused any other potentially guilty party.

Jim
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

I don't believe I said one thing about any other person or organization on the face of the earth. The general principles I gave should be applied uniformly to all people and groups. Your comment is inappropriate as nothing I said excused any other potentially guilty party.

Jim
                Correct. What this all shows is that we have quite many people on tweb who claim to believe in absolute standards but rely on relativism for all practical purposes.
                "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  That's crazy Jim. A government spying on the people running for election?
                  Especially the opposition party? That smacks of totalitarianism.
                  I'm sorry Sparko - you clearly do not understand what security clearances and national security is about. Any potential threat has to be pursued. People hiding contacts with potential threats are themselves potential threats. It doesn't matter who those people are. It is a simple fact that people running for office that have characteristics that would otherwise disqualify them from access to critical information should be investigated and if necessary spied upon. And the sooner the better so that if there is a problem they can be exposed before they get into office.

Yes, IF the organizations managing national security are populated with people loyal to a party or an individual rather than the constitution it is a problem.

But that is why Trump is such a problem. He as much or more than any before him wants all our critical apolitical offices to be populated with people loyal to himself above all else. And so far, thankfully, he's had a hard time finding people that will compromise themselves that fully. That is why he has fired so many people.

The organizations that manage these issues are intended to be and should be apolitical. Their loyalty MUST be to the rule of law and the constitution itself.

But the blind support of so many to Trump, no matter what he does, has opened the door like never before to the actual compromise of these institutions that protect us by caring more about the constitution and the rule of law that who happens to currently be in power.

Jim
                  Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-10-2019, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                    Correct. What this all shows is that we have quite many people on tweb who claim to believe in absolute standards but rely on relativism for all practical purposes.
                    Unfortunately, that is true from what I can tell, at least in politics.

But even more unfortunately, TWEB is simply a reflection of the approach of a majority in the larger US evangelical/conservative population.

Jim

Comment

Jim
                      The point is Jim, there seems to be a double standard. Read the link, there were as many, if not more, connections to the Clinton campaign. But no spying on them... It looks like a political strategy by the Obama administration.

Comment

Unfortunately, that is true from what I can tell, at least in politics.

But even more unfortunately, TWEB is simply a reflection of the approach of a majority in the larger US evangelical/conservative population.

Jim
                        Who did you vote for Jim?

Comment

Doesn't matter. The election had no good choices. Everyone had to vote for the lesser of two evils as they saw it, write in someone that could not win, or simply not vote.

I do not form any opinions about people based on who they voted for in the 2016 election.

The test is what do you do once the election is over. Regardless of who you voted for, do you support the winner when they are acting badly, or do you speak out against them because you stand for something more than political expediency. Can you acknowledge the winner if they are doing good, even if you don't like their overall approach? Those are the tests.

Jim
                          Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-10-2019, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Exactly!

And moreover, why wasn't Trump informed about possible infiltration in the same way that the FBI informed Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif. -- then chairwoman of the Senate Intelligence Committee) of the Chinese spy in her midsts who was an office staffer, her chauffeur and liaison to the Asian-American community for, IIRC, something like 20 years? In one case, the FBI briefed Feinstein, but in the other, they proceeded to use informants and surveillance warrants to spy on the Trump campaign. And let's not forget, in the former there was an actual spy whereas in the latter there was absolutely nothing.

As the Wall Street Journal oh so correctly asked "is why the bureau didn’t treat him as a potential President with the same customary courtesy?" noting that "rather than give the Trump campaign the usual defensive briefing, the FBI launched an unprecedented counterintelligence investigation into a president’s campaign, running informants against it and obtaining surveillance warrants."

And I wonder if any of those who sneered and mocked Trump for saying that the FBI was wire tapping him and listed it as one of his most audacious lies will be apologizing any time soon.

Yeah, I'm kidding. Not in a million years.

More likely they'll be congratulating themselves for it just like the MSM has been doing over their now indisputable fake news about Russian collusion with all their fraudulent "bombshells" and talk of imminent impeachment. And just like the Washington Post, which listed Trump's denials of collusion as the largest category of "lies" and refuses to remove them from their list, Trump's claim of being surveilled will continue to remain on the various lists of his supposed lies.

TDS is an ugly thing.
                            Last edited by rogue06; 04-10-2019, 12:11 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

While I cannot answer on Jim's behalf I would suggest more people were concerned with what and whom they continue to support. It is actually possible to vote for someone as a lesser evil while still pointing out that the errors they make and try to point them in the right direction.
                              "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment