Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

New species of ancient human found in Philippines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New species of ancient human found in Philippines

And small (roughly 1.2 meters or 4' tall) like Homo floresiensis from Indonesia.

Source: A new species of Homo from the Late Pleistocene of the Philippines

Abstract

A hominin third metatarsal discovered in 2007 in Callao Cave (Northern Luzon, the Philippines) and dated to 67 thousand years ago provided the earliest direct evidence of a human presence in the Philippines. Analysis of this foot bone suggested that it belonged to the genus Homo, but to which species was unclear. Here we report the discovery of twelve additional hominin elements that represent at least three individuals that were found in the same stratigraphic layer of Callao Cave as the previously discovered metatarsal. These specimens display a combination of primitive and derived morphological features that is different from the combination of features found in other species in the genus Homo (including Homo floresiensis and Homo sapiens) and warrants their attribution to a new species, which we name Homo luzonensis. The presence of another and previously unknown hominin species east of the Wallace Line during the Late Pleistocene epoch underscores the importance of island Southeast Asia in the evolution of the genus Homo.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Further Reading:

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Great reference! Thanks!
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

So these are the real hobbits and the other ones were dwarves.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        So these are the real hobbits and the other ones were dwarves.
        Halflings and Hobbits.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Halflings and Hobbits.
          I thought halflings were hobbits.

Comment

I thought halflings were hobbits.
            Never let the lawyers for Tolkien's estate hear you say that.

Comment

But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

FWICT the hand full of fossilized remains of Homo luzonensis, which include bones from the hands and feet as well as teeth, exhibit a mosaic of what can be called both primitive as well as modern features in a combination of traits that have never been seen before. The premolars reveal primitive characteristics whereas the molars are much more derived (modern), while the hands and feet seem more acclimated to an arboreal existence than what is seen abong Homo sapiens (us) or even Neandertals, Denisovans or Homo floresiensis.

This discovery has resulted in raising a whole slew of questions the answers to which will almost certainly force a rewriting the history of human origins.

Comment

Tolkien fans here? This is absolutely the forum I should be in.

Comment

I am waiting for the orc skeletons.

Comment

They're probably lurking around somewhere in the back blocks of my homeland.
                      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                      Scripture before Tradition:
                      but that won't prevent others from
                      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Checkout the basement of the White House.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                          Checkout the basement of the White House.
                          That would be pork.

Comment

That would be pork.
                            The butchered remains of pigs along with deer and a type of extinct cow have been found in the same level of sediment that Homo luzonensis was uncovered in, but as yet no tools have been found. But considered that the butchered remains of rhinoceroses along with stone tools have been discovered in that area, and that have been dated back to 700,000 years ago, it is possible that this lineage have lived on the island since at least that long. If so that could mean that Homo luzonensis represents a locally adapted population of Homo erectus.

Comment

The butchered remains of pigs along with deer and a type of extinct cow have been found in the same level of sediment that Homo luzonensis was uncovered in, but as yet no tools have been found. But considered that the butchered remains of rhinoceroses along with stone tools have been discovered in that area, and that have been dated back to 700,000 years ago, it is possible that this lineage have lived on the island since at least that long. If so that could mean that Homo luzonensis represents a locally adapted population of Homo erectus.
                              Source for bold?

Frank

Comment