Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Julian Assange arrested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    That is what I was thinking. The Justice Dept News release mentioned 5 years max. Heck he would have been better off just doing the 5 years and being a free man rather than living like a hermit holed up in an embassy all these years.
    Even prisoners get regular exercise and exposure to the sun.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      I wonder if England will actually send him back to the US for trial...
      Extradition process likely to be at least one year, sometimes several years long. There is a legal process to go through and I expect that Assange will not want to go Stateside if he can help it.

I can imagine that people here might want to ask him about the 2016 US election shenanigans, making due allowance for journalistic freedoms. Without Assange, no Trump?
      Last edited by firstfloor; 04-12-2019, 05:34 AM.
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

I keep looking at this picture and thinking, "They arrested Santa Claus!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          I keep looking at this picture and thinking, "They arrested Santa Claus!"
          or

Comment

The death penalty for spying does exist in US law, so it's possible but unlikely to apply to Assange's case. However, his lawyers apparently used that mere possibility as an excuse to never have him extradited to the US.
            FWIU he's actually looking at charges that typically result in a sentence of 5-10 years.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
              He looked like Manson...
              More like Santa Claus on crack. Especially sme of the pix of him being dragged from the embassy.

As an aside I've heard rumors that his cat had a lot to do with the Ecuadorians finally getting fed up with him. Apparently they got tired f it ripping up expensive furniture, coughing up fur balls and defecating on rare carpets and the like.

Would be kinda funny if that's what got him kicked out.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Even prisoners get regular exercise and exposure to the sun.
                He's seems to be afraid of other prisoners either beating or even killing him with guards turning a blind eye toward it.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  More like Santa Claus on crack. Especially sme of the pix of him being dragged from the embassy.

As an aside I've heard rumors that his cat had a lot to do with the Ecuadorians finally getting fed up with him. Apparently they got tired f it ripping up expensive furniture, coughing up fur balls and defecating on rare carpets and the like.

Would be kinda funny if that's what got him kicked out.
                  What got him kicked out was a lack of respect for his hosts

Ecuadorian President Lenin Moreno has accused WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange of repeatedly violating the conditions of his seven years of asylum in Ecuador's embassy in Britain.

In a speech to the Ecuadorian Broadcasting Association on Tuesday, Moreno accused the whistleblowing organization of intercepting phone calls and private conversations and also complained about “photos of my bedroom, what I eat, and how my wife and daughters and friends dance.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...sy/3350973002/

Comment

What got him kicked out was a lack of respect for his hosts

Ecuadorian President Lenin Moreno has accused WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange of repeatedly violating the conditions of his seven years of asylum in Ecuador's embassy in Britain.

In a speech to the Ecuadorian Broadcasting Association on Tuesday, Moreno accused the whistleblowing organization of intercepting phone calls and private conversations and also complained about “photos of my bedroom, what I eat, and how my wife and daughters and friends dance.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...sy/3350973002/
                    and according to that story Assange is only 47! The years have not been kind to him. He looks like he is in his 70s.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      That... is entirely plausible. I suspect they do these things out of pure spite. I should know. I have three of them!

Comment

That... is entirely plausible. I suspect they do these things out of pure spite. I should know. I have three of them!

Comment

Rule of Specialty - charges and extradition, you cannot add additional charges after you have him in US custody.

Will Barr ignore WikiLeaks role in election interference?
                          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
                            Will Barr ignore WikiLeaks role in election interference?
                            As usual, there's more to this than is immediately obvious

----------

...these comments by Rosenstein highlight the U.S. intelligence community need to throw a bag over Julian Assange; IF they are going to retain the premise that Mueller needs to justify the CIA/FBI predicate for the counterintelligence operation.

Mueller and Rosenstein’s special counsel was an extension of the original counterintelligence operation. Mueller and Rosenstein need to preserve the predicate in order to avoid questions around why they continued and extended a fraudulent probe.

If Assange can disprove the Russia DNC hacking claims by the CIA (Brennan), ODNI (Clapper) and FBI (Strzok and Comey), which are more likely fraudulent justifications to execute the Trump campaign surveillance operation, then Assange becomes a risk that must be controlled/removed. The timing here is not ‘suspicious’ but rather ‘conspicuous’.

To maintain the claim the DNC was ‘hacked by Russians‘ Julian Assange must be made public enemy #1. We should expect to see current elements within the intelligence apparatus pushing hard to frame this Assange narrative through the New York Times (FBI), Washington Post (CIA), and CNN (State Dept./ODNI).

The amount of media pressure to originate the “Russian Interference” narrative in early 2017 was off the charts. The media will have to double-down exponentially because they are tied directly to this claim.

It will be interesting to see if AG William Barr goes along with the focus on cybercrimes as the impetus for Mueller’s investigation. This is where the need to preserve the integrity of the institutions comes into play; there will be massive pressure on Barr to go along.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...2016-election/

Comment

Apparently the president of Ecuador also claims that Assange was physically assaulting guards in there.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

As usual, there's more to this than is immediately obvious

----------

........ a fraudulent probe, and so on ...

https://theconservativetreehouse.com...2016-election/
                                Maybe you could sue Trump for driving you insane.

Comment