Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

The Debate Is Up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
    Chrawnus. When I say Job didn't lose his children, I mean that they are still there and he will see them in the resurrection. He did not get twenty kids in the end. He got ten more. Ten + ten.
    I've actually had a problem with the book of Job for some time. It seems to be written more as an instructional parable than a historical event.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      yep. Dan makes the mistake that if something is a metaphor or hyperbole than everything is. No, it's not. And you can tell by the context. How does Dan get through the day if he thinks that if someone uses hyperbole then everything they say is hyperbole? Nick answered him well on this with his comment about being so hungry he could eat a horse. When you bother to study the culture of the ANE, you will learn many of the idioms used during that time and manners of speaking. Dan just tries to interpret everything form a modern perspective and takes everything literally merely to dismiss it.
      You can pretty much tell that he hasn't learned a thing since his preacher days. If the way he interpret the Bible today is the way he interpreted it when he was a preacher I feel (and fear) for the people who had to be subjected to his sermons. I just hope God was (and is) gracious enough not to let his hearers be too affected too adversely by his faulty and nonsensical hermeneutics.

At least in this case Nick was there to at least temper his foolishness to some degree.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Cow View Post
        I've actually had a problem with the book of Job for some time. It seems to be written more as an instructional parable than a historical event.
        As Asimov said - (paraphrasing) it doesn't really matter. There have been enough people in history who have suffered enough to qualify as Jobs.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
          Chrawnus. When....
          You do this just to annoy me, don't you?
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

One Bad Pig. What other reason could there be?

Comment

Chranus. Is it true that you use Selsun Blue shampoo?
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                One Bad Pig. What other reason could there be?
                None so thoroughly rewarding ...

or valid, come to that.
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                Scripture before Tradition:
                but that won't prevent others from
                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Chranus. Is it true that you use Selsun Blue shampoo?
                  rats - CHRAWNUS, not Chranus.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Cow Puke. No, that is factually incorrect. I actually use:

Head & Shoulders™
                    anti-dandruff shampoo

apple fresh
                    for a clean fresh scent

Comment

Cow Punk. You are forgiven for spelling my username incorrectly.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                        Cow Puke. No, that is factually incorrect. I actually use:

Head & Shoulders™
                        anti-dandruff shampoo

apple fresh
                        for a clean fresh scent
                        I too woulda bet you used

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I have concluded that it is not helpful to question God’s existence in front of someone who has a god. The nature of atheism is simply a different understanding of what the god is. It is not necessary to have a personal relationship with the god (in which relationship he is called God) in order to appreciate holiness.
                          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment