Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

College scandal - Loughlin could face up to 40 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Bribing is frowned upon.
    False. Bribery is smiled upon. It's getting caught that's frowned upon.

Reminds me of one of favorite exchanges from Yes, Minister:

"Humphrey, are you telling me that bribery is government policy?"
    "Certainly not, minister! Just government practice."
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
      That is nuts. You barely get that for killing someone. The fine is the way to go on this sort of thing. Expulsion from college for the kid, firing of and hefty fines for all officials involved in the bribe, with total fines to all involved of at least twice the actual bribe to go to a scholarship for kids who otherwise can't afford the school.

Jim
      Every legal expert I've seen on TV discussing this has declared while they potentially face this much time (and some suggest that the prosecutors are overcharging which could wind up with them being acquitted) the chances of them getting anywhere near that much time is closer to none than slim.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Maybe to a private college, but any public college has federal regulations on how students are admitted. Bribing is frowned upon.
        USC is private.

I think all one has to do for the state universities is to claim to be of pirate descent. Your grades and scores won't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Every legal expert I've seen on TV discussing this has declared while they potentially face this much time (and some suggest that the prosecutors are overcharging which could wind up with them being acquitted) the chances of them getting anywhere near that much time is closer to none than slim.
          That's what I said. No jury would send parents to jail for 40 years for bribing a school to take their kids. They might do that to the guys running the scheme. Those guys should get some serious time. But the parents were at the base of it all, trying to take care of their kid's futures. They did it wrongly and they probably took the places of some other deserving kids. But they don't deserve 40 years, or even 10. I would say maybe 1 or 2 and some probation and fines at most.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            False. Bribery is smiled upon. It's getting caught that's frowned upon.

Reminds me of one of favorite exchanges from Yes, Minister:

"Humphrey, are you telling me that bribery is government policy?"
            "Certainly not, minister! Just government practice."
            I worked in Aerospace. I think the company started losing business only when they admitted to charging to a big contract by workers in less busy departments.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
              And Jussie goes scot free.........
              You're not suggesting a racial component here, are you?
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That is nuts. You barely get that for killing someone. The fine is the way to go on this sort of thing. Expulsion from college for the kid, firing of and hefty fines for all officials involved in the bribe, with total fines to all involved of at least twice the actual bribe to go to a scholarship for kids who otherwise can't afford the school.

Jim
                You are WAY too reasonable, sir!
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Scots aren't a "race"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    Anything is possible/probable.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

The emphasis is on the words "up to 40". It's exceedingly unlikely that prison time of that magnitude will actually be the sentence. In the off chance the judge does decide to do it, expect an appeal (and an almost certain win) on the sentence being excessively harsh, resulting in a considerable deduction.

Comment