Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Turning from sin and conversion

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I think we need to know what repentance means.

Does it mean being sorry you have sinned and try hard not to do it again?

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_merrill View Post
    "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near!" was the message of John the Baptist (Mt. 3:1) and of Jesus (Mt. 4:17), and even more to the point, "repent and believe the good news!" was preached by Jesus (Mark 1:15). So yes, conversion does involve repentance as well as faith, though both of these are the gift of God (2 Tim. 2:25, Acts 18:27). So as Tabibito pointed out, salvation is not by faith alone. Rather, salvation is by faith apart from works of the law...

Blessings,
    Lee
    I nearly agree with you, but cannot agree with your assertion that repentance and faith are the gift of God. Your idea of salvation is necessarily restricted to those to whom God deigns to grant it; if solely bestowed by God, faith and repentance are logically merely window dressing. Preaching is utterly pointless if we are powerless to respond to it.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

3. Amen tabibito, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian3 View Post
    I think we need to know what repentance means.

Does it mean being sorry you have sinned and try hard not to do it again?
    Actually, there are two meanings for repent.
    1/ regret
    2/ turn away/from/aside (that is: change course)

In Koine Greek they are two different, though closely related, words. The first is what Judas did after he had betrayed Christ. The second is used in the calls for people to repent.
    1 Cor 15:34 εκνηψατε δικαιως και μη αμαρτανετε αγνωσιαν γαρ θεου τινες εχουσιν προς εντροπην υμιν λεγω

5. Amen One Bad Pig amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I think it entails recognizing you are a sinner and trying to change. Nobody will succeed perfectly until we are glorified. Recognizing that we are sinners and trying to change and doing the best we can is not a condition of salvation, but a sign of it. If we make Jesus our Lord we will want to obey him. We will do as he asks because we love him and he is our Savior.

If someone merely pays lip service to Jesus and continues living in sin and not caring, then he is showing he is not changed. Not reborn, not saved. Jesus is not his Lord.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee_merrill View Post
    "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near!" was the message of John the Baptist (Mt. 3:1) and of Jesus (Mt. 4:17), and even more to the point, "repent and believe the good news!" was preached by Jesus (Mark 1:15). So yes, conversion does involve repentance as well as faith, though both of these are the gift of God (2 Tim. 2:25, Acts 18:27). So as Tabibito pointed out, salvation is not by faith alone. Rather, salvation is by faith apart from works of the law...

Blessings,
    Lee
    What exactly is the good news Jesus preached?

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm dealing with a Muslim who thinks that if one repents there was no need for Jesus to die as Christians claim.

How would you answer this one?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm dealing with a Muslim who thinks that if one repents there was no need for Jesus to die as Christians claim.

How would you answer this one?
    His sacrifice is the means by which we are saved. He took the punishment we were due in order for us to be saved. Just repenting doesn't change that we sinned. Someone being sorry they murdered someone and saying they won't do it again doesn't change the fact that that person is still a murderer, does it?

This is the judge coming down from the bench and taking the sentence we should have gotten in our place.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    His sacrifice is the means by which we are saved. He took the punishment we were due in order for us to be saved. Just repenting doesn't change that we sinned. Someone being sorry they murdered someone and saying they won't do it again doesn't change the fact that that person is still a murderer, does it?

This is the judge coming down from the bench and taking the sentence we should have gotten in our place.
    Where did Jesus say He died for mankind's sins?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Where did Jesus say He died for mankind's sins?
    You ask some pretty strange questions for a Christian. You might want to start with John 3, John 10 and then move onto Romans 3-6 for an outline of the gospel. I am not going to spoon feed you stuff you should already know.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Acts 20:28 - God secured the church with his own blood ... Hebrews 9:12 - The messiah secured our redemption with his own blood ... Hebrews 13:12 Jesus sanctified the people with his own blood
    1 Cor 15:34 εκνηψατε δικαιως και μη αμαρτανετε αγνωσιαν γαρ θεου τινες εχουσιν προς εντροπην υμιν λεγω