Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Arizona licensing reciprocity bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arizona licensing reciprocity bill

Arizona just passed a bill requiring their state licensing boards to accept licenses from other states. I think this is a great bill. The licensing boards are largely a racket in the first place that serve their own interests of limiting competition within their own professions, and they make it much more difficult to move out of state and keep your same job. The example that was brought up when the bill was being debated was that in Arizona, you have to have 1000 hours of training experience just to blow dry somebody's hair. Maybe these requirements can be weakened where appropriate later on, but this bill is good news for people who need to move for family reasons or whatever.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

My gut response, pending thinking it over, can actually be summed up in one of the paragraphs of the linked article...

Critics have argued this move will mean that Arizona has to accept whatever other states believe is acceptable to get licensed there, a move they said will effectively make the standards in Arizona the lowest in the nation.

But, just thinking.... would this be seen as a "union busting" tool by some unions? Wouldn't the whole licensing thing be controlled, in some areas, by the unions?

For the most part, in trying to think of a reason to oppose this, I'm having a hard time coming up with WHY it would be a bad thing.

Interesting.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      For the most part, in trying to think of a reason to oppose this, I'm having a hard time coming up with WHY it would be a bad thing.

Interesting.
      Maybe if some state passed a law that said that you can have a medical license with no experience or something. But I don't think that would actually happen.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        Maybe if some state passed a law that said that you can have a medical license with no experience or something. But I don't think that would actually happen.
        What about something like lawyers? It's probably a good idea to know something about the laws of the state that you would be practicing in.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yeah, and people who are vile enough to seek out the "least restrictive" licensing situation are also vile enough to cheat anyway, so...
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            What about something like lawyers? It's probably a good idea to know something about the laws of the state that you would be practicing in.
            Maybe Arizona simply wants to compete with all the "Nevada Corporation" business that Nevada gets.

Comment

Well, the only opposition I can think of would come from the unions, and since Arizona is a Right to Work State, and only has union membership in the single digits for private employment, and under 25% for public sector, I'm guessing this won't be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Well, the only opposition I can think of would come from the unions, and since Arizona is a Right to Work State, and only has union membership in the single digits for private employment, and under 25% for public sector, I'm guessing this won't be an issue.
                It depends on how powerful their lobbies are. Kansas just made it legal for grocery stores to sell full strength beer two weeks ago. For decades, the liquor store lobby (I doubt there are that many liquor stores in the state) alone kept it from happening because they liked benefiting from protectionism. My cousin used to be a liquor store owner and I remember her posting stuff on Facebook about it. I wasn't going to argue with her, but I didn't think she had a real leg to stand on.

Offhand I can think of other people who might be against it. Anybody in a licensed profession, even if they weren't in a union, might not want increased competition from out of staters.

Comment

It depends on how powerful their lobbies are. Kansas just made it legal for grocery stores to sell full strength beer two weeks ago. For decades, the liquor store lobby (I doubt there are that many liquor stores in the state) alone kept it from happening because they liked benefiting from protectionism. My cousin used to be a liquor store owner and I remember her posting stuff on Facebook about it. I wasn't going to argue with her, but I didn't think she had a real leg to stand on.

Offhand I can think of other people who might be against it. Anybody in a licensed profession, even if they weren't in a union, might not want increased competition from out of staters.
                  That last part is understandable, and makes more sense than the union objection, at least in the case of Arizona's Right to Work status.

(And I think there's a special place in Hell for lobbyists)*

*said somewhat tongue-in-cheek, kinda sorta

Comment

Bar pass reciprocity is already practiced by a lot of states. Many states use the same base uniform bar exam and maybe add a few tweaks based on state law as needed. Other states make you take a new exam but will accept your character and fitness passage from another state. It varies. Texas has no reciprocity, but I think there's a strong presumption that your character and fitness is fine if you already passed somewhere else and it may get moved through more quickly.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                    "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                    Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
                      Bar pass reciprocity is already practiced by a lot of states. Many states use the same base uniform bar exam and maybe add a few tweaks based on state law as needed. Other states make you take a new exam but will accept your character and fitness passage from another state. It varies. Texas has no reciprocity, but I think there's a strong presumption that your character and fitness is fine if you already passed somewhere else and it may get moved through more quickly.
                      I'm guessing application fees aren't going to be as much of a problem for the average lawyer as they would be for the average hairstylist, so in that case it might not hurt as much.

Comment

I'm guessing application fees aren't going to be as much of a problem for the average lawyer as they would be for the average hairstylist, so in that case it might not hurt as much.
                        Even if they are (which they can be if you are in a tiny firm or you're in public interest and bar exam fees are not cheap, especially when you throw in study materials), if you're only going to be practicing in another state for a particular matter, there are ways to get temporary licensing to take care of the single matter.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                        "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                        Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment