Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Arizona licensing reciprocity bill

  1. #1
    Professor KingsGambit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Triangle
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,828
    Amen (Given)
    1594
    Amen (Received)
    4257

    Arizona licensing reciprocity bill

    Arizona just passed a bill requiring their state licensing boards to accept licenses from other states. I think this is a great bill. The licensing boards are largely a racket in the first place that serve their own interests of limiting competition within their own professions, and they make it much more difficult to move out of state and keep your same job. The example that was brought up when the bill was being debated was that in Arizona, you have to have 1000 hours of training experience just to blow dry somebody's hair. Maybe these requirements can be weakened where appropriate later on, but this bill is good news for people who need to move for family reasons or whatever.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

    All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

  2. #2
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    51,891
    Amen (Given)
    11251
    Amen (Received)
    24017
    My gut response, pending thinking it over, can actually be summed up in one of the paragraphs of the linked article...

    Critics have argued this move will mean that Arizona has to accept whatever other states believe is acceptable to get licensed there, a move they said will effectively make the standards in Arizona the lowest in the nation.


    But, just thinking.... would this be seen as a "union busting" tool by some unions? Wouldn't the whole licensing thing be controlled, in some areas, by the unions?

    For the most part, in trying to think of a reason to oppose this, I'm having a hard time coming up with WHY it would be a bad thing.

    Interesting.
    I have called you my friends.... Jesus
    Jn 15:15

  3. #3
    Professor KingsGambit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Triangle
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,828
    Amen (Given)
    1594
    Amen (Received)
    4257
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    For the most part, in trying to think of a reason to oppose this, I'm having a hard time coming up with WHY it would be a bad thing.

    Interesting.
    Maybe if some state passed a law that said that you can have a medical license with no experience or something. But I don't think that would actually happen.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

    All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

  4. #4
    Evolution is God's ID rogue06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Southeastern U.S. of A.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    49,662
    Amen (Given)
    1056
    Amen (Received)
    17898
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Maybe if some state passed a law that said that you can have a medical license with no experience or something. But I don't think that would actually happen.
    What about something like lawyers? It's probably a good idea to know something about the laws of the state that you would be practicing in.

    I'm always still in trouble again

    "You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

  5. #5
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    51,891
    Amen (Given)
    11251
    Amen (Received)
    24017
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Maybe if some state passed a law that said that you can have a medical license with no experience or something. But I don't think that would actually happen.
    Yeah, and people who are vile enough to seek out the "least restrictive" licensing situation are also vile enough to cheat anyway, so...
    I have called you my friends.... Jesus
    Jn 15:15

  6. #6
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    51,891
    Amen (Given)
    11251
    Amen (Received)
    24017
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    What about something like lawyers? It's probably a good idea to know something about the laws of the state that you would be practicing in.
    Maybe Arizona simply wants to compete with all the "Nevada Corporation" business that Nevada gets.
    I have called you my friends.... Jesus
    Jn 15:15

  7. #7
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    51,891
    Amen (Given)
    11251
    Amen (Received)
    24017
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Maybe if some state passed a law that said that you can have a medical license with no experience or something. But I don't think that would actually happen.
    Well, the only opposition I can think of would come from the unions, and since Arizona is a Right to Work State, and only has union membership in the single digits for private employment, and under 25% for public sector, I'm guessing this won't be an issue.
    I have called you my friends.... Jesus
    Jn 15:15

  8. #8
    Professor KingsGambit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Triangle
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,828
    Amen (Given)
    1594
    Amen (Received)
    4257
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Well, the only opposition I can think of would come from the unions, and since Arizona is a Right to Work State, and only has union membership in the single digits for private employment, and under 25% for public sector, I'm guessing this won't be an issue.
    It depends on how powerful their lobbies are. Kansas just made it legal for grocery stores to sell full strength beer two weeks ago. For decades, the liquor store lobby (I doubt there are that many liquor stores in the state) alone kept it from happening because they liked benefiting from protectionism. My cousin used to be a liquor store owner and I remember her posting stuff on Facebook about it. I wasn't going to argue with her, but I didn't think she had a real leg to stand on.

    Offhand I can think of other people who might be against it. Anybody in a licensed profession, even if they weren't in a union, might not want increased competition from out of staters.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

    All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

  9. #9
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    51,891
    Amen (Given)
    11251
    Amen (Received)
    24017
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    It depends on how powerful their lobbies are. Kansas just made it legal for grocery stores to sell full strength beer two weeks ago. For decades, the liquor store lobby (I doubt there are that many liquor stores in the state) alone kept it from happening because they liked benefiting from protectionism. My cousin used to be a liquor store owner and I remember her posting stuff on Facebook about it. I wasn't going to argue with her, but I didn't think she had a real leg to stand on.

    Offhand I can think of other people who might be against it. Anybody in a licensed profession, even if they weren't in a union, might not want increased competition from out of staters.
    That last part is understandable, and makes more sense than the union objection, at least in the case of Arizona's Right to Work status.

    (And I think there's a special place in Hell for lobbyists)*




    *said somewhat tongue-in-cheek, kinda sorta
    I have called you my friends.... Jesus
    Jn 15:15

  10. #10
    tWebber thewriteranon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hahvahd Yahd
    Faith
    Begome Ordodox
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,261
    Amen (Given)
    202
    Amen (Received)
    822
    Bar pass reciprocity is already practiced by a lot of states. Many states use the same base uniform bar exam and maybe add a few tweaks based on state law as needed. Other states make you take a new exam but will accept your character and fitness passage from another state. It varies. Texas has no reciprocity, but I think there's a strong presumption that your character and fitness is fine if you already passed somewhere else and it may get moved through more quickly.

    "Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
    "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
    Katniss Everdeen


    Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •