Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Notre Dame Burns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man with gas cans arrested at St. Patrick's church in NYC

Associated Press

NEW YORK – A New Jersey man was arrested after entering St. Patrick's Cathedral carrying two cans of gasoline, lighter fluid and butane lighters, the New York Police Department said, just days after flames ravaged the Notre Dame cathedral in Paris.

The unidentified 37-year-old man had pulled up Wednesday night in a minivan outside the landmark cathedral on Fifth Avenue in midtown Manhattan, walked around the area, then returned to his vehicle at 7:55 p.m. and retrieved the gasoline and lighter fluid, said NYPD Deputy Commissioner of Intelligence and Counterterrorism John Miller.

"As he enters the cathedral he's confronted by a cathedral security officer who asks him where he's going and informs him he can't proceed into the cathedral carrying these things," said Miller. "At that point some gasoline apparently spills out onto the floor as he's turned around."

Security then notified officers from the counter-terrorism bureau who were standing outside, Miller said. The officers caught up to the man and arrested him after he was questioned.

"His basic story was he was cutting through the cathedral to get to Madison Avenue. That his car had run out of gas," Miller said. "We took a look at the vehicle. It was not out of gas and at that point he was taken into custody."

"It's hard to say exactly what his intentions were, but I think the totality of circumstances of an individual walking into an iconic location like St. Patrick's Cathedral carrying over four gallons of gasoline, two bottles of lighter fluid and lighters is something that we would have great concern over," Miller said. "His story is not consistent."

Comment

Amazing Statues.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnHermes View Post
        Amazing Statues.
        I have a keychain hanging from my car rear view mirror of the one on the left.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Man with gas cans arrested at St. Patrick's church in NYC

Associated Press

NEW YORK – A New Jersey man was arrested after entering St. Patrick's Cathedral carrying two cans of gasoline, lighter fluid and butane lighters, the New York Police Department said, just days after flames ravaged the Notre Dame cathedral in Paris.

The unidentified 37-year-old man had pulled up Wednesday night in a minivan outside the landmark cathedral on Fifth Avenue in midtown Manhattan, walked around the area, then returned to his vehicle at 7:55 p.m. and retrieved the gasoline and lighter fluid, said NYPD Deputy Commissioner of Intelligence and Counterterrorism John Miller.

"As he enters the cathedral he's confronted by a cathedral security officer who asks him where he's going and informs him he can't proceed into the cathedral carrying these things," said Miller. "At that point some gasoline apparently spills out onto the floor as he's turned around."

Security then notified officers from the counter-terrorism bureau who were standing outside, Miller said. The officers caught up to the man and arrested him after he was questioned.

"His basic story was he was cutting through the cathedral to get to Madison Avenue. That his car had run out of gas," Miller said. "We took a look at the vehicle. It was not out of gas and at that point he was taken into custody."

"It's hard to say exactly what his intentions were, but I think the totality of circumstances of an individual walking into an iconic location like St. Patrick's Cathedral carrying over four gallons of gasoline, two bottles of lighter fluid and lighters is something that we would have great concern over," Miller said. "His story is not consistent."
          Ya think?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You'd have to be a paranoid bigot to think there was anything suspicious in that. ... And of course, Trump made him do it anyway.
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

There seems to be a lot of grumbling from the left over offers to help rebuild Notre Dame. They're demanding that causes that they favor ought to get similar funding.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                There seems to be a lot of grumbling from the left over offers to help rebuild Notre Dame. They're demanding that causes that they favor ought to get similar funding.
                While you cannot demand what others fund or not in the aim of supporting a good case I can still see some points in having the discussion. It clearly shows that some people are extremely well of while some are extremely poor. Some are also a bit frustrated that big companies usually doing their very best to pay as little tax as possible how are out openly and in brought daylight to donate when everyone sees the good case. Another fair perspective would be - and I would think every sound Church would agree - how important is a building compared to human beings who could also be saved. There are no easy answers to that. Having a discussion seems fair enough. But perhaps you have read some more extreme responses than I did.
                "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
                  While you cannot demand what others fund or not in the aim of supporting a good case I can still see some points in having the discussion. It clearly shows that some people are extremely well of while some are extremely poor. Some are also a bit frustrated that big companies usually doing their very best to pay as little tax as possible how are out openly and in brought daylight to donate when everyone sees the good case. Another fair perspective would be - and I would think every sound Church would agree - how important is a building compared to human beings who could also be saved. There are no easy answers to that. Having a discussion seems fair enough. But perhaps you have read some more extreme responses than I did.
                  In the case on Don Lemon on CNN he was grumbling that the three black churches in Louisiana that burned recently haven't raised very much for rebuilding. Nothing whatsoever about the needs of people over buildings.

George Johnson did the same thing over on NBC.

Both did their best to interject racism into the motives of the donors
                  Last edited by rogue06; 04-19-2019, 07:06 AM.

Comment

In the case on Don Lemon on CNN he was grumbling that the three black churches in Louisiana that burned recently haven't raised very much for rebuilding. Nothing whatsoever about the needs of people over buildings.

George Johnson did the same thing over on NBC.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36479[/ATTACH]

Both did their best to interject racism into the motives of the donors
                    White empires?? What an asshat!
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Wow...here's a report that the bees of Notre Dame survived. Pending closer inspection...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...RDRltsvyzz1OE4

Thinking of Grandpa Jed....
                      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Another French church catches fire on Easter Sunday, but I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

https://www.breitbart.com/faith/2019...robable-arson/
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Many of the relics and pieces of art were taken away from the building by a human chain that kept passing them along (kinda like an old fashioned bucket brigade).

One report I heard says the massive stained glass windows appears to have survived intact which would be a miracle.

OK, not necessarily a "miracle" miracle but would still be extraordinary.
                          The Rose window. I cried when I found out it was still intact.
                          I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

Ubisoft went and donated $500,000 to Notre Dame, and made Assassin's Creed Unity free until April 25th because of this. They wanted people to be able to see the virtual version of Notre Dame it since the real version was so badly damaged.

Comment

Let's turn the Notre Dame fire into a marketing opportunity!

Too bad you have to use their terrible Uplay software to download the free game...
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                Let's turn the Notre Dame fire into a marketing opportunity!

They also donated half a million dollars to help rebuild. If they just wanted a marketing opportunity they could have just put up the game itself for free and gotten the same thing.

Too bad you have to use their terrible Uplay software to download the free game...
                                I already have it for their other games. It's not Steam, but it certainly doesn't seem terrible. Maybe that's just me though.

Comment