Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Notre Dame Burns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notre Dame Burns

Fire engulfs the historic Notre Dame cathedral in Paris

A fire has broken out at the world-famous Notre Dame cathedral in Paris.

Pictures posted on social media showed enormous plumes of smoke billowing into the city's skyline as firefighters rushed to the historic site.

According to French newspaper Le Monde, the fire broke out in the attic of the historic monument before spreading to engulf a large section of the roof.

A spokesperson for the cathedral said the blaze was first reported at 5.50pm (GMT) and the building was evacuated soon after.

Officials in Paris said the fire could be linked to renovation works being carried out at the cathedral.

The cathedral is one the finest example of French Gothic architecture in Europe, and one of the most visited buildings in the world.

Notre Dame - which means 'Our Lady' - was build in 1160 and completed by 1260, and has been modified on a number of occasions throughout the century.

It is the cathedral of the Archdiocese of Paris, and is visited by some 12million people every year.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Where's "Paris isn't burning" Starlight?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Fire engulfs the historic Notre Dame cathedral in Paris

A fire has broken out at the world-famous Notre Dame cathedral in Paris.

Pictures posted on social media showed enormous plumes of smoke billowing into the city's skyline as firefighters rushed to the historic site.

According to French newspaper Le Monde, the fire broke out in the attic of the historic monument before spreading to engulf a large section of the roof.

A spokesperson for the cathedral said the blaze was first reported at 5.50pm (GMT) and the building was evacuated soon after.

Officials in Paris said the fire could be linked to renovation works being carried out at the cathedral.

The cathedral is one the finest example of French Gothic architecture in Europe, and one of the most visited buildings in the world.

Notre Dame - which means 'Our Lady' - was build in 1160 and completed by 1260, and has been modified on a number of occasions throughout the century.

It is the cathedral of the Archdiocese of Paris, and is visited by some 12million people every year.
      If Quasimodo was told once he was told a hundred times that he needed to quit smoking.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I've had a pretty bad weekend but this really takes the cake.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
        "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
        Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

The spire has fallen and the entire wooden frame of the building is on fire.

So sad to see a building that has stood for nearly 1000 years begin to fall.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

That was one of my most favorite places I visited last year. This is devastating!
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I wonder if it was deliberately set? Paris seems to be central to a lot of attacks over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                I wonder if it was deliberately set? Paris seems to be central to a lot of attacks over the years.
                I thought of that, as well. I posted an article about it in my thread about the persecution of Christians. And I wouldn't be surprised, if it were proven to be arson, if the perpetrators were not named in order to hide their nationality, as it seems the media has been doing over there.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  Only employees and workers can get into the attic area. They were doing construction when I was there last year, and apparently still were up to today.
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                  - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Notre Dame Cathedral Gone...

Spire of Paris's 850-year-old Notre Dame cathedral COLLAPSES as fire ravages historic building with flames erupting through the roof - with Macron lamenting seeing 'part of us burn'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ral-Paris.html
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

When we were in England in 1984, it was just after York Cathedral had had a fire, part of Queen E's "annus horribilus", and we toured the cathedral. It was not nearly as badly damaged as Notre Dame is turning out to be, but the damage was heavy. I believe that was also caused by renovations.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                        When we were in England in 1984, it was just after York Cathedral had had a fire, part of Queen E's "annus horribilus", and we toured the cathedral. It was not nearly as badly damaged as Notre Dame is turning out to be, but the damage was heavy. I believe that was also caused by renovations.
                        Official cause of that fire was a lightning strike.
                        Last edited by DesertBerean; 04-15-2019, 02:11 PM.
                        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                          Official cause of that fire was a lightning strike.
                          Yes, you're right. It was so long ago I forgot.

Comment

Some curious features surrounding this story: seems that French authorities were somehow able to determine that it was an accident while the structure was still fully involved; they said it started in the attic where renovations were being done; but there were apparently no construction workers on site when the fire started.

Also, Marcon is saying he wants to rebuild the cathedral to reflect France's "diversity", whatever that means.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

In other news, Christian churches all across Europe are being vandalized.

https://gellerreport.com/2019/04/hij...churches.html/

But I'm sure there's no connection.
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment