Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Notre Dame Burns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    some of the stuff might be built-in, or too heavy to move easily, like statues and altars.
    Hopefully, those would be stone and would be safe, but... yeah.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      some of the stuff might be built-in, or too heavy to move easily, like statues and altars.
      Like the silver coin collection of all of the Popes throughout history, or the large tapestries in the room directly under the spires. I can't believe I was standing in that very spot less than a year ago
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I head this morning that some of the artwork was saved, and the 8000-pipe organ, although damaged, is salvageable.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
          I head this morning that some of the artwork was saved, and the 8000-pipe organ, although damaged, is salvageable.
          Good to hear. The pipe organ at the church I attend is no more, result of arson. (though it happened 15 years before I started going to that church, I still find it disappointing.)
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
          Scripture before Tradition:
          but that won't prevent others from
          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
            Good to hear. The pipe organ at the church I attend is no more, result of arson. (though it happened 15 years before I started going to that church, I still find it disappointing.)
            I can't begin to imagine the cost of an organ like that, so to replace it in a church without the funds the RCC can put their hands on might be prohibitive. Even a smaller pipe organ is expensive.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Just saw the pics the media is releasing from the inside. If the main sanctuary was the only affected area, then most of the art and tapestries were not in the affected area. There was SOME in there, like the painting of Joan of Arc and a relic purported to belong to her that were just to the right of the area where the rubble was pictured, and some marble statuary and displays of the primary architect of the second expansion. But the real priceless stuff was back off to the right in the expansion areas.
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I read there are a bunch of scammers starting up already with fake facebook pages and emails and phony charities.

Comment

I can't begin to imagine the cost of an organ like that, so to replace it in a church without the funds the RCC can put their hands on might be prohibitive. Even a smaller pipe organ is expensive.
                  My first thought was -- all the RCC has to do is sell a couple of their properties around the world, and they'll have tons of cash - why do they need international help? But, whatever! It's a tremendous opportunity for them to raise money.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    Just saw the pics the media is releasing from the inside. If the main sanctuary was the only affected area, then most of the art and tapestries were not in the affected area. There was SOME in there, like the painting of Joan of Arc and a relic purported to belong to her that were just to the right of the area where the rubble was pictured, and some marble statuary and displays of the primary architect of the second expansion. But the real priceless stuff was back off to the right in the expansion areas.
                    Many of the relics and pieces of art were taken away from the building by a human chain that kept passing them along (kinda like an old fashioned bucket brigade).

One report I heard says the massive stained glass windows appears to have survived intact which would be a miracle.

OK, not necessarily a "miracle" miracle but would still be extraordinary.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Many of the relics and pieces of art were taken away from the building by a human chain that kept passing them along (kinda like an old fashioned bucket brigade).

One report I heard says the massive stained glass windows appears to have survived intact which would be a miracle.

OK, not necessarily a "miracle" miracle but would still be extraordinary.
                      A miraculous event, to an extent, if not a miracle.

Comment

It seems that some elements of ISIS are implying that they're responsible for the fire and are promising that more attacks are coming.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...otre-Dame.html
                        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          It seems that some elements of ISIS are implying that they're responsible for the fire and are promising that more attacks are coming.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...otre-Dame.html
                          At this point, and without further information, I'd guess ISIS is just desperately trying to appear relevant again.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            My first thought was -- all the RCC has to do is sell a couple of their properties around the world, and they'll have tons of cash - why do they need international help? But, whatever! It's a tremendous opportunity for them to raise money.
                            The Catholic Church does not own any church property in France built before 1905. France does.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                            "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                            Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Notre Dame has those flying buttresses right? *goes off to check*
                              Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                                Notre Dame has those flying buttresses right? *goes off to check*

Yep it does. I bet they were key to keeping the structure intact.
                                Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment