Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Steven Mnuchin: The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act is working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steven Mnuchin: The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act is working

Steven Mnuchin: The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act is working

You'd never know this to listen to the MSM.

(CNN)Americans just finished filing their taxes for 2018. And this is the first year that the benefits of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) have been improving the lives of our citizens. In fact, we are pleased to report that we have experienced a year of more jobs, bigger paychecks, increased business investment and lower tax liability.

Lower tax rates, higher standard deductions and larger child tax credits have benefited most Americans. According to Treasury's analysis, in 2017, a typical American household earning $75,000 in pre-tax wages was paying $3,983 in federal income taxes. Each month, $347 was withheld from their paychecks, and they received a $178 refund when they filed their 2017 taxes. In 2018, that typical family earning $75,000 saw their total taxes fall to just $1,739, a tax reduction of $2,244 per family. The tax cut was mostly realized through the nearly $200 per month added to their paychecks. They are also receiving a $41 refund, which means that instead of overpaying the government, they were able to keep more of their hard-earned money every month.

According to recent data released by H&R Block, their clients saw their taxes decline by 24.9% on average. As the company explained, average tax refunds are up just 1.4% for their customers because 96% of the reduction "went into paychecks during the year." They also found that for their customers, "all 50 states and D.C. saw their average tax liability decrease anywhere from 18.0 percent to 29.1 percent."

Additionally, per the non-partisan Tax Policy Center, about 80% of American taxpayers were estimated to see their federal taxes decline as a result of the tax reforms that we have implemented. This means that more than 140 million American families are likely experiencing federal tax savings because of the TCJA.

Americans also saw large wage gains in 2018 as a result of the stimulus to economic activity generated by the TCJA, combined with the Trump administration's deregulatory activities of the past two years.
    Over the eight years prior to President Donald Trump taking office, American wage gains were minimal, rising 2.1% on average and less than 0.4% per year, after accounting for inflation. Those days of stagnation are over. Americans are once again starting to see meaningful real wage increases, particularly among low-wage workers....
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

CNN is not "the MSM"?
    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Even the New York Times grumblingly had to admit that most Americans got a tax cut after for nearly two years (and especially around the mid term elections) the MSM repeatedly lied about it to the public. Their headline: "Face It: You (Probably) Got a Tax Cut."

"Face It." You know, the way you typically deliver bad news and admonish the person to "deal with it."

And to see just how hysterical they were in their fake news lying you have to read this: 9 Apocalyptic Lies Fed To Americans About The Republican Tax Bill

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        CNN is not "the MSM"?
        You'd never know this if you had been listening to the MSM prior to this. Better?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          You'd never know this if you had been listening to the MSM prior to this. Better?
          Much.
          Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

yep, they all focused on smaller returns and not the overall taxes paid. I kept telling Carp the same thing. My actual taxes went down and I am getting more money per paycheck. My return went down but that is just taxes OVERPAID. If people want bigger returns they can just give the government more throughout the year. But the IRS makes for a lousy savings plan.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              yep, they all focused on smaller returns and not the overall taxes paid. I kept telling Carp the same thing. My actual taxes went down and I am getting more money per paycheck. My return went down but that is just taxes OVERPAID. If people want bigger returns they can just give the government more throughout the year. But the IRS makes for a lousy savings plan.
              The IRS LOVES for people to trust them to keep peoples' money interest-free for a whole year. The bigger your "tax refund", the more money you entrusted to the government for FREE. In an inflationary environment, you're actually LOSING money that way.

Comment

The IRS LOVES for people to trust them to keep peoples' money interest-free for a whole year. The bigger your "tax refund", the more money you entrusted to the government for FREE. In an inflationary environment, you're actually LOSING money that way.
                And now there is some nonsense going around where people are complaining that the IRS isn't providing them with tax preparation services or software. They want the IRS to do their taxes for them. How stupid is that?

and I saw this meme going around on facebook...

Comment

And now there is some nonsense going around where people are complaining that the IRS isn't providing them with tax preparation services or software. They want the IRS to do their taxes for them. How stupid is that?

and I saw this meme going around on facebook...

Yeah, and then there's the whole thing where, in the old days when we were mailed a tax preparation booklet, the words "voluntary tax compliance" system were prominent. Hence, people just declared "I'm not volunteering".

Comment

Yeah, and then there's the whole thing where, in the old days when we were mailed a tax preparation booklet, the words "voluntary tax compliance" system were prominent. Hence, people just declared "I'm not volunteering".
                    I get a kick watching those "sovereign citizens" on LivePD

Comment

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment