Announcement

Collapse

Pro-Life Activism 301 Guidelines

This area is for pro-life activists to discuss issues related to abortion. It is NOT a debate area, and it is not OK for pro-choice activists to post here.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Pro Abortion Christians????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro Abortion Christians????

A quick Google search will reveal that there are some people who think abortion is compatible with Christianity. I don't want to read the articles, because I don't want to end up tossing my laptop out the window. Do they just practice really bad eisigesis? I guess they misinterpret that passage where a pregnant woman accidentally gets punched in a fight between two guys and ends up giving birth or losing her baby. An accidental death(worst case scenario interpretation) is not the same as deliberate murder! Other than that, I have no clue. I'll just imagine Jesus scolding them on Judgement day!

First link on page : https://rewire.news/article/2018/08/...rch-taught-me/
    Last edited by Christianbookworm; 04-16-2019, 06:06 PM.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

This is done to reinforce beliefs and ideologies promoted by the conservative Christian community, such as purity culture and guilt surrounding women having sex before marriage. Even though at a glance it would look like the “pro-life”movement is only about reproductive rights, once you look at the big picture you can see that it is about much more. It’s about creating an environment where women are only fully accepted if they bear children and fit into this image of a “pure wholesome woman.” While the reinforcement of this is not always intentional, there are still many harmful effects, such as anti-choice bills. These bills have negative effects on women by limiting their reproductive options, which is harmful toward reproductive health as a whole.

This is what happens when people have been indoctrinated instead of being educated. The wider world happens and they can't cope.

purity culture and WOMEN having sex before marriage?
    Since when did the rules apply only to women?
    Reproductive rights? What ... she hasn't heard of contraceptives?
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Yeah, men and women are supposed to have sex within marriage. No dumb double standard where men get to play James Bond's sex life and women aren't. And I don't think she understands the concept that Christians are to be better than the World and not conform the culture. Because no human culture is perfect like the culture of Heaven. Which we haven't achieved yet either, but still!

Comment

IIRC Norman Geisler used to argue for something short of a pro-life position (I'm not sure if it was fully pro-choice offhand) based on interpreting Exodus 21:22-23 to refer to a miscarriage. However, he now uses the same verses to argue for the pro-life position, arguing that it refers to a premature but live birth instead.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I think there are a lot of people who have, in spite of being genuinely saved, wrong ideas about cultural or political things. I have to, from time to time, ask myself "why do I believe that - is it because the Bible says so, or it's what I grew up believing".
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I think there are a lot of people who have, in spite of being genuinely saved, wrong ideas about cultural or political things. I have to, from time to time, ask myself "why do I believe that - is it because the Bible says so, or it's what I grew up believing".
            I agree. My mom is pro-choice but I'm not going to come out and say she's not a real Christian.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

It's not a salvific issue of course. I wonder if they know what actually happens in an abortion? Maybe they think the fetus/embryo is painlessly euthanized first? That doesn't make it any better from our point of view, but might be more palatable if one thinks that the fetus is morally equivalent to a cat or dog.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                I agree. My mom is pro-choice but I'm not going to come out and say she's not a real Christian.
                Sometimes it takes a while for people to work through issues they bring into Christianity. (Or, when they bring Christianity into their issues)
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well, didn't it take Abby Johnson 8 years and seing an abortion on ultrasound to figure out that abortion was wrong?

Comment

It's the old thing where people want to make Christianity fit their beliefs instead of the other way around. They shop around till they find a church that agrees with them. This has been going on since the beginning.

2 Timothy 4:3
                    For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                      It's the old thing where people want to make Christianity fit their beliefs instead of the other way around. They shop around till they find a church that agrees with them. This has been going on since the beginning.

2 Timothy 4:3
                      For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.
                      They think they know better than God???? Or they don't think and just go by feeling. Because there wasn't any actual argument on that page! I don't even know what their logic even is!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                        They think they know better than God???? Or they don't think and just go by feeling. Because there wasn't any actual argument on that page! I don't even know what their logic even is!
                        "The bible doesn't say anything SPECIFICALLY about abortion, and I'm too lazy/blind/unwilling to reason it out using the moral principles the bible DOES give us"

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                          "The bible doesn't say anything SPECIFICALLY about abortion, and I'm too lazy/blind/unwilling to reason it out using the moral principles the bible DOES give us"

That makes sense. Well, there's plenty the Bible doesn't mention, so it's still a bad argument.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post

It's simple enough. A foetus is human (the genes say as much). Therefore, a human is being killed.
                            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                            Scripture before Tradition:
                            but that won't prevent others from
                            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

I find some people who I talk to who claim to be Christian and hold a Pro Choice position argue from the position of silence. They assume if Scripture does not outright condemn something that means the Bible has nothing to say about it. To me this is faulty reasoning because we can look at places in Scripture where it speaks about the prohibition for murder, and that fact we are created in God's image and from those examples deduce that Scripture stands against it. And of course seeing as I hold to the Presuppositional method of Apologetics I always like to ask the question by What Standard?, this helps me to see where they position is being drawn and the Worldview they express.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X