Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dallas District Attorney Gives Green Light To Theft

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Dallas District Attorney Gives Green Light To Theft

More liberal lawlessness. The criminals are going to love this...

DALLAS (WBAP/KLIF) Dallas County District Attorney Clarifies New Theft Policy

Dallas County District Attorney John Creuzot is clarifying his new policy not to prosecute theft of what he called “necessary items” under $750.
    Creuzot told WBAP’s ‘Rick Roberts Show’ Tuesday that the policy only applies to people stealing to survive, not someone who plans to re-sell stolen items

If the individual is committing the crime because they are poor or they are hungry then we are going to exercise our prosecutorial discretion not to prosecute that case,” Creuzot said.

Creuzot said in hindsight the policy should have referred to thefts of “personal consumption” opposed to “necessity.”

http://www.wbap.com/2019/04/16/dalla...-theft-policy/
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Dang it. Cow Poke needs to make Texas get their act together.

While this is probably a good practice in principal (who wants to prosecute someone stealing bread to eat? Shades of Les Miserables) - it is not a smart idea to make it public policy and announce it to the world so that it actually encourages people to steal.

Not to mention who NEEDS $750 of food?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Dang it. Cow Poke needs to make Texas get their act together.

While this is probably a good practice in principal (who wants to prosecute someone stealing bread to eat? Shades of Les Miserables) - it is not a smart idea to make it public policy and announce it to the world so that it actually encourages people to steal.

Not to mention who NEEDS $750 of food?
    And people wonder why we don't want leftists in charge...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Professor and Chaplain Littlejoe's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    This is one of MANY reasons I don't live in Dallas. (Or Austin, or Houston...) Dadgum liberals trying to change the landscape of Texas IMO...
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

5. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    But officer, I NEED this playstation, and this caviar, and this bottle of wine, and this flatscreen. It only comes to $749 so I am good right?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    And people wonder why we don't want leftists in charge...
    I don't!
    --- this space intentionally left blank ---

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    But officer, I NEED this playstation, and this caviar, and this bottle of wine, and this flatscreen. It only comes to $749 so I am good right?
    Grocery stores must love this law...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Why put it out as official policy? Why not just do it on a case by case basis? I know my brother the cop used to do things like if he found someone had stolen some food he would just pay for it himself, then take the guy out to get a meal and some help.

Just give the cops a discretionary fund to do similar things. Help people when they can instead of arresting them. The cops on the scene know better than anyone what was really going on and why someone stole something.

10. Amen Cerebrum123, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    There's no possible way this could backfire. None at all. It's unlikely that it will result in a rash of homeless and "poor" people blatantly ripping off stores knowing they won't be prosecuted. Only good things could come from this policy.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    There's no possible way this could backfire. None at all. It's unlikely that it will result in a rash of homeless and "poor" people blatantly ripping off stores knowing they won't be prosecuted. Only good things could come from this policy.
    And imagine the poor beat cop --- why even try to arrest the guy if the DA is just going to give him a pass. So, unless it's obvious that the theft is above $700 in value....
    --- this space intentionally left blank ---