Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Dallas District Attorney Gives Green Light To Theft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dallas District Attorney Gives Green Light To Theft

More liberal lawlessness. The criminals are going to love this...

DALLAS (WBAP/KLIF) Dallas County District Attorney Clarifies New Theft Policy

Dallas County District Attorney John Creuzot is clarifying his new policy not to prosecute theft of what he called “necessary items” under $750.
    Creuzot told WBAP’s ‘Rick Roberts Show’ Tuesday that the policy only applies to people stealing to survive, not someone who plans to re-sell stolen items

If the individual is committing the crime because they are poor or they are hungry then we are going to exercise our prosecutorial discretion not to prosecute that case,” Creuzot said.

Creuzot said in hindsight the policy should have referred to thefts of “personal consumption” opposed to “necessity.”

http://www.wbap.com/2019/04/16/dalla...-theft-policy/
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Dang it. Cow Poke needs to make Texas get their act together.

While this is probably a good practice in principal (who wants to prosecute someone stealing bread to eat? Shades of Les Miserables) - it is not a smart idea to make it public policy and announce it to the world so that it actually encourages people to steal.

Not to mention who NEEDS $750 of food?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Dang it. Cow Poke needs to make Texas get their act together.

While this is probably a good practice in principal (who wants to prosecute someone stealing bread to eat? Shades of Les Miserables) - it is not a smart idea to make it public policy and announce it to the world so that it actually encourages people to steal.

Not to mention who NEEDS $750 of food?
      And people wonder why we don't want leftists in charge...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

This is one of MANY reasons I don't live in Dallas. (Or Austin, or Houston...) Dadgum liberals trying to change the landscape of Texas IMO...
        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

But officer, I NEED this playstation, and this caviar, and this bottle of wine, and this flatscreen. It only comes to $749 so I am good right?

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            And people wonder why we don't want leftists in charge...
            I don't!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              But officer, I NEED this playstation, and this caviar, and this bottle of wine, and this flatscreen. It only comes to $749 so I am good right?
              Grocery stores must love this law...

Comment

Why put it out as official policy? Why not just do it on a case by case basis? I know my brother the cop used to do things like if he found someone had stolen some food he would just pay for it himself, then take the guy out to get a meal and some help.

Just give the cops a discretionary fund to do similar things. Help people when they can instead of arresting them. The cops on the scene know better than anyone what was really going on and why someone stole something.

Comment

There's no possible way this could backfire. None at all. It's unlikely that it will result in a rash of homeless and "poor" people blatantly ripping off stores knowing they won't be prosecuted. Only good things could come from this policy.
                  Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                  But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                  Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    There's no possible way this could backfire. None at all. It's unlikely that it will result in a rash of homeless and "poor" people blatantly ripping off stores knowing they won't be prosecuted. Only good things could come from this policy.
                    And imagine the poor beat cop --- why even try to arrest the guy if the DA is just going to give him a pass. So, unless it's obvious that the theft is above $700 in value....
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      And imagine the poor beat cop --- why even try to arrest the guy if the DA is just going to give him a pass. So, unless it's obvious that the theft is above $700 in value....
                      And how are they supposed to know if someone is really poor or homeless?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        And how are they supposed to know if someone is really poor or homeless?
                        If they say that they self-identify with being poor or homeless.

Isn't that how we do things these days?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It's pretty easy to get away with shoplifting big box stores because many disgruntled loss management people have shared information online. I won't go into further details. (No, I've never shoplifted.)
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                            More liberal lawlessness. The criminals are going to love this...
                            Good decision from the DA; obviously a very Christian gentleman.
                            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
                              Good decision from the DA; obviously a very Christian gentleman.
                              Or not...

Proverbs 6:

"People do not despise a thief if he steals to satisfy his hunger when he is starving.

"Yet if he is caught, he must pay sevenfold, though it costs him all the wealth of his house."

Comment