Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Mueller Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
    To be honest I don't know why you're still hanging around if everyone really is that horrible to you. You have changed. The Ox I knew was a reasonable man who valued friendships and good dialogue even if he disagreed with people. He took criticism and feedback with grace and strove to be better. This Ox, however, seems to have disappeared has been replaced with a bitter man who lashes out at anyone who expresses concern about his posts, who sees enemies at every turn when there are none. Your biggest enemy is yourself, Ox. So many of our friends have been struggling to understand what has happened to create this Hyde to your formal Jekyll. Many have reached out only be verbally backhanded by you. So how can you claim to be constantly attacked when you post vitriol like this. You disappoint me, sir. You need help so you can find peace and light. I pray for you.
    look harder.

Jim
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Raphael View Post
      Jim (Ox, not JimL) I have no real dog in this fight as quite literally Trump is #NotMyPresident (because #NotAnAmericanAndNeverWillBe).

I don't see the man as being a paragon of virtue. I've also often stated that my support for him is more an indictment on the alternatives from the Democrats than actual support for Trump. I also see him as something of a loud mouth braggart (but then that is part of his brand).
      At the same time I see him as doing his darndest to keep his campaign promises (even the ones I disagree with).
      I admire him for being a teetotaller. And for switching to being pro-life when he realised the horrors of abortion.

I also recognise that the man has been under relentless attack from the Media and the Democrats since before he began a serious tilt at the White House (I think it was the White House Press dinner where Obama mocked and belittled him that made him go for it)

I think Trump deserves to be criticised where he is wrong, but at the same time the good things he does deserve praise. And it is fallacious to claim that he has done no good. And it is also not right to blame him for things that in some cases happened under his predecessors.

I also don't think his detractors can have it both ways. He is either a bumbling incompetent I've heard him described as or a mastermind who colluded with the Russians. He can't be both as they are mutually exclusive.
      He is under relentless attack. I'll give you that. Given me filling a similar position on this web site (being under relentless attack no matter what I do or say), I can even empathize a bit more with how hard that must be for him as a man!

Nevertheless, so much of how he approaches the world and his role as president is just out of character with who the US is. He has undermined our relationships with our allies, tried to cozy up to our enemies and in the process given them even more space to grow their power in the world. Domestically he attacks regular citizens without mercy through the hoards that follow him, he is constantly taking extreme positions on issues that ultimately are destructive. For example, I'm all for tightening up on the borders. But not at the cost he seems willing to pay in terms of human suffering. What he did to Puerto Rico? The whole bit of being unwilling to acknowledge or do anything about the Russian interference in our elections because he fears it will make him look bad because he was the one they wanted to see elected? These overshadow anything he may have done that could be called good, at least as I see it.

Jim
      My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        I appreciate you saying this just a few posts after you've openly accused most of the regulars here of being hateful and disdainful.
        The truth hurts I guess. You of course are the worst. Sometimes I take out my annoyance with you on them because they'll sidle up to you rather than see through your manipulations. I never have understood how bullying personalities like yours or Trumps manage to get normally good people on their side. But it happens more often than not.

Jim

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
          The truth hurts I guess. You of course are the worst. Sometimes I take out my annoyance with you on them because they'll sidle up to you rather than see through your manipulations. I never have understood how bullying personalities like yours or Trumps manage to get normally good people on their side. But it happens more often than not.

Jim
          And now we get to see Jim argue against himself...

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
          Always attacking the man.

Jim
          Hey, the truth hurts, I guess.

But to add a little more here, I'm probably the least manipulative person you could ever meet. With me, what you see/hear/read is exactly what you get. I have a very blunt and direct communication style, and I expect the same from others, so I'm generally bad at taking "hints" and other indirect forms of communication (just ask my wife). I'm also sarcastic and have a very dry and irreverent sense of humor, which just adds to my charm. My wife would say that while I'm physically imposing, I have a gentle spirit.

I say this not as a defense but, perhaps, to help you understand better what makes me tick and to see my posts in the spirit that they're intended (and, yes, sometimes the intent is to offend and shake people awake; you might call it offending with truth).
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

And now we get to see Jim argue against himself...

Hey, the truth hurts, I guess.

But to add a little more here, I'm probably the least manipulative person you could ever meet. With me, what you see/hear/read is exactly what you get. I have a very blunt and direct communication style, and I expect the same from others, so I'm generally bad at taking "hints" and other indirect forms of communication (just ask my wife). I'm also sarcastic and have a very dry and irreverent sense of humor, which just adds to my charm. My wife would say that while I'm physically imposing, I have a gentle spirit.

I say this not as a defense but, perhaps, to help you understand better what makes me tick and to see my posts in the spirit that they're intended (and, yes, sometimes the intent is to offend and shake people awake; you might call it offending with truth).
            Clearly you have no intent to ever converse in any positive manner with me. This is pointless.

you are on ignore - permanently.

Jim
            Last edited by oxmixmudd; 06-04-2019, 07:43 PM.

Comment

look harder.

Jim
              I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

Clearly you have no intent to ever converse in any positive manner with me. This is pointless.

you are on ignore - permanently.

Jim
                I extend an olive branch, and he spits in my face. Nice.

Comment

But to add a little more here, I'm probably the least manipulative person you could ever meet. With me, what you see/hear/read is exactly what you get. I have a very blunt and direct communication style, and I expect the same from others, so I'm generally bad at taking "hints" and other indirect forms of communication (just ask my wife). I'm also sarcastic and have a very dry and irreverent sense of humor, which just adds to my charm.
                  You could be describing me here.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    You could be describing me here.
                    Same though I can catch hints for the most part. When I was a child I asked my parents what tact was (I was reading high school level books when I was a second grader) as it was in a book I was reading. My parents told me that tact was the ability to tell someone to go to Hell in such a way that they not only look forward to the trip but also thank you for sending them there in the first place. 23 years later and I still suck at being tactful.
                    I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

Jim (Ox, not JimL) I have no real dog in this fight as quite literally Trump is #NotMyPresident (because #NotAnAmericanAndNeverWillBe).

I don't see the man as being a paragon of virtue. I've also often stated that my support for him is more an indictment on the alternatives from the Democrats than actual support for Trump. I also see him as something of a loud mouth braggart (but then that is part of his brand).
                      At the same time I see him as doing his darndest to keep his campaign promises (even the ones I disagree with).
                      I admire him for being a teetotaller. And for switching to being pro-life when he realised the horrors of abortion.

I also recognise that the man has been under relentless attack from the Media and the Democrats since before he began a serious tilt at the White House (I think it was the White House Press dinner where Obama mocked and belittled him that made him go for it)

I think Trump deserves to be criticised where he is wrong, but at the same time the good things he does deserve praise. And it is fallacious to claim that he has done no good. And it is also not right to blame him for things that in some cases happened under his predecessors.

I also don't think his detractors can have it both ways. He is either a bumbling incompetent I've heard him described as or a mastermind who colluded with the Russians. He can't be both as they are mutually exclusive.
                      The left has painted every Republican president or candidate as a bumbling incompetent, evil mastermind, or both ever since Eisenhower.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

This website, this forum, represents the bottom of the barrel when it comes to Christians beating up on one another. It's like you took Galations 5 and decided to turn it on its head, day in and day out. And it doesn't matter if the target of your putrid bile is Christian or non-Christian. Everyone gets the same treatment if they dare to think differently from you. As far as I am concerned, the only person you treat worse is JimL, and I have no clue why he bothers to interact with you at all.
                        It has definitely changed since I joined 16 years ago - there is more partisanship, more mob mentality, more thoughtlessness, more personal attacks, more hypocrisy, less intelligent analysis and less willingness to correct the errors of those in the same camp. Most of the more intelligent, knowledgeable and considerate posters have left, leaving the belligerent and arrogant ignoramuses behind, and the discussions are nowhere near as interesting or thought-provoking as they once were.
                        Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                        MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          The left has painted every Republican president or candidate as a bumbling incompetent, evil mastermind, or both ever since Eisenhower.
                          I don't recall GHWB getting that treatment. Maybe that's why he picked Dan Quayle as VP?
                          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
                            It has definitely changed since I joined 16 years ago - there is more partisanship, more mob mentality, more thoughtlessness, more personal attacks, more hypocrisy, less intelligent analysis and less willingness to correct the errors of those in the same camp. Most of the more intelligent, knowledgeable and considerate posters have left, leaving the belligerent and arrogant ignoramuses behind, and the discussions are nowhere near as interesting or thought-provoking as they once were.
                            So long as you realise you just painted yourself with the same brush, we're all good.
                            Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                            1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                            -Ben Witherington III

Comment

So long as you realise you just painted yourself with the same brush, we're all good.
                              I've never had any reluctance to criticise my fellow campers, and I don't post here nearly as much as I used to.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ignorant Roy View Post
                                Ah, don't be so hard on yourself.

Comment