Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Sri Lanka terror attack; over 200 dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    Evil people are just evil? But why would I not want to actually hurt people who I disagree with? I wouldn't act like that! Mainly because Jesus doesn't want me to do that, but I also don't want to!
    These people are engaged in holy war. Their enemies provide the reasons to fight. Their grievances go back a long way. We either have to fight the war even harder than they do, even to the point of killing their memory of past injustices, or give them justice. For that, we need to have a sense of our own sin towards them.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

It seems that prominent Democrats, including former president Barack Obama and two-time failed presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, can't bring themselves to admit that this attack was against Christians, referring to them more ambiguously as "Easter worshippers".

https://www.breitbart.com/national-s...ot-christians/

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by dirtfloor View Post
        These people are engaged in holy war. Their enemies provide the reasons to fight. Their grievances go back a long way. We either have to fight the war even harder than they do, even to the point of killing their memory of past injustices, or give them justice. For that, we need to have a sense of our own sin towards them.
        What a sick and depraved rationalization for the murder of nearly 300 people.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Right, some people did something...
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

It seems that prominent Democrats, including former president Barack Obama and two-time failed presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, can't bring themselves to admit that this attack was against Christians, referring to them more ambiguously as "Easter worshippers".

If only there was some word by which we could easily identify these "Easter worshippers."
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
              If only there was some word by which we could easily identify these "Easter worshippers."
              Well, there are, of course, CEO Christians! (Christmas and Easter Only)

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It’s complicated; for example,

Scott Atran has found the greatest predictors of suicide bombings to be not religion but group dynamics: While personal humiliation does not turn out to be a motivation for those attempting to kill civilians, the perception that others with whom one feels a common bond are being humiliated can be a powerful driver for action. "Small-group dynamics involving friends and family that form the diaspora cell of brotherhood and camaraderie on which the rising tide of martyrdom actions is based".[76] Terrorists, according to Atran, are social beings influenced by social connections and values. Rather than dying "for a cause", they might be said to have died "for each other".[77] Simon Cottee in the New York Times suggested that sexual frustration is a major motivating factor in Islamist suicide bombing.
                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

But it appears it was after all Islamic extremists

Source: Sri Lanka Points to Islamist Militants in Easter Bombing Attacks

COLOMBO, Sri Lanka—The Sri Lanka government voiced suspicions that an obscure radical Islamist group organized the devastating series of Easter Sunday attacks on churches and tourist hotels that killed 290 people.

Government officials said some of the suicide bombers and others arrested were linked to a group known as National Thowheeth Jamath, which they had identified earlier this month as the unnamed group Indian and U.S. security services had earlier warned was planning attacks in Sri Lanka.

The sophistication of the Easter-morning attacks indicated to Sri Lankan and international terror experts that whoever carried them likely had help from experienced international terrorists, perhaps even al Qaeda or Islamic State, Sri Lankan officials said.

“We have found that ITJ was involved in the attacks,” said Rajitha Senaratne, a government spokesman and the country’s health commissioner, using an abbreviation for what he called “a local organization.”

While Mr. Senaratne said the government didn’t know of links to an international terror group, he said: “We do not believe these attacks were carried out by a group of people who were confined to this country.”

“There was an international network without which these attacks could not have occurred,” he added

No one has publicly claimed responsibility for the attacks.

Authorities have arrested 26 people in connection with the bombings. Nine men, all of whom the government said were employees in a factory owned by a suspected perpetrator killed in one of the hotel bombings, were remanded to jail by a judge. They were the first suspects to appear in court on Monday.

Police said they discovered 87 detonators, apparently abandoned, at a private bus stand in the capital. Two more explosive devices were also discovered, one late Sunday near the airport and another on Monday in a van near the location where one of at least eight blasts occurred on Sunday. Police conducted a controlled detonation of the device found on Monday, causing no injuries.

After an emergency meeting of the country’s security counsel, President Maithripala Sirisena announced that a state of emergency would take effect at midnight at the end of the Monday and a new curfew would be imposed from evening to morning. The emergency declaration allows the military to make arrests and hold those arrested without charges or appearances before a court for more than a day. A ban on social media remains in effect in the country.

Government officials and investigators underscored the elaborate coordination required for such an ambitious attack, which began with nearly simultaneous explosions at six churches and tourist hotels in and far beyond the capital. At some of the targets, such as the Shangri-La hotel in Colombo, two suicide bombers apparently worked together to maximize carnage: Survivors of the first blast at a restaurant fled out toward where the second bomber detonated his device, according to authorities.

The bomb at the St. Sebastian Church north of Colombo detonated in the midst of the congregation while the Easter sermon was being delivered. Investigators and security analysts said the plan carefully targeted Christians, either in church or vacationing in hotels during Easter holiday. That pattern, they said, has long marked attacks carried out by radical Islamic groups in the Middle East and has emerged in recent international attacks by groups such as Islamic State as their Middle East strongholds are destroyed and they scatter globally.

“This attack took a lot of planning, which is surprising for a group that most have never heard of,” said Raffaello Pantucci of the Royal United Services Institute for Defence and Security Studies, a think tank based in London, referring to the Sri Lankan government’s mention of National Thowheeth Jamath. “That makes me suspect that there is an external link, and Islamic State or al Qaeda are the obvious suspects.”

The Sri Lankan government said it received warnings from security officials in India and the U.S. on April 4 that they had picked up indications that attacks were being planned in Sri Lanka. While those warnings didn’t include the name of the group, Sri Lankan security officials linked them to National Thowheeth Jamath in a circular it distributed to police authorities on April 9.

The group, whose name translates to National Unification Group, is known to have has expressed hard-line views. The local Islamist group originated in 2009 on Sri Lanka’s east coast, where it preached a conservative Salafist form of Islam known as Salafism. The group last year came to be known for defacing Buddhist imagery and inciting religious conflict.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It’s complicated...
                    It's really not. The fact that you can't bring yourself to openly condemn Muslim terrorists and instead suggest that their actions are justified because of "our own sin towards them" says quite a lot about you and your twisted worldview.

Comment

They not only can't bring themselves to say that the targets were Christian the same folks appear to have an allergic reaction to ever saying that the perpetrators are Muslim.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        But it appears it was after all Islamic extremists
                        Let's not call them extremists when they're simply doing what's commanded in their holy texts and following the example of their founder. It's like calling a Christian who refrains from drunkenness and debauchery and cares for the poor a "Christian extremist".

Comment

Why not just say attack on Christians?

Barack Obama

@BarackObama
                          The attacks on tourists and Easter worshippers in Sri Lanka are an attack on humanity. On a day devoted to love, redemption, and renewal, we pray for the victims and stand with the people of Sri

Lanka.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...ck-on-humanity

@HillaryClinton
                          Apr 21
                          More
                          On this holy weekend for many faiths, we must stand united against hatred and violence. I'm praying for everyone affected by today's horrific attacks on Easter worshippers and travelers in Sri Lanka.

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton?r...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

It's really not. The fact that you can't bring yourself to openly condemn Muslim terrorists and instead suggest that their actions are justified because of "our own sin towards them" says quite a lot about you and your twisted worldview.
                            Islamic terrorism is getting progressively worse. The response needs to be either ‘final solution’, tolerating the violence (what happens now), appeasement or a mutual ‘truth and reconciliation’. Policemen won’t fix it.

You need, like we all do, to face the possibility that it’s our fault.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                              How so?

Comment

Right, just like a young woman wearing a mini skirt is asking to be raped.

Comment