Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Abnormal Behavior...

  1. #1
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    23,821
    Amen (Given)
    1579
    Amen (Received)
    4735

    Abnormal Behavior...

    It seems that if materialism/atheism is true no behavior could rightly be considered abnormal. Not homosexuality, pedophilia, not transgenderism, not bestiality. If psychologically there is no objectively right way for a human to act or be, what behavior couldn't be considered normal for our species? Certainly things like murder or rape, though practiced less, would have to be considered normal.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

  2. #2
    Professor KingsGambit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Triangle
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,775
    Amen (Given)
    1588
    Amen (Received)
    4217
    Just to get it out of the way now, the counterargument is going to be "anything that threatens the survival of the species".
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

    All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

  3. #3
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,411
    Amen (Given)
    1556
    Amen (Received)
    1422
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    It seems that if materialism/atheism is true no behavior could rightly be considered abnormal. Not homosexuality, pedophilia, not transgenderism, not bestiality. If psychologically there is no objectively right way for a human to act or be, what behavior couldn't be considered normal for our species? Certainly things like murder or rape, though practiced less, would have to be considered normal.
    That's correct. We determine what is normal or abnormal behavior, but we make these determinations, like sins, via reason, not through the revelations of an imagined deity.

  4. #4
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,411
    Amen (Given)
    1556
    Amen (Received)
    1422
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Just to get it out of the way now, the counterargument is going to be "anything that threatens the survival of the species".
    Which is another way of saying by way of reason.

  5. #5
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    23,821
    Amen (Given)
    1579
    Amen (Received)
    4735
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Just to get it out of the way now, the counterargument is going to be "anything that threatens the survival of the species".
    Why would that be abnormal? If there was a genetic predisposition towards our own destruction, it wouldn't be good, but abnormal? As a matter of fact if the majority thought/acted that way those who sought to preserve the species would be the abnormal ones.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

  6. #6
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    23,821
    Amen (Given)
    1579
    Amen (Received)
    4735
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    That's correct. We determine what is normal or abnormal behavior, but we make these determinations, like sins, via reason, not through the revelations of an imagined deity.
    I have no idea what that means Jim, what reason? Whose reason?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

  7. #7
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,411
    Amen (Given)
    1556
    Amen (Received)
    1422
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    I have no idea what that means Jim, what reason? Whose reason?
    The same reason you use when trying to decide whether what you are about to do is right or wrong. You could choose wrongly, correct? But as a society we make learned decisions and codify them. All of what we decide to be abnormal behaviors do not come from you bible, right? Where do you think they come from?

  8. #8
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    23,821
    Amen (Given)
    1579
    Amen (Received)
    4735
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    The same reason you use when trying to decide whether what you are about to do is right or wrong. You could choose wrongly, correct? But as a society we make learned decisions and codify them. All of what we decide to be abnormal behaviors do not come from you bible, right? Where do you think they come from?
    Well having grown up in the Christian west I believe Scripture had a heavy influence on our moral thinking. And learned decisions? Like what the Maoists did?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

  9. #9
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    132
    Amen (Given)
    147
    Amen (Received)
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Just to get it out of the way now, the counterargument is going to be "anything that threatens the survival of the species".
    How does any of it threaten the survival of the species? Animals kill, rape, and engage in many questionable sexual practices among their own species on a regular basis. None of it threatens them on a larger scale, and there have been atheists who have defended rape from an evolutionary perspective. Obviously I think it's wrong, because I believe in objective morality, but I don't see how they have any basis to claim that "reason" or "survival" justifies not behaving in certain ways.

  10. #10
    tWebber
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,411
    Amen (Given)
    1556
    Amen (Received)
    1422
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    Well having grown up in the Christian west I believe Scripture had a heavy influence on our moral thinking. And learned decisions? Like what the Maoists did?
    No one, from this side, is arguing that the moral beliefs of christianity, or religions in general for that matter, are not based on reason. Your side argues that, that they simply are as a result of gods moral nature, but that's not my argument.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •