Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Abnormal Behavior...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LeaC View Post
    Immorality doesn't make sense to apply to animal behavior(which I know is not your argument either).

So, if enough people decided that pedophilia was in the best interest of a community, there would be no moral objection to it? What connection does that have to reason? As a more moderate example, there are many people today who argue that the world is overpopulated. Wouldn't reason and self-interested survival suggest that we should kill people(whatever group may have undesirable traits that we as a society dictate) until our numbers balance out? In other words, why was Thanos wrong, if reason is the only means to judge moral actions.
    People do not decide Pedophilia is in the best interest of a community. Over time behavior is largely determined by what has the greatest survival advantage for the species, and Pedophilia do not have a survival value for the survival of the species. A diversity of behaviors will exist in human sexuality, but the dominant sexual behaviors that insure the successful reproduction and the survival of the species will always be in the majority. This is true of other primate species, which indeed do have more primitive social structure and morality including punishing violations.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 04-21-2019, 09:36 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      It seems that if materialism/atheism is true no behavior could rightly be considered abnormal. Not homosexuality, pedophilia, not transgenderism, not bestiality. If psychologically there is no objectively right way for a human to act or be, what behavior couldn't be considered normal for our species? Certainly things like murder or rape, though practiced less, would have to be considered normal.
      The behavior considered “normal” for our species is what we, as a social species, determine to be normal. And, in days gone by, we would create gods to reinforce such behavior.

Of course, the behavior permitted by the gods of the classical era was not the same as the behavior permitted by the gods created during the nomadic, tribal era…such as the Judeo/Christian god. But rarely, apart from divine authority to slaughter “the other”, was “murder or rape” tolerated by any of the gods.
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        People do not decide Pedophilia is in the best interest of a community. Over time behavior is largely determined by what has the greatest survival advantage for the species, and Pedophilia do not have a survival value for the survival of the species. A diversity of behaviors will exist in human sexuality, but the dominant sexual behaviors that insure the successful reproduction and the survival of the species will always be in the majority. This is true of other primate species, which indeed do have more primitive social structure and morality including punishing violations.
        And how do we determine which behaviors have the greatest survival advantage?

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
          And how do we determine which behaviors have the greatest survival advantage?
          'We' do not determine it. Species evolve and survive, including homo sapiens, based on what the dominant behavior is for the best advantage of the survival of the species. The cooperative family and tribal structure are the basic social units for survival in human history. Morals and ethics are required for the survival of the cooperative community family and tribal units. There, of course, variations in the morals and ethics in the history of humanity, but there is a consistent pattern in the history of humanity, which does evolve over time. One of the factors of evolving morals and ethics is that they are becoming more universal world wide.

I believe one example is the trend from polygamy to monogamy over time as dominant the world standard. Another is the progressive trend of the end of all forms of slavery.
          Last edited by shunyadragon; 04-25-2019, 04:56 PM.
          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment