Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

What I Value About The Three Branches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I Value About The Three Branches

What do I think we can learn from each branch of Christianity?

Link

-----

Are there things to learn from every branch of Christianity? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

When my wife started looking into Eastern Orthodoxy to convert, I wasn't that happy. Reactionary at first, yeah, but over time, I have modified my viewpoint on this some. Now I am still a thoroughly convinced Protestant. At the same time, I have learned areas about my tradition I appreciate more and areas in other traditions that need to be emphasized better in my own Protestant tradition.

So what do I see in my Protestantism that I emphasize? First off, I am convinced the history is largely on our side since I see many beliefs in the Catholic and Orthodox churches that I don't think can be traced back to the apostles. When I want to know what is reliable, I look at the history and I find the New Testament measures up well. For other traditions, it's a case by case basis. No one ever believes all traditions. Traditions contradict one another. Only select traditions are believed.

Second, I really do think that the Protestants are known as people of the book and we are the ones that do some of the most in-depth research in Scripture. As my wife and I had lunch with an Orthodox couple one day they did say that we Protestants know our Bibles. If someone in the Catholic and Orthodox tradition agrees with this, the good news is our findings are available to all. Anyone can partake and accept them.

Catholics I think have an edge on moral philosophy. Again, this is something that is open to all, but I am thankful they are on our side with pro-life causes and defending marriage. I don't agree with everything on this end still, but I do think some of the best comes from them.

For the Orthodox, my wife and I meet with the priest on a regular basis every two weeks go get regular counsel. I find this to be helpful because if there is something I really like that Allie is getting, it is some ancient wisdom. Too many people in my tradition seem to cut ourselves off from the past as if we are the only people the Holy Spirit has ever led into truth. We're not.

I do think also there is a proper emphasis on worship. This is not to say that I agree with much that goes on in the worship services, such as prayers to the saints and to Mary, but I do realize the heart of it all. Even though I don't agree with much of what I see, I do see a desire to take matters seriously and I have a great respect for that.

So while I am still a thoroughly convinced Protestant, I do think my perspective has been enriched by this journey. I have a good friend online who is a Catholic priest and I get along just fine with the priest at the Orthodox Church. (And both have also let me know that they affirm the virgin birth, which I do affirm.) I sometimes wonder how we can be more ecumenical, but I think I see it when I get together to talk with my friends of a different persuasion. When we get to eternity, I don't think it'd be proper to say we'll all be Protestants, Catholics, or Orthodox.

We'll all be Christians.

Maybe we should just emphasize that right now.

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

I'm currently in a pickle.

I'm the President of our local Ministerial Association (I must have missed a meeting where they voted) and we're currently talking about 'membership' in the 'ministerium'.

They have a very vague mission statement, but no articles of faith, or faith statement -- it doesn't even say that it's a "Christian" organization, though that's generally accepted.

Lately, I was presented with the question of "three ladies" who run a "ministry" outside of town, and would we accept their "ministry"? It sounds, at first listen, like some kind of New Age cult.

But, more importantly, my personal focus as leader of this group has been "let's focus on the things we can agree on, and not worry about the stuff where we don't agree".

Part of this appeal was because, a few years ago, some of the bigger "mainline" churches got together and hosted a conference on "Christian / Islam Relations", where it appeared that the "Christians" were being far more accepting of Islam than many other church leaders thought was healthy. To the point that some of these "Christian" leaders acquiesced to the Imam's suggestion that there "are many ways to Heaven".

Then there was a push for the Ministerium to support the notion that our area be open to federal housing opportunities for illegal immigrants - that this was the "Christian" thing to do. Naturally, this is a very decisive issue, and caused a bit of consternation.

Now we're talking about having an area-wide revival of some sort in the Spring of 2021, and the obvious questions will be - who do we get as a speaker, who will be "generic" enough to speak to the masses, but specific enough to be true to the Gospel. (In talks right now with Tony Evans)

I'm thinking I'm definitely going to turn down the customary "second term" as President of the ministerial association, because I'm seeing it as, in a sense, herding cats. A number of the churches won't even be able to support the area-wide revival concept due to their obligations to their various denominations, and in our area, this is intensifying as, for example, the Methodist Churches have gotten their marching orders concerning same sex marriages and homosexual/lesbian pastors and leaders.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment