Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Torah Comes From Tarot Cards

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Esoteric means stuff that are understood only by a few. For what purpose?

Torah and tarot have no true connection at all, esoteric or otherwise. Some medieval occultist group dreamed it up to claim some strange mysterious doctrine that has nothing to do with God.

God, family, chicken! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnHermes View Post
    Yes we've concluded that the original tarot decks were created in medieval times, but their influence comes from a much older origin(Mesopotamia)
    Nope. They MODELED their images from the ancient world, and may have retro-fitted those ancient images with mysticism and arcane meanings, but that was the origin of those arcane and mystic interpretations, not the original images.

as I posted one a pic of a of the "world" tarot on the cylinder seal, which date far before medieval times.
    No you didn't. you posted an unreferenced cylinder with a figure inside an oval which bears a minimal similarity to a tarot card. The original figure is probably of Gilgamesh and is in no way esoterically linked to that card.

And the tarot themselves as we discussed are based on esoteric theology which have their eternal foundations.
    No they don't. They are made-up copies and re-imaginations of older unrelated art, sculptures, and concepts that has no root in the actual history of that art, sculpture, or concept.

Especially when it comes to hermeticism. For example, the Magician card represents God in it's masculine form (based on esoteric tarot theology). I can go in details, but I'm sure you get the drift.

I just want to post this real quick quote from that site I cited earlier.
    "Esoteric" tarot theology can not be traced any further back than the 1100s. It stole everything and repurposed it for tarot. It's quackery.

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

3. Amen tabibito amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Hermeticism
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Minimal? Funny I posted the same image on reddit and everyone seems to say there's a high resemblance to the photo. There are far too many "coincidences" between the images to just write it off as a mere coincidence. Denying that then just falls into cognitive dissonance. The cylinder seal is at the british museum.

God, family, chicken! Bill the Cat's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Minimal? Funny I posted the same image on reddit and everyone seems to say there's a high resemblance to the photo. There are far too many "coincidences" between the images to just write it off as a mere coincidence. Denying that then just falls into cognitive dissonance. The cylinder seal is at the british museum.
    Reddit? Well, why didn't you say so in the first place?

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Minimal? Funny I posted the same image on reddit and everyone seems to say there's a high resemblance to the photo.
    You wouldn't have happened to post that on r/Tarot, would you have?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    LOL. Reading the comments to the two threads he posted (with the exact same dual image as here), "everyone" was 2 people in r/tarot who said "yeah, they do look similar," one guy who said, "interesting," one was "seems like a stretch," (3 upvotes) and when he replied to that with "too many coincidences to be a coincidence, everyone I know who studies tarot sees it" spiel (paraphrased) another dude replied, "they study tarot not Sumerian history" (2 upvotes).

People on Tarot forums are telling him the same thing you guys told him here. LOL

Edit: Wow, people in other threads in r/tarot, people who actually believe in tarot are ripping his theory to shreds. "Fyi this is super not accurate, this theory was written before we translated the tablet. We know what heiroglyphics mean now and we know that tarot cards came from medical Europe." and "Iím not sure which is more compelling- the grammatical and punctuation errors, or the specious reasoning and dubious historical claims. But every exclamation point made me believe it more and more!"
    Last edited by Adrift; 06-10-2019 at 06:13 PM.

8. Amen Chrawnus, Terraceth, ReformedApologist amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Reformed Baptist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrift View Post
    LOL. Reading the comments to the two threads he posted (with the exact same dual image as here), "everyone" was 2 people in r/tarot who said "yeah, they do look similar," one guy who said, "interesting," one was "seems like a stretch," (3 upvotes) and when he replied to that with "too many coincidences to be a coincidence, everyone I know who studies tarot sees it" spiel (paraphrased) another dude replied, "they study tarot not Sumerian history" (2 upvotes).

People on Tarot forums are telling him the same thing you guys told him here. LOL

Edit: Wow, people in other threads in r/tarot, people who actually believe in tarot are ripping his theory to shreds. "Fyi this is super not accurate, this theory was written before we translated the tablet. We know what heiroglyphics mean now and we know that tarot cards came from medical Europe." and "Iím not sure which is more compelling- the grammatical and punctuation errors, or the specious reasoning and dubious historical claims. But every exclamation point made me believe it more and more!"
    Correct, even historians of Tarot tell you the history goes back only from the 13-15th century https://science.howstuffworks.com/sc...arot-card6.htm

10. Amen Adrift amen'd this post.