Announcement

Collapse

Wicca and Neo-Pagan Religions Guidelines

Theists only.

Which witch is which?

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to Wicca/Neo Paganism. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generally not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Torah Comes From Tarot Cards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torah Comes From Tarot Cards

The story of the tarot is a biblical story which is the Torah. What's strange is that even the etymology is even close to each other. I know some words are just coincidences, but not in this case. Before the tarot was a tool used for mundane purposes, it was used as as a psycho-spiritual tool. Here's a card of the high priestess holding a biblical scroll with letter spelling out "TORA". The H is hidden behind her veil. There's a deep esoteric mystery behind the tarot which even most tarot readers don't even know about. Again to this day, it's mostly used for mundane purposes.

http://www.yhwh.com/tarot/TarotInt.htm

Wiki claims the tarot originated in europe. This isn't correct. Here's a ancient sumerian cylinder seal clearly being one of the first images that started to emerge as the tarot. The rider-waite deck clearly depicts the world card in their deck. Tarot cards are supposed to incorporate numerological and astrotheological symbols pertaining to each number which also pertains to the zodiac and the planets.

chang_spits_milk.gif
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

@billythecat I invite you to prove otherwise. There's numerous text online even the link I showed has evidence too big to ignore. The tarot's story is based on astrotheology.

Last edited by JohnHermes; 04-24-2019, 08:34 AM.

Comment

There's no arguing with crazy.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by JohnHermes View Post
          @billythecat I invite you to prove otherwise. There's numerous text online even the link I showed has evidence too big to ignore. The tarot's story is based on astrotheology.

Source: https://tarot-heritage.com/history-4/early-tarot-1420-1475/

Trick-taking card games, where one of the four suits is designated as a “trump” or “triumph” suit, were extremely popular throughout Europe in the late 14th century. In the early 15th century, someone got the bright idea of creating a fifth suit of illustrated cards to serve as a permanent trump suit for a game called “trionfi” (trumps). Card designers illlustrated this suit with animals, flowers, hunting scenes, or moral allegories.

The First Trionfi Decks
          The first deck of cards we know of with an extra trump suit was commissioned by Duke Filippo Maria Visconti of Milan no later than 1425. He asked his secretary, the humanist scholar and astrologer Maurizio da Tortona, to devise an allegorical card game based on Virtues and Temptations. The deck had four suits, with four extra trump cards depicting classical gods in each suit. These trumps acted as a virtual fifth suit. The deck was painted by the artist Michelino da Besozzo, and was considered exceptionally beautiful. Da Tortona wrote a book describing the cards and their allegorical significance, making this the world’s first deck and book set! The book is in the Bibliotheque Nationale in Paris, but the deck has been lost. A courtier inventing a card game for an aristocratic patron is one possible model for how the first Tarot deck was invented.
          Carte da Trionfi (trump cards) are first mentioned in writing in the Duke of Ferrara’s 1442 account book. We don’t know if it refers to cards with our familiar tarot images, or to a set of triumphs with flowers or hunting scenes. It’s quite possible it was the tarot deck we are familiar with, since a deck with the standard twenty-two tarot trumps was becoming a favorite at the courts of Milan and Ferrara during the 1440s and 1450s. We don’t know if the deck mentioned in the Duke’s account book was hand painted or block printed. The Duke owned a printing press at that time, but fifteenth century aristocrats also commissioned hand-painted, gold- and silver-leafed playing cards from their favorite artists. About 270 cards from at least 15 painted decks have survived to the present day.

© Copyright Original Source

Q.E.D.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

An ancient depiction from an ancient sumerian seal of the world Tarot card is clearly shown here, that can't be denied. These carvings are 10,000 years old. That information you posted is false.

Here's a better image

Comment

Okay, but the image of a woman framed by something is not exactly a profoundly complex pattern. I would expect it to show up independently anywhere a civilization is creating images.

There's no indication that Torah and Tarot are etymologically connected, I'm not sure how you get that other than they sound similar. Tarot is German or Italian and there are plenty of German or Italian words that sound like "Tarot" that have nothing to do with "Torah." Both words appeared at different times and even if they were connected, it doesn't mean much. It's definitely not enough to say one produced the other.

If the Tarot references the bible, like the scroll in your image, that doesn't prove anything significant. The cards evolved from card games played by Christian Europe in the 16th century. There's even a "Devil" card with a male and female figure on it which could be Adam and Eve
              "Some people feel guilty about their anxieties and regard them as a defect of faith but they are afflictions, not sins. Like all afflictions, they are, if we can so take them, our share in the passion of Christ." - That Guy Everyone Quotes

Comment

So, an unnamed "cylinder seal" with absolutely no reference or citation is used to compare a person inside of a oval shape, and these are supposed to be the same thing?
                That's what
                - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Yeah, this is awfully far-fetched. Even if the image was directly copied, it doesn't necessarily follow that the person copying had any understanding of what the original image depicted or what its significance was. I can copy any image from antiquity myself and tell you it means whatever I want it to.
                  Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

I can't see it being far fetched. Not every depictions of the tarot is exactly the same. So there wont be an exact replica. The rider waite tarot clearly either took elements from ancient pictographs. @QuantaFille

Just because it's not public knowledge or know wiki knowledge doesn't make it true. And secondly what about the women holding the biblical scroll holding a scroll "tora"? I mean there's a line where we cross that a coincidence is no longer a coincidence.. The creators of rider waite clearly indicate a biblical implication. They knew exactly what they were doing.

Every symbol, every image has significance. You stated that her "holding a biblical scroll" has no significance or her trying to portray anything? On the contrary this has huge significance. Why ignore such an important detail? I highly doubt the creators were playing practical jokes. There's rabbi's who strictly study Kabbalah Tarot and know this esoteric information.

@billthecat For some reason the old ancient tarot pictoglyph was removed. ml But there are other similar engravings at the British museum and probably the pictoglyph is still there.

Here's one from the british museum. This was known as one of the first discovered tarot pictoglyph version of the "magician".

. Cylinder seals were invented around 3500 BC in the Near East, at the contemporary site of Susa in south-western Iran and at the early site of Uruk in southern Mesopotamia. They are linked to the invention of the latter cuneiform writing on clay cylinders.
                    https://www.crystalinks.com/sumercylinderseals.html
                    Last edited by JohnHermes; 04-24-2019, 02:53 PM.

Comment

I can't see it being far fetched. Not every depictions of the tarot is exactly the same. So there wont be an exact replica. The rider waite tarot clearly either took elements from ancient pictographs.
                      Which had nothing to do with Tarot. The creators of the tarot cards used ancient pictographs to invent their characters. That much is correct. Maurizio da Tortona, as I cited above, used pictographs from ancient sources to create the cards. The original images were not Tarot. They were stolen to create tarot.

And secondly what about the women holding the biblical scroll holding a scroll "tora"?
                      That's where that image originated, with that card art. Torah was the symbol of heavenly knowledge, and hiding the "h" showed that some knowledge was hidden. Again, nothing about this shows pre-dating the middle ages.

I mean there's a line where we cross that a coincidence is no longer a coincidence.. The creators of rider waite clearly indicate a biblical implication. They knew exactly what they were doing.
                      No, there was no "biblical implication". It was just a symbol of Torah being heavenly knowledge.

Every symbol, every image has significance.
                      But, again, no evidence they pre-existed the middle ages with that interpretation.

You stated that her "holding a biblical scroll" has no significance or her trying to portray anything? On the contrary this has huge significance. Why ignore such an important detail? I highly doubt the creators were playing practical jokes. There's rabbi's who strictly study Kabbalah Tarot and know this esoteric information.
                      Kabbalah???

@billthecat For some reason the old ancient tarot pictoglyph was removed.
                      It wasn't "ancient tarot". That's the issue. The seals told the Sumerian creation myths. Had ZERO to do with tarot. It wasn't until the middle ages that these pictograms were usurped to be put on tarot cards.

But there are other similar engravings at the British museum and probably the pictoglyph is still there.

Here's one from the british museum. This was known as one of the first discovered tarot pictoglyph version of the "magician".

https://www.crystalinks.com/sumercylinderseals.html
                      That's not "the Magician". That's Shamash, the Sumerian sun god. Has NOTHING to do with tarot.
                      That's what
                      - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

The story of the tarot is a biblical story which is the Torah. What's strange is that even the etymology is even close to each other. I know some words are just coincidences, but not in this case. Before the tarot was a tool used for mundane purposes, it was used as as a psycho-spiritual tool. Here's a card of the high priestess holding a biblical scroll with letter spelling out "TORA". The H is hidden behind her veil. There's a deep esoteric mystery behind the tarot which even most tarot readers don't even know about. Again to this day, it's mostly used for mundane purposes.

http://www.yhwh.com/tarot/TarotInt.htm

Wiki claims the tarot originated in europe. This isn't correct. Here's a ancient sumerian cylinder seal clearly being one of the first images that started to emerge as the tarot. The rider-waite deck clearly depicts the world card in their deck. Tarot cards are supposed to incorporate numerological and astrotheological symbols pertaining to each number which also pertains to the zodiac and the planets.

GIF Laugh at You (2).gif

FWIU the images associated with tarot cards originated at the very earliest somewhere in or around the 11th cent. No, not 11th cent. B.C. but A.D. AFAICT this is quite some time after the Sumerians.

And here I thought Mormon butchering of history and shoehorning it into a desired narrative was bad.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

There are substantial similarities between the words "Tarot" and "Carrot". Make of that information what you will.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                            There are substantial similarities between the words "Tarot" and "Carrot". Make of that information what you will.
                            But Tarot rhymes with...

karo.jpg

And carrot rhymes with...

um.... something else.

ferret.jpg
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                              I'll grin and bare it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment