Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump To Use Executive Privilege?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump To Use Executive Privilege?

Good...

President Trump on Tuesday said he is opposed to current and former White House aides providing testimony to congressional panels in the wake of the special counsel report, intensifying a power struggle between his administration and House Democrats.

In an interview with The Washington Post, Trump said that complying with congressional requests was unnecessary after the White House cooperated with special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s probe of Russian interference and the president’s own conduct in office.

“There is no reason to go any further, and especially in Congress where it’s very partisan — obviously very partisan,” Trump said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.178a13f6683a
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

"In an interview with The Washington Post, Trump said that complying with congressional requests was unnecessary after the White House cooperated with special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s probe of Russian interference and the president’s own conduct in office."

That's an excellent point. Mueller's investigation was extremely thoroughly -- overreaching, even -- so what is left for House Democrats to uncover?
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Article seems to be paywalled, so I can't view it except for the part quoted here.

Exerting Executive Privilege in this situation is all the more appropriate as it preserves the separation of powers between the branches.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

It's getting crazy now. Government can only rule for so long. Eventually some caged animals go berserk. Green vest movement time?

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          Good...
          Too late. Just delaying tactics; he’s got plenty to hide and the public deserve to know what dirty deeds this loathsome idiot’s been up to.
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
            Too late. Just delaying tactics; he’s got plenty to hide and the public deserve to know what dirty deeds this loathsome idiot’s been up to.
            You've seen what he was supposedly "up to". You deserve nothing further.
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              "In an interview with The Washington Post, Trump said that complying with congressional requests was unnecessary after the White House cooperated with special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s probe of Russian interference and the president’s own conduct in office."
              The three branches of US government are separate but equal. They each have their own special responsibilities and powers. One of the functions of the Legislative Branch is oversight of the Executive Branch. It is not for the Executive Branch to obstruct to duties of the Legislative Branch. Especially given that “obstruction” of the Special Counsel’s Inquiry was well established by Mueller and his team in 10 separate instances.

That's an excellent point. Mueller's investigation was extremely thoroughly -- overreaching, even -- so what is left for House Democrats to uncover?
              It's not for you OR Trump to say. Congress has its role to fulfill as it sees fit.
              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                The three branches of US government are separate but equal. They each have their own special responsibilities and powers. One of the functions of the Legislative Branch is oversight of the Executive Branch.
                That is correct, and the Executive Branch has its powers and special responsibilities too. Including resisting a political fishing expedition by the Legislative Branch. It is called a separation of powers. And where does the Constitution say that the Legislative Branch has oversight over the Executive Branch? Please be specific.
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
                  The three branches of US government are separate but equal. They each have their own special responsibilities and powers. One of the functions of the Legislative Branch is oversight of the Executive Branch. It is not for the Executive Branch to obstruct to duties of the Legislative Branch. Especially given that “obstruction” of the Special Counsel’s Inquiry was well established by Mueller and his team in 10 separate instances.

It's not for you OR Trump to say. Congress has its role to fulfill as it sees fit.
                  Go away, media tourist. "Separate but equal" also means that the President is well within his Constitutional authority to tell Congress to take a hike.

And I'm going to echo seer here: Where does the Constitution say anything about Congress having oversight of the executive branch? Give direct quote from the document itself.

Comment

"Separate but equal" also means that the President is well within his Constitutional authority to tell Congress to take a hike.
                    "Separate but equal" also means that Congress is well within his Constitutional authority to tell the president to "get lost", when he tries to obstruct justice. Especially given that there is ample evidence that Trump did (and is doing re Don Mcgahn etc) just that.

And I'm going to echo seer here: Where does the Constitution say anything about Congress having oversight of the executive branch? Give direct quote from the document itself.
                    Congress’s oversight authority derives from its “implied” powers in the Constitution, public laws, and House and Senate rules. It has long been considered an integral part of the American system of checks and balances.
                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassmoron View Post
                      Congress’s oversight authority derives from its “implied” powers in the Constitution, public laws, and House and Senate rules. It has long been considered an integral part of the American system of checks and balances.
                      I want a direct quote from the Constitution itself, and not your self-serving interpretation of what you think it says.

Comment

I want a direct quote from the Constitution itself, and not your self-serving interpretation of what you think it says.
                        Was it a "self-serving interpretation" when Congress exercised its oversight authority over say, the Clinton administration? Or is it just when Congress exercises it oversight authority over Trump's administration that gets you upset? Congressional authority has long been considered an integral part of the American system of checks and balances

https://www.everycrsreport.com/reports/R45442.html

Comment

Your inability to provide a direct quote from the Constitution is noted, and rhe article you linked to does not support your claims.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                            "Separate but equal" also means that Congress is well within his Constitutional authority to tell the president to "get lost", when he tries to obstruct justice. Especially given that there is ample evidence that Trump did (and is doing re Don Mcgahn etc) just that.
                            And separation of powers means that the President can tell Congress to pound sand.

Implied powers? Congress has the right to impeach, there is nothing saying that Trump Constitutionally must help the investigation.

Comment

Over the last few decades the Congress, whether controlled by Democrats or Republicans, has been steadily ceding many of their powers over to the president.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment