Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Is this deal too good to be true?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do find your updates interesting, in case you're wondering if anybody cares.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I figured at least you were reading my updates. I'm going to post pictures of it, and before and after screenshots. I expect the difference to be stunning. I've been playing everything on the lowest settings, and now I'll be able to play on the highest settings.
      Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
        I figured at least you were reading my updates. I'm going to post pictures of it, and before and after screenshots. I expect the difference to be stunning. I've been playing everything on the lowest settings, and now I'll be able to play on the highest settings.
        I built clones very shortly after the IBM PC came out. Back then, a clone PC with NO hard drive, but with TWO 5 1/4 floppies, and 640K of ram -- was easily $1,000, but that included a dazzling RGB color monitor with an astounding .32 dpi.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I built clones very shortly after the IBM PC came out. Back then, a clone PC with NO hard drive, but with TWO 5 1/4 floppies, and 640K of ram -- was easily $1,000, but that included a dazzling RGB color monitor with an astounding .32 dpi.
          I remember being able to see individual pixels on those monitors. It wasn't until the mid/late 2000s that I was able to acquire a hand-me-down flat panel screen with decent resolution.

Comment

I remember being able to see individual pixels on those monitors. It wasn't until the mid/late 2000s that I was able to acquire a hand-me-down flat panel screen with decent resolution.
            Yup, remember the tremendous breakthrough when we increased resolution from .38 dpi to .28 dpi.

Being colorblind, however, I always thought the monochrome monitor was the sharpest. In fact, most of the clients I had who worked with AutoCad would use a color monitor for their drawings, but a monochrome monitor for the text where they would type in the parameters.

I also remember when the monochrome monitors went from green only, to also being available in amber. For some reason, the amber looked even sharper than the green.

Comment

I always thought the amber was easier on the eyes. If I played games, Chuck Yeager's flight simulator for instance, on a green monitor for any length of time, everything I looked at for a while afterwards was magenta tinged.

Comment

Ok. Almost all the parts arrived today. I'm still waiting on the case so I can't even start putting it together yet! Amazon hasn't even shipped it yet! I should have ordered it from Newegg like everything else. They ship super quick.

Comment

Ok. Just about everything is assembled and plugged in. I've been working on it a little at a time every night after work since the case came. I only need to finish plugging in all the front panel stuff to the motherboard. I will do that tomorrow and try to get Windows and all my programs installed. That will probably take most of the day. I have to download 64 bit versions of everything, as all the downloaded installers I have on my current hard drive are 32 bit versions.

Tomorrow while I'm waiting for everything to finish installing, I'll post pictures of the finished computer. That is, if I get lucky and it boots up right on the first try and I don't end up with any faulty hardware! Then once my games are up and running I'll post some before and after screenshots, so you can see how pitiful my old desktop and laptop really are.

Comment

I have to download 64 bit versions of everything, as all the downloaded installers I have on my current hard drive are 32 bit versions.
                    If you're using 64-bit Windows 7, 8 or 10, then you should be able to natively run 32-bit programs on it as well as 64-bit -- though I understand that 64-bit programs do run faster. Only 16-bit programs would require a virtual machine of some kind.

Just saying. Hope that goes well for you.
                    ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
                      If you're using 64-bit Windows 7, 8 or 10, then you should be able to natively run 32-bit programs on it as well as 64-bit -- though I understand that 64-bit programs do run faster. Only 16-bit programs would require a virtual machine of some kind.

Just saying. Hope that goes well for you.
                      Yeah, I'm not going to go to the trouble of upgrading hardware just to run old, slow software. I'm tired of slow. But good to know just the same, in case I can't get a 64 bit version of something. But I think all the games and programs I want to install come in a 64 bit version. At least, I hope they do. We're about to find out.

I'll be using Windows 10 Pro, because that's the version my dad had sitting around (as you do). I've been using XP on my desktop and Vista on the laptop. At work we use Windows 7, but my interaction with it is limited to the program we use for tracking jobs. I've never used 8 or 10 so this will be a different experience for me.

Comment

Yeah, I'm not going to go to the trouble of upgrading hardware just to run old, slow software. I'm tired of slow. But good to know just the same, in case I can't get a 64 bit version of something. But I think all the games and programs I want to install come in a 64 bit version. At least, I hope they do. We're about to find out.

I'll be using Windows 10 Pro, because that's the version my dad had sitting around (as you do). I've been using XP on my desktop and Vista on the laptop. At work we use Windows 7, but my interaction with it is limited to the program we use for tracking jobs. I've never used 8 or 10 so this will be a different experience for me.
                        I remember once, after upgrading to a 386sx (that was expensive back in the day) and trying to run Frogger ---- poor Frogger looked like he was on speed, and the music sounded like it was a bleep tone for a bunch of cuss words. It was absolutely impossible to get Frogger across the highway without getting run over by speedbusses or.... not sure what some of those streaks were.

I actually found a sort of (can't remember if it was like a virtual machine or some other environment) that let me run it.

Gee, I miss Frogger!

Comment

I remember once, after upgrading to a 386sx (that was expensive back in the day) and trying to run Frogger ---- poor Frogger looked like he was on speed, and the music sounded like it was a bleep tone for a bunch of cuss words. It was absolutely impossible to get Frogger across the highway without getting run over by speedbusses or.... not sure what some of those streaks were.

I actually found a sort of (can't remember if it was like a virtual machine or some other environment) that let me run it.

Gee, I miss Frogger!
                          I had a similar experience with a game called Valhalla. My dad set up a 286 for me to be able to play it about 15 years ago. Then more recently I found a DOS emulator for my phone and played through the game again. Fun stuff.

Comment

Gee, I miss Frogger!
                            http://www.free80sarcade.com/frogger.php

Comment

I'm setting up the BIOS now. It actually booted up right on the first try. Part of me was not expecting that, lol.

Comment

I'm setting up the BIOS now. It actually booted up right on the first try. Part of me was not expecting that, lol.
                                The BIOS is the big thing. Then you have to install Windows.

Windows 10 is a lot easier to install than previous versions were. Still takes a while though. Good luck.

Comment