Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Is this deal too good to be true?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaFille View Post
    Oh! I forgot to mention. I found out what was causing that "invalid partition table" error on the laptop. A while back, I was playing with Ubuntu on a USB stick, and had set the boot order to USB first, then hard drive. I recently bought an external USB hard drive for backups, which obviously doesn't have an OS on it, so when the laptop saw the drive but didn't find an OS, it freaked out a little. I had forgotten that I had done that and never put the boot order back the way it was. I still haven't.
    But, that doesn't change the fact that the laptop is starting to corrupt data and I don't want to buy a replacement hard drive on the off chance that it's only that. The whole reason I bought the backup drive is because of the issues I'm having with both computers and I don't want to lose anything.
    Yup, I remember the days of DOS, and having to assign the boot partition of you created any virtual drives, and how easy it was to have your hard drive NOT boot. In the old days, we used to have to go into the system BIOS and make sure the drive geometry matched whatever hard drive we installed.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So. The new power supply arrived today and I installed it. Plugged everything in, hit the power switch on the PSU, and the CPU fan came on full speed. This is before I pushed the power button on the front of the case. The power button was lit up amber, which on an Optiplex means there's a problem with the power supply. I put the original PSU back in the case and plugged in only the motherboard and CPU power cables and plugged the power cable into the wall outlet. The power button wasn't amber so I pushed it, but got an error code on the motherboard diagnostic LEDs. I looked it up and it's "see on-screen error message" but of course at this point there's no monitor plugged in. My computer desk is in a cramped spot so I was performing surgery on the kitchen table. It is getting late and I have work tomorrow so this will have to wait.
    I already went to the EVGA website and signed up, so I'll be able to submit a support ticket. I hope it's just a dud PSU and not a compatibility issue, so I can have at least one computer semi-functioning until I get a new one.

Updates to come...
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Ok. After several rounds with tech support and some more troubleshooting and experimentation, it was eventually determined that my current computer just does not like this PSU. So, I'm using my laptop exclusively until I get the new computer built.

I have still been agonizing over which parts to settle on. Here's my current list:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Dsywhg

My strategy is to get the best CPU and GPU I can afford now, since those will be expensive to upgrade later. I'm still waiting on sales so the price shown on that page isn't what I'll end up paying. I'm still getting the RTX 2060 Super GPU since it supports ray tracing. The GTX 1660 Ti technically does too, but from what I hear it was only after a driver update and it doesn't really have the hardware necessary for it. FPS really takes a hit if ray tracing is enabled. It costs a fraction of what the RTX 2060 Super costs but I'll have to upgrade sooner which makes it not worth it to me.

I think this is my final parts list... for now, lol.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

4. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.