Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Is this deal too good to be true?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
    I'm setting up the BIOS now. It actually booted up right on the first try. Part of me was not expecting that, lol.
    I remember the old days where you actually had to go into the BIOS and set up the drive type and geometry, or the computer wouldn't even recognize the hard drive.

Oh, and the first drive was drive 0, the second was drive 1. (we often had "boot drive" and a "data drive")
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

This motherboard's BIOS automatically set the boot drive to USB when it saw the USB stick with the Windows install file on it. I didn't have to change anything. I'm impressed.

I downloaded the GPU drivers for this version of Windows from the manufacturer's website, and when I tried to install it complained that the drivers are for a different version of Windows. This means I need to obtain an optical drive to install the drivers from the CD that came in the box. Grr.
      Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

This motherboard's BIOS automatically set the boot drive to USB when it saw the USB stick with the Windows install file on it. I didn't have to change anything. I'm impressed.
        Yeah, most people who set up computers these days don't have to interact with the BIOS at all ---- between the BIOS and the OS, most of these things just get negotiated behind the scene.

I downloaded the GPU drivers for this version of Windows from the manufacturer's website, and when I tried to install it complained that the drivers are for a different version of Windows. This means I need to obtain an optical drive to install the drivers from the CD that came in the box. Grr.
        Hmmmmm........ isn't there a Linux boot disk that does that? Been a while since I've done it, lemme check.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Ok. I think the drivers won't install because Windows hasn't been activated yet. My dad gave me the stick without an activation code. He says he has it but I'll have to wait until he gets home from work.

Comment

Ok. I think the drivers won't install because Windows hasn't been activated yet. My dad gave me the stick without an activation code. He says he has it but I'll have to wait until he gets home from work.
            Usually Windows will work for a few days without having to activate it. I never had any driver problems before activating. Make sure you have the correct drivers. Also try rebooting a few times. Sometimes it takes Windows a few times to find the new hardware after installing. Another thing to do is open Device Manager, find the device without the driver and right click and try "update driver" or "scan for hardware changes"

Comment

I have rebooted multiple times. I downloaded the drivers from the manufacturer (Gigabyte) and from the chipset manufacturer (NVIDIA). I downloaded different versions of each. I installed NVIDIA's driver update utility, which can't even find a compatible driver. When I look at my GPU in Device Manager, it does not show the GPU I have, it only shows that it is a generic Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, and won't let me install any other drivers than the basic Windows one. It can't even see the ones I downloaded when I point it at the folder. "Update Driver" only re-installs the current driver. "Scan for hardware changes" doesn't find anything different.

Comment

Just activated Windows and rebooted. No change. It still won't install and won't detect my actual video card.

Comment

Just activated Windows and rebooted. No change. It still won't install and won't detect my actual video card.
                  Quanta, try (whatever way it works on Windows 10) going to Windows Update or updating windows with Microsoft website updates. I think Windows 10 favors installing Microsoft drivers for all modern hardware (video cards being one of those types of things).
                  3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures --1 Corinthians 15:3-4 (borrowed with gratitude from 37818's sig)

Comment

I tried updating Windows through the Control Panel but only got an error message.
                    I went to the Nvidia website and posted in the user forum to explain what was happening (or not happening, as the case may be) and it was suggested that I had an outdated version of Windows. I posted the build # and it was confirmed, but I couldn't get Windows to update itself because it's too old. The people on the Nvidia forums told me how to do it manually and it's currently installing the update. That should solve it. Looks like I may get to play Minecraft all weekend after all.

Comment

I tried updating Windows through the Control Panel but only got an error message.
                      I went to the Nvidia website and posted in the user forum to explain what was happening (or not happening, as the case may be) and it was suggested that I had an outdated version of Windows. I posted the build # and it was confirmed, but I couldn't get Windows to update itself because it's too old. The people on the Nvidia forums told me how to do it manually and it's currently installing the update. That should solve it. Looks like I may get to play Minecraft all weekend after all.
                      Isn't it good to have friends in digital places?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Isn't it good to have friends in digital places?
                        I am feeling particularly thankful for internet access just about now.

Comment

Way back when the internet was still fairly new, I had a STRANGE case of Windows for Workgroups making Quickbooks act weird. Of the 7 workstations, only 3 could see the Quickbooks data at any one time. I tried and tried to figure it out, but was stuck.

I kept asking what changed from the day before, when EVERYTHING was working fine.

Finally, somebody volunteered that they got a new HP LaserJet, but that was the ONLY thing different.

I did my online research, and lo and behold -- a documented case of HP Laserjet drivers causing connectivity problems over Windows for Workgroups, making the Quickbooks database disconnect!!!!

Who knew!!!!!

Comment

And now, it is picture and screenshot time!

Pictures of the completed computer itself:

20191214_063240sm.jpg 20191214_063257sm.jpg

Comment

And now, it is picture and screenshot time!

Pictures of the completed computer itself:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]41404[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]41405[/ATTACH]

Comment

Before and after, Minecraft edition:

2019-12-02_20.54.18.jpg 2019-12-14_09.05.54sm.jpg

2019-12-01_17.58.40.jpg 2019-12-14_09.13.55sm.jpg

2019-12-01_15.24.16.jpg 2019-12-14_09.19.08sm.jpg

Comment