Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Is this deal too good to be true?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this deal too good to be true?

I found this laptop on Amazon. Others that are similar cost $1000+. The price keeps dropping, too. It was just under $500 when I first saw it. Is there something I'm missing? Or should I grab one while I can?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07HK...XJXLQRAM&psc=1
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
    I found this laptop on Amazon. Others that are similar cost $1000+. The price keeps dropping, too. It was just under $500 when I first saw it. Is there something I'm missing? Or should I grab one while I can?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07HK...XJXLQRAM&psc=1
    16 Gigs Ram is pretty decent - the hard drive is a bit small, considering most laptops have 1 or 2 T hard drives now, but the price for what it describes looks pretty good.
    How soon do you need to buy? I saw a couple deals that may be able to beat this, but I won't be able to dig them up til after lunch.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That hard drive is way bigger than all my current hard drives put together, including my backup drive. My current desktop computer is over 12 years old and has been acting up lately. I have a laptop computer that I use in the kitchen for music, but it has a bad screen and would need an external monitor to be used for gaming. It is only just barely better and newer than my desktop and may not outlast it by much. So, my current computers are hanging on by a thread but are still usable. I just don't want to wait until they are unusable before I replace them.

The thing I like about this Dell I'm looking at, is that it has a dedicated graphics card which is a nice thing to have in a laptop.

If you want to try to find something better, I would appreciate that.

Comment

That hard drive is way bigger than all my current hard drives put together, including my backup drive. My current desktop computer is over 12 years old and has been acting up lately. I have a laptop computer that I use in the kitchen for music, but it has a bad screen and would need an external monitor to be used for gaming. It is only just barely better and newer than my desktop and may not outlast it by much. So, my current computers are hanging on by a thread but are still usable. I just don't want to wait until they are unusable before I replace them.

The thing I like about this Dell I'm looking at, is that it has a dedicated graphics card which is a nice thing to have in a laptop.

If you want to try to find something better, I would appreciate that.
        If 500 Gig HD is not a problem (I like the 16 Gigs RAM) this may be just right for you --- I'll check after lunch just in case I find a better deal.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Cool. I figure a hard drive is one of the easiest things to swap out if I need a bigger one later.

Thank you, CP!

Comment

For that price, and since you don't need 1 or 2T, it looks pretty good.

"Renewed" is Amazon's way of saying "rebuilt" or "refurbished", but I also noted it came with a 90 day money back or replacement guaranty. That often means that the product you get won't be EXACTLY like what you bought, but should be pretty durn close.

Win 10 Pro 64 bit is included!

ETA: I have a laptop similar in keyboard layout, and the only problem is that I 'naturally' put my hands "mid laptop" to type, but with the numeric keypad on the right, your hands actually need to be left of center.

dell.jpg
            Last edited by Cow Poke; 04-25-2019, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Interesting -- it has USB 3.0, along with HDMI *and* display port...

Ports:
              Left
              --1 - Lock Slot
              --2 - USB 3.0
              --1 - Microphone
              --1 - Headphone
              --1 - 9-in-1 media card reader
              --1 - SmartCard reader (optional)
              --1 - 54mm ExpressCard slot
              Rear
              --1 - VGA
              --1 - RJ-45
              --1 - eSATA / USB 2.0
              --1 - HDMI
              Right
              --2 - USB 3.0
              --1 - DisplayPort
              --1 - Wireless switch
              Wireless: Wireless 802.11 ac
              Bluetooth: 4.0
              Built-In Webcam: NO
              Optical Drive: DVD-RW
              Keyboard Type: Backlit Keyboard
              Dimension: 10.1 x 14.8 x 1.3 inches
              Product Weight: 5.6 pounds
              operating system: Windows 10 pro 64 bit

I'm kinda wondering about HDMI AND DisplayPort -- wish I could see a rear and side view.

Comment

Interesting - here's an overview of -- not specifically the one you are considering -- but the M4800 in general...

Note he keeps saying it's "heavy", and not ultra portable. But, yes, appears to have DisplayPort + SVGA + HDMI

Comment

I'll have to check my current monitor, but it might not have HDMI. I can always get an adapter if I have to, but I'm using a DVI cable with my current setup. My monitor is old too but I'm happy with it and don't plan on replacing it any time soon. When I showed this laptop to my dad he said I might have to use an adapter that converts from Display Port to DVI.

Also, I don't care about the weight. It's replacing my desktop and will rarely (if ever) leave my desk.

Windows 10 pre-installed is a bit of a bummer, but I can put something else on it.

Comment

Looks like the HD is only 5400 RPM. That'll have to go. It'll cost about $60-70ish to get a 1TB 7200 RPM to replace it. That's still less than I was wanting to spend on a new computer. I had set myself a budget of $700 but I don't have that money yet. If I get this one, and even if I replace the HD right away, I can have it sooner than anticipated.

I also found a slightly different version that has Windows 7, for a few dollars less.

Comment

Looks like the HD is only 5400 RPM. That'll have to go. It'll cost about $60-70ish to get a 1TB 7200 RPM to replace it. That's still less than I was wanting to spend on a new computer. I had set myself a budget of $700 but I don't have that money yet. If I get this one, and even if I replace the HD right away, I can have it sooner than anticipated.

I also found a slightly different version that has Windows 7, for a few dollars less.
                      Yeah, this one was, apparently, pretty much a desktop replacement computer.

And, even if your monitor is old and has DVI, it's likely to have VGA as well, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Yeah, this one was, apparently, pretty much a desktop replacement computer.

And, even if your monitor is old and has DVI, it's likely to have VGA as well, no?
                        Yeah, it does, but VGA quality is kinda... eh..

Comment

It is a refurbished computer.

Product works and looks like new. Comes with a 90-day warranty.
                          This Amazon Renewed product is professionally inspected and tested by an Amazon qualified supplier. Box and accessories may be generic. Learn more

There is another one that is cheaper (also refurbushed)
                          https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071751G3P..._t1_B07HKBDFQX

if you scroll down the page you can see a comparison with other laptops at similar prices that are not refurbished.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            It is a refurbished computer.

Product works and looks like new. Comes with a 90-day warranty.
                            This Amazon Renewed product is professionally inspected and tested by an Amazon qualified supplier. Box and accessories may be generic. Learn more
                            I sure wish I had said that!

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            "Renewed" is Amazon's way of saying "rebuilt" or "refurbished", but I also noted it came with a 90 day money back or replacement guaranty. That often means that the product you get won't be EXACTLY like what you bought, but should be pretty durn close.

Comment

If you're looking for a laptop, I'd suggest checking out Woot.com as well. They pretty much always have deals on laptops.
                              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment