Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is this deal too good to be true?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I forgot to mention updating the BIOS. I wonder how many people own a laptop for YEARS and never update the BIOS.
    heck even I forget to update the bios often enough. I usually try to remember once a year to check. But usually after a couple of years they stop updating it.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    heck even I forget to update the bios often enough. I usually try to remember once a year to check. But usually after a couple of years they stop updating it.
    Yeah, I think it's mainly important in the first few years, when they've had a chance to get some bug reports, and update accordingly.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaFille View Post
    I've been checking them out the last few days. They seem to have almost exclusively HP computers with few others. I'm not sure how to feel about that. Are HP electronics prone to problems and so are flooding the refurb market? Or do they have some kind of deal with Woot?
    That I couldn't say...from what I remember, they do seem to have a lot of HPs on there when I've checked periodically over the years.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Ok, we had another storm and my replacement power supply is now fried. So I'm using my laptop hooked up to my desktop monitor and keyboard, since the laptop screen is really messed up (lots of red speckles where it should be solid black). I tried to wake up the laptop this morning and got a black screen with "Invalid partition table!" at the top. I did get it to boot properly eventually but yeah, I hope people start paying me back the money I've lent them so I can get this new computer soon.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Ok, now I'm drooling over this one...

https://computers.woot.com/offers/hp...cnt_sc_is_0_tl

I'm trying to talk myself out of buying it before I do something stupid. But my credit card issuer is running a double rewards points special until the exact end of that woot deal, so it's hard to say no. Also August has an extra payday for RG and me...

6. Amen Sparko amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Ok. So here's where I am now.
    I did not buy that HP Omen laptop. I'm glad now that I did not, because I ended up figuring out how to get exactly what I want.
    I went to pcpartpicker.com and put this together: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cHLwV7
    It is pretty pricey (the video card alone costs almost as much as the laptop that prompted this thread!) but I plan on waiting for Christmas sales to get it cheaper. Plus maybe some of the less important parts I can get refurbished. Totalling the car helps with being able to afford it, too (I have already purchased a badly needed new washing machine). I plan on using whatever I get for 10+ years, and this one is more future proof than any of the laptops I was considering.

8. Amen The Melody Maker amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaFille View Post
    Ok. So here's where I am now.
    I did not buy that HP Omen laptop. I'm glad now that I did not, because I ended up figuring out how to get exactly what I want.
    I went to pcpartpicker.com and put this together: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cHLwV7
    It is pretty pricey (the video card alone costs almost as much as the laptop that prompted this thread!) but I plan on waiting for Christmas sales to get it cheaper. Plus maybe some of the less important parts I can get refurbished. Totalling the car helps with being able to afford it, too (I have already purchased a badly needed new washing machine). I plan on using whatever I get for 10+ years, and this one is more future proof than any of the laptops I was considering.
    I'm compressed! You're really doing your homework!
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I'm compressed! You're really doing your homework!
    I have spent an irresponsible number of hours reading user reviews and professional reviews of various hardware options. This whole system is built around that specific video card. I plan on getting more RAM and a solid state hard drive in a few years.
    Now the hard part... waiting for Christmas!

11. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I've just bought the first part. The power supply, so that in the meantime I can use my current "good" video card in my desktop computer. My laptop does not run my games very well at all.
    I did decide to get the EVGA Supernova G5 650 watt power supply after all. Newegg has a $30 mail in rebate for it right now, and it has all the features and capacity I want.
    Once I get all the other parts, the original power supply for this Dell GX280 (my current desktop) is going back in it again (I've never had another case that's seen as many power supply changes as this one has) and the new power supply will go in the new build. My dad has informed me he's taking the Dell back when I'm done with it. Good luck to him. He can keep the video card I bought for it. He probably has another power supply sitting around with enough capacity to use it.