Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this deal too good to be true?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaFille View Post
    Neither of you needed to! I knew it was refurbished before I posted here. I read (and re-read) the entire page before I started this thread. I have no problem buying refurbished electronics.
    Neither do I, as long as there's some form of warranty - often 90 days. My theory is that, having had some kind of problem, the item is much more scrutinized than something that just rolls off assembly and gets boxed up.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

2. Amen QuantaFille amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    If you're looking for a laptop, I'd suggest checking out Woot.com as well. They pretty much always have deals on laptops.
    I've been checking them out the last few days. They seem to have almost exclusively HP computers with few others. I'm not sure how to feel about that. Are HP electronics prone to problems and so are flooding the refurb market? Or do they have some kind of deal with Woot?
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaFille View Post
    I've been checking them out the last few days. They seem to have almost exclusively HP computers with few others. I'm not sure how to feel about that. Are HP electronics prone to problems and so are flooding the refurb market? Or do they have some kind of deal with Woot?
    I have had a couple of HP laptops over the years. In fact I still have both of them and they still work. One is about 8 years old now and the other is about 5.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I have had a couple of HP laptops over the years. In fact I still have both of them and they still work. One is about 8 years old now and the other is about 5.
    I've had HP computers in the past - mine have always come with so much bloatware and "help" stuff, that I've basically had to reformat them to be useful.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I've had HP computers in the past - mine have always come with so much bloatware and "help" stuff, that I've basically had to reformat them to be useful.
    Yeah but that is pretty much any computer brand.

First thing I usually do is start uninstalling all the "free" stuff, especially MaCafee or Norton anything. Then all of the games and such.

Sometimes I do a fresh install. Except with some laptops they have special drivers and such that can get messes up if you do.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yeah but that is pretty much any computer brand.

First thing I usually do is start uninstalling all the "free" stuff, especially MaCafee or Norton anything. Then all of the games and such.

Sometimes I do a fresh install. Except with some laptops they have special drivers and such that can get messes up if you do.
    That's why I liked the Dell - that came with a System CD and a Drivers CD --- I would just do a fresh install. But Dell seemed to have FAR less bloatware than HP or Toshiba. I used to buy 30-40 laptops a month, and finally settled on Dell.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    That's why I liked the Dell - that came with a System CD and a Drivers CD --- I would just do a fresh install. But Dell seemed to have FAR less bloatware than HP or Toshiba. I used to buy 30-40 laptops a month, and finally settled on Dell.
    I have a dell workstation here at work and it came with all sorts of crap.

And the last dell laptop I got broke within a year. I guess different experiences for different people.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    OR, better yet, I'd just install the OS, then go to Dell's support website and let it find the drivers for me by the computer's own ID. That way I got the most up-to-date drivers, primarily for the video, audio, network...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    OR, better yet, I'd just install the OS, then go to Dell's support website and let it find the drivers for me by the computer's own ID. That way I got the most up-to-date drivers, primarily for the video, audio, network...
    that works.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    that works.
    I forgot to mention updating the BIOS. I wonder how many people own a laptop for YEARS and never update the BIOS.