Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A sober reminder of what insufficient evidence actually means

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A sober reminder of what insufficient evidence actually means

So many claim trump is vindicated by the Mueller report because sufficient evidence could not be found to prove collusion.

Well, here is what insufficient evidence means in the context of this weekends sri lanken bombings

Source: cnn

In an interview with CNN, Sri Lanka's Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe said the suspected bombers were upper and middle class, well-educated and educated abroad, a profile he described as "surprising." He added that several of them were under surveillance ahead of the attacks, but that there had not been "sufficient" evidence to take them into custody.

© Copyright Original Source

Jim
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Um... huh...
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        He's saying that "insufficient evidence" doesn't mean "not guilty". Especially with regards to Trump and Russian collusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
          He's saying that "insufficient evidence" doesn't mean "not guilty". Especially with regards to Trump and Russian collusion.
          Ok... but Mueller didn't say he had insufficient evidence. It's not even matter of there being evidence but reasonable doubt. Rather, Mueller said quite definitively "this investigation does not conclude that the President committed a crime".

And besides, I think ox is misreading the Prime Minister's statement. He says they were monitoring the group prior to the attack but couldn't take legal action because, presumably, they had not broken any laws. Of course now that they actually have committed crimes, they have been arrested and charged. That's how the law works.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
            Yeah, I'm just amazed at how he manages to pull Trump into every thread....
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Ok... but Mueller didn't say he had insufficient evidence. It's not even matter of there being evidence but reasonable doubt. Rather, Mueller said quite definitively "this investigation does not conclude that the President committed a crime".

And besides, I think ox is misreading the Prime Minister's statement. He says they were monitoring the group prior to the attack but couldn't take legal action because, presumably, they had not broken any laws. Of course now that they actually have committed crimes, they have been arrested and charged. That's how the law works.
              Yeah, I know. I was just trying to point out what I'm pretty sure oxmixmudd is saying.

Comment

I'm not, it seems typical for many lately.

Comment

Really? And exactly how is your 'no collusion' reference thay was your first post in the thread about hillary clintons emails not doing what you just mocked me for?

And given this thread is about the mueller report and thus trump, how am I pulling this thread towards trump? Its already there.

Or how am I pulling the mueller thread towards trump, since the mueller report is about trump.

Or the no collusion thread.

Do you recognize your post here is nothing but ad hominem?

And why? Am i calling into question you or your competance or rationality? Or any specific person? Or am i calling into question THE IDEA that the mueller report not being able to find evidence of collusion vindicates Trump?

Jim
                  Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-25-2019, 10:06 AM.
                  My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                    Really? And exactly how is your 'no collusion' reference thay was your first post in the thread about hillary clintons emails not doing what you just mocked me for?
                    My comparison was a same/same - US politics and associated corruption. You managed to pull an incredible international tragedy into a yet another "hate Trump" thread.

And given this thread is about the mueller report and thus trump, how am I pulling this thread towards trump? Its already there.
                    You're right, it's worse than I had indicated.

Or how am I pulling the mueller thread towards trump, since the mueller report is about trump.

Or the no collusion thread.

Do you recognize your post here is nothing but ad hominem?

And why? Am i calling into question you or your competance or rationality? Or any specific person? Or am i calling into question THE IDEA that the mueller report not being able to find evidence of collusion vindicates Trump?

Jim
                    Unsubscribing, Jim... hate on!

Comment

So many claim trump is vindicated by the Mueller report because sufficient evidence could not be found to prove collusion.

Well, here is what insufficient evidence means in the context of this weekends sri lanken bombings

Source: cnn

In an interview with CNN, Sri Lanka's Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe said the suspected bombers were upper and middle class, well-educated and educated abroad, a profile he described as "surprising." He added that several of them were under surveillance ahead of the attacks, but that there had not been "sufficient" evidence to take them into custody.

© Copyright Original Source

Jim
                      Due process shows its down side. For every freedom, there is a risk of it being exploited. Or are you suggesting the Sri Lankan government arrest and detain indefinitely anyone they have under surveillance?
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

My comparison was a same/same - US politics and associated corruption. You managed to pull an incredible international tragedy into a yet another "hate Trump" thread.

You're right, it's worse than I had indicated.

Unsubscribing, Jim... hate on!
                        Hate? The only hate in this exchange that might exist is in your ad hominem. And exactly how is pointing out your ad hominem has no basis in fact 'hate'?

Jim
                        Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-25-2019, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                          Due process shows its down side. For every freedom, there is a risk of it being exploited. Or are you suggesting the Sri Lankan government arrest and detain indefinitely anyone they have under surveillance?
                          What im suggesting is in the thread title. Not having evidence to prove there was active collusion does not mean Trump did not collude, just as not having sufficient evidence to hold this fellow did not mean he was safe.

The refrain right now is that insufficient evidence to indict or recommend indictment equates to vindication. The Sri Lanken bombing and the issues around this person bring into stark reality there is no such equation.

Likewise, and even more so, the issue of obstruction.

Jim
                          Last edited by oxmixmudd; 04-25-2019, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Hate? The only hate in this exchange that might exist is in your ad hominem. And exactly how is pointing out your ad hominem has no basis in fact 'hate'?

Jim
                            I already unsubscribed, so I don't even see this response.

Comment

Not having evidence to prove there was active collusion does not mean Trump did not collude...
                              And just because there's no evidence that you're a pedophile doesn't mean you're not a pedophile, right?

Is this really the standard you want to go with?

Comment