Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

‘Jeopardy’ Wasn’t Designed for a Contestant Like James Holzhauer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ‘Jeopardy’ Wasn’t Designed for a Contestant Like James Holzhauer

‘Jeopardy’ Wasn’t Designed for a Contestant Like James Holzhauer

Anybody watching this?

James Holzhauer has crushed previous records and guaranteed himself at least $850,000

In just 12 episodes of Jeopardy, contestant James Holzhauer has crushed previous records and guaranteed himself at least $850,000.

Holzhauer has easily eclipsed Ken Jennings, the last Jeopardy star to leave the quiz show with a big final payday, in his time on the show so far. Fifteen years ago, Jennings amassed roughly $2.5 million in 74 episodes. But at his current pace, Holzhauer is blowing Jennings away, The Atlantic noted.

Before Holzhauer, the most money earned in a single episode of Jeopardy was $77,000; but in the time he’s been on the stage, he’s beaten that total not once, but five times, and has set a new record of $131,127. In short, it’s safe to say Holzhauer is making a huge dent in the Jeopardy winner’s fund.

“Every game show has a prize budget,” former head of programming at Game Show Network, Bob Boden, said. “Typically, for a long-running show the prize budget is determined by way of averages of what has been won in the past. James’s performance, I’m sure, is causing grief for an accountant somewhere.”

For some shows, the estimate is much more locked in — like the consistent $1 million the winner of Survivor takes home. But Boden said budgets for shows such as Jeopardy with variable winnings are harder to project. For some, insurance policies for unaccounted-for variables, like Holzhauer, are purchased. But Boden doesn’t think this is a concern for Jeopardy.

First off, the show’s prize budget probably isn’t its biggest expense after considering production costs like Alex Trebek’s rumored $10 million salary. And secondly, Holzhauer’s stellar performances are attracting viewers.

“…In a situation like this, where records are being set and broken every night, the excitement, I believe, outweighs the lopsided results,” he said.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

That's a bit outdated

‘Jeopardy!’ champ James Holzhauer has won over $1 million—here’s how he keeps winning

I heard about him this morning on the news. I lost interest in the show several years ago when they reformatted it to have less trivia and more problem solving.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      That's a bit outdated

‘Jeopardy!’ champ James Holzhauer has won over $1 million—here’s how he keeps winning

I heard about him this morning on the news. I lost interest in the show several years ago when they reformatted it to have less trivia and more problem solving.
      Interesting. Yeah, I used to "play at home" a lot, and I've "won" hundreds of thousands of dollars ---- but I just know that if I was ever there in person, I'd choke.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Interesting. Yeah, I used to "play at home" a lot, and I've "won" hundreds of thousands of dollars ---- but I just know that if I was ever there in person, I'd choke.

Back in the 90s a friend of mine was accepted to play and came over to boast. We watched the show that night and I obliterated him answering nearly every question and before he could. Fortunately for me that night many of the categories were ones I always did really well in (no French Literature or Opera). As a result he never followed through and didn't go on the show.

When playing at home all you have to do is answer before the contestant does (and they have to wait until Trebek calls on them) which gives you a couple of seconds to think (no worrying about trying to hit the buzzer first and then not knowing the answer)

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I've watched every episode. He's the real deal.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I want him tested to verify that he's actually human.
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
              I want him tested to verify that he's actually human.
              He's very good at the game and takes big chances. Whether the latter trait will continue to serve him or be his eventual downfall remains to be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                He's very good at the game and takes big chances. Whether the latter trait will continue to serve him or be his eventual downfall remains to be seen.
                Yeah, that's a reasonable analysis.

I've only seen a few of his games. So far, I've seen him miss only two questions. I have not seen him miss a Daily Double or a Final Jeopardy. Friday was the first time I saw him finish below $50k, and that was mainly because he never landed on a Double and got a chance for one of his crazy random bets.

In general, it has appeared to me, in the small sample I've observed, that by the time he gets to a Daily Double, he usually already has a solid lead, and even though he bets big, he has room to do so.
                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                  Yeah, that's a reasonable analysis.

I've only seen a few of his games. So far, I've seen him miss only two questions. I have not seen him miss a Daily Double or a Final Jeopardy. Friday was the first time I saw him finish below $50k, and that was mainly because he never landed on a Double and got a chance for one of his crazy random bets.

In general, it has appeared to me, in the small sample I've observed, that by the time he gets to a Daily Double, he usually already has a solid lead, and even though he bets big, he has room to do so.
                  He's missed one Final Jeopardy in his 17 games. It was: "This inductee into the Video Hall of Fame sold 17 million copies of a videocassette she released in 1982"

He said Madonna, but it was Jane Fonda.
                  "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    He's missed one Final Jeopardy in his 17 games. It was: "This inductee into the Video Hall of Fame sold 17 million copies of a videocassette she released in 1982"

He said Madonna, but it was Jane Fonda.
                    Is he still playing?

Comment

Is he still playing?
                      Yep

Comment

He still has a LONG way to go to beat Brad Rutter's all-time total of over $4M, or Ken Jennings' total of 70+ consecutive wins.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Once you have won a round through the final jeopardy are your previous winnings still at risk? If he is at 1 million in winnings can he lose it all, or just through the current round?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            Once you have won a round through the final jeopardy are your previous winnings still at risk? If he is at 1 million in winnings can he lose it all, or just through the current round?
                            Each day is a new game, and you start at 0 for that day.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              Each day is a new game, and you start at 0 for that day.
                              So at this point he has made enough that he can take as much risk as he wants. It's just extra money.

Comment