Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Is Jeffrey Dahmer In Heaven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    Now we may sin more accidentally on purpose, but we still sin. We just act or speak without thinking.
    how do you accidentally sin?

Comment

Carelessly act on autopilot when tired or sick? But does it count as din if you were not intentionally rebelling against God?
      If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Carelessly act on autopilot when tired or sick? But does it count as din if you were not intentionally rebelling against God?
        I think all sin has to be intentional or it isn't sin.

For example, if you bumped into a shelf at the store and something fell into your purse, and you never noticed it, did you sin? It was "stolen" but you had no idea and you didn't do it intentionally so it wasn't a sin. Now if you found out about it later and didn't return it, THEN it becomes a sin because you are keeping something that doesn't belong to you intentionally.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          I think all sin has to be intentional or it isn't sin.

For example, if you bumped into a shelf at the store and something fell into your purse, and you never noticed it, did you sin? It was "stolen" but you had no idea and you didn't do it intentionally so it wasn't a sin. Now if you found out about it later and didn't return it, THEN it becomes a sin because you are keeping something that doesn't belong to you intentionally.
          Even being tempted to sin isn't sin unless you act on it.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Old Testament to the rescue on this one: You haven't sinned until you become aware that it is a sin. Then it needs to be repented, same as any other sin.
            1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
            ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
            Scripture before Tradition:
            but that won't prevent others from
            taking it upon themselves to deprive you
            of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

And yet despite all of your protesting, you still sin, as do all Christians. So either you are wrong, or none of us are saved.
              I don't make excuses for my sins. When I sin it results from both not hating my sins enough and not loving God enough. It is a signal that I still have work to do with regard to the latter.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                I don't make excuses for my sins. When I sin it results from both not hating my sins enough and not loving God enough. It is a signal that I still have work to do with regard to the latter.
                So, if your previous interpretation about Christians not sinning anymore is true, then you are not saved.

Comment

If I was not saved, I would not have the conferred ability to overcome sin. Using the conferred ability to overcome sin is a matter of perseverance and practice.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

If I was not saved, I would not have the conferred ability to overcome sin. Using the conferred ability to overcome sin is a matter of perseverance and practice.
                    And yet you claim that the bible teaches that those who belong to Christ don't sin. But you sin, so you don't belong to Christ. It doesn't say "they will sort of work towards not sinning" does it?

Either you are interpreting the verse(s) wrong or you are not saved. It's a simple either/or situation. You seem to want it both ways. Saying that Christians don't sin, but that you do sin but get some sort of pass because you are trying.

Comment

And yet you claim that the bible teaches that those who belong to Christ don't sin.
                      Whatever gave you that idea?
                      But you sin, so you don't belong to Christ. It doesn't say "they will sort of work towards not sinning" does it?
                      Actually, it does say that - except for the "sort of" bit. Col 1:10 increasing in the knowledge of God; 1 Thess 3:12 The Lord make you to increase and abound in love toward each other and to all (also 4:10); 2 Cor 10:15 we cherish the hope that your faith will continue to grow; 1 John 2:5 whoever continually keeps his commandments is the kind of person in whom God’s love has truly been perfected; Philippians 3:11 12 It’s not that I have already reached this goal or have already become perfect. But I keep pursuing it, hoping somehow to embrace it just as I have been embraced by the Messiah Jesus. - There are plenty more, even without taking into account the ones that depend on Koine Greek nuances for proper interpretation.

Either you are interpreting the verse(s) wrong or you are not saved. It's a simple either/or situation. You seem to want it both ways. Saying that Christians don't sin, but that you do sin but get some sort of pass because you are trying.
                      Hardly - the message is clear enough ... we aren't instantly turned into mature/complete (often translated "perfect") Christians. That is something we are expected to achieve ... 1 John 3:2 we will be like him, because we will see him just as he is. 3 And everyone who has this hope in him purifies himself, just as He is pure; Romans 8:13 if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body you will live.

The Eastern Church affirms Theosis, as did the Westminster Divines, John Wesley, Kanzo Uchimura ktl.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Oh please. Are you trying to pull a Carpedm on me?

After conversion, there will be "continuing to sin" as long as a person lives. No - I am satisfied that the Bible denies that.
                        There for one. and in another thread you argued it too.

Comment

Actually, it does say that - except for the "sort of" bit. Col 1:10 increasing in the knowledge of God; 1 Thess 3:12 The Lord make you to increase and abound in love toward each other and to all (also 4:10); 2 Cor 10:15 we cherish the hope that your faith will continue to grow; 1 John 2:5 whoever continually keeps his commandments is the kind of person in whom God’s love has truly been perfected; Philippians 3:11 12 It’s not that I have already reached this goal or have already become perfect. But I keep pursuing it, hoping somehow to embrace it just as I have been embraced by the Messiah Jesus. - There are plenty more, even without taking into account the ones that depend on Koine Greek nuances for proper interpretation.

Hardly - the message is clear enough ... we aren't instantly turned into mature/complete (often translated "perfect") Christians. That is something we are expected to achieve ... 1 John 3:2 we will be like him, because we will see him just as he is. 3 And everyone who has this hope in him purifies himself, just as He is pure; Romans 8:13 if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body you will live.

The Eastern Church affirms Theosis....
                          Yes, as a process which is not complete this side of the grave. As long as we are in corruptible bodies, we have a propensity to sin.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            Yes, as a process which is not complete this side of the grave. As long as we are in corruptible bodies, we have a propensity to sin.
                            Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it, prone to leave the God I love... Here's my heart, Lord, take and seal it, seal it for thy courts above.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it, prone to leave the God I love... Here's my heart, Lord, take and seal it, seal it for thy courts above.
                              There is an unverified story that the author of that song, Robert Robinson, had indeed drifted away later on in life, and was confronted by a lady on a stagecoach who was listening to that tune. He had confessed that he was the writer of that tune. Supposedly he had turned against the doctrine of the Trinity and was preaching against it.

Some years ago I heard a prominent conservative radio preacher tell that story (I think it was James Kennedy; or maybe John McArthur). But it appears to be just another one of those glurge stories preachers like to tell without checking the facts.

Possibly somebody confused him with another contemporary Robert Robinson who was a Unitarian minister.
                              Last edited by Faber; 06-21-2019, 12:48 PM.
                              When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                                There is an unverified story that the author of that song, Robert Robinson, had indeed drifted away later on in life, and was confronted by a lady on a stagecoach who was listening to that tune. He had confessed that he was the writer of that tune. Supposedly he had turned against the doctrine of the Trinity and was preaching against it.

Some years ago I heard a prominent conservative radio preacher tell that story (I think it was James Kennedy; or maybe John McArthur). But it appears to be just another one of those glurge stories preachers like to tell without checking the facts.

Possibly somebody confused him with another contemporary Robert Robinson who was a Unitarian minister.
                                Yeah, that's one of those things I used to tell, then when we got the internetzweb, and I was actually able to track stuff down, I found it's not really confirmed. On the other hand, one of my favorite stories about walking a tight rope across Niagara WAS confirmed. I like to have confidence that the stories I use as illustrations can be verified. You never know when somebody will want to check.

Comment