Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Is Jeffrey Dahmer In Heaven?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    This can be a good conversation starter given how many misconceptions there are these days about what Christianity teaches. The other day, I read an article on a mainstream news site (it might have been CNN, not sure) that reported that conservative Christians teach that homosexuality is an unforgivable sin. I wonder how many people out there think this is true and assume that perhaps they have gone too far and could not become a Christian.
    I wonder if those Christians have ever read 1st Corinthians 6:9-11, or the person who wrote such drivel. I have never heard of anyone teach it was unforgivable. The only sin I recall is that the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is unforgivable, which in my view is the outright constant rejection of Christ.

Comment

Originally posted by ReformedApologist View Post
      I wonder if those Christians have ever read 1st Corinthians 6:9-11, or the person who wrote such drivel. I have never heard of anyone teach it was unforgivable. The only sin I recall is that the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is unforgivable, which in my view is the outright constant rejection of Christ.
      I think Westboro Baptist Church teaches it, but they are certainly an aberration.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I think Westboro Baptist Church teaches it, but they are certainly an aberration.
        I just checked their website to see their statement of faith. Wow.

And a few other articles detail the Church's "softening" since the death of their pastor in 2014. They still proclaim that God hates [gay people], but I don't find anything to indicate that they think homosexuality is the (or an) unpardonable sin.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by ReformedApologist View Post
          That's my view as well. No matter how one interprets that, it seems that John 6:37 establishes clearly that nobody can desire to be saved but be rejected.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

It means that if he let's someone like Dahmer in, then there is hope for all of us!

And we become new creations.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I just checked their website to see their statement of faith. Wow.

And a few other articles detail the Church's "softening" since the death of their pastor in 2014. They still proclaim that God hates [gay people], but I don't find anything to indicate that they think homosexuality is the (or an) unpardonable sin.
              I just came across a video of the well known Arizona preacher, Steven Anderson, who directly answers a questioner who asked if an ex-gay can repent and be saved with "No, I don't think so." So apparently it really is a thing.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUkn...-2GSRdy0IvnVqA at 3:53)

Comment

I just came across a video of the well known Arizona preacher, Steven Anderson, who directly answers a questioner who asked if an ex-gay can repent and be saved with "No, I don't think so." So apparently it really is a thing.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUkn...-2GSRdy0IvnVqA at 3:53)
                Interesting. I know, in the Buttigieg thread, I state my belief that Buttigieg CAN repent, but I think it would be incredibly hard -- he has staked his 'marriage' on it, as well as his whole political career. It would take something pretty much catastrophic, but I still believe it is possible.

ETA: Wow, just watched the video.
                Last edited by Cow Poke; 06-13-2019, 09:56 PM.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

If Dahmer truely was saved, then the evil part of him no longer exists. The old man is dead and now lives in the spirit. Or something like that. Anyone want to find the exact quote from Paul?
                  If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                    If Dahmer truely was saved, then the evil part of him no longer exists. The old man is dead and now lives in the spirit. Or something like that. Anyone want to find the exact quote from Paul?
                    It does exist, and will exist as long as we live on this earth, but is in subjugation to the Spirit.

Comment

It does exist, and will exist as long as we live on this earth, but is in subjugation to the Spirit.
                      Yeah, unfortunately, the old nature doesn't "stay dead", as Paul attests.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Yeah, unfortunately, the old nature doesn't "stay dead", as Paul attests.
                        I was referring specifically to Dahmer. He is dead, right? So, the evil died with him. I think you guys misunderstood.

Comment

I was referring specifically to Dahmer. He is dead, right? So, the evil died with him. I think you guys misunderstood.
                          I blame it all on KG - he needs to pay better attention!

Comment

I thought you were referring to his post-conversion life before he died, but I see what you're referring to now.

Comment

I thought you were referring to his post-conversion life before he died, but I see what you're referring to now.
                              He would have had whatever personality disorder that contributed to his evil choices until he died. Did you think I actually think that Christians don't sin after conversion?

Comment

There will be "continuing to sin" after conversion.
                                After conversion, there will be "continuing to sin" as long as a person lives. No - I am satisfied that the Bible denies that.
                                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                                Scripture before Tradition:
                                but that won't prevent others from
                                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment