Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Paul vs Peter, Apostle to the Gentiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
    Paul was sent to the Gentiles as a sort of punishment ...
    That seems like quiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite a stretch to me, and hardly something that can be supported by the text of the NT.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
      That seems like quiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite a stretch to me, and hardly something that can be supported by the text of the NT.
      Of course it can. You only need to take this bit from here, redefine that word, add a another bit from there, and another bit that has nothing to do with Paul anyway, and wallah! The scriptures support the story.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Christian3 View Post
        Peter was sent to a Gentile named Cornelius. Acts 10.

However before Acts 10, in Acts 9 Jesus sent Paul to the Gentiles.
        This is not an accurate reading of the text. In Acts 9, God sent Ananias to heal and baptize Paul, "for he is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel." Those words were said to Ananias, not Paul, and Paul's immediate action was to dispute with the Jews, not Gentiles; there is no indication from the text that Ananias repeated those words to Paul.
        Why do you think Jesus didn't send Paul to Cornelius instead of Peter?
        Perhaps because Paul wasn't exactly a trusted leader of the church at the time?
        Or why didn't Jesus make Peter the Apostle to the Gentiles?

Thanks.
        Peter was already the leader of the church; you want him to do everything?

You ask some odd questions.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

My answer:

Jesus probably sent Peter to Cornelius to teach him what He wanted him to know at that time; that
          God declared Gentiles clean. Before that time Peter would have considered Gentiles unclean and would not have eaten with them.

I think Jesus knew Paul would make a better Apostle to the Gentiles.

Peter had some flaws; he denied Jesus; at first Peter had table fellowship with Gentiles and then he refused to eat with them.

Peter was negatively influence by the Judaizers.

Jesus could depend on Paul whereas He could not depend on Peter.
          You pretty much answered it.

I think the sentence in bold is the primary reason. The clear proof of that is laid out in the first two chapters of Galatians. Peter was too wishy-washy, still enslaved to his orthodox roots. I envision it as an evangelical Christian today hobnobbing with members of a questionable rock or rap music group until his Christian companions show up, then he not only shuns the group, but even joins his companions in castigating the group (don't know if that's exactly how it happened, but that's what I imagine).

Paul was an orthodox Jewish renegade. And that's apparently the radicalism that God needed as the bridge to the Gentiles, lest the Gentiles just ended up being a splinter sect of Judaism (proselyte Jews).

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            This is not an accurate reading of the text. In Acts 9, God sent Ananias to heal and baptize Paul, "for he is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel." Those words were said to Ananias, not Paul, and Paul's immediate action was to dispute with the Jews, not Gentiles; there is no indication from the text that Ananias repeated those words to Paul.
            Yes... and also, Paul tells us in Galatians 1:15-18 that he spent 3 years in preparation (in the desert?) before beginning his ministry.

Perhaps because Paul wasn't exactly a trusted leader of the church at the time?

Peter was already the leader of the church; you want him to do everything?
            Yep! Peter was by far the leader of the Church in Jerusalem at the start....Also, it was Peter who confirmed Paul at the Jerusalem Council that swayed the verdict in Paul's favor of allowing Gentiles into the Church...that probably doesn't happen with out Peters experience with Cornelius.
            "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Peter was sent to a Gentile named Cornelius. Acts 10.

However before Acts 10, in Acts 9 Jesus sent Paul to the Gentiles.

Why do you think Jesus didn't send Paul to Cornelius instead of Peter?

Or why didn't Jesus make Peter the Apostle to the Gentiles?

Thanks.
              We can know what happened, but we can only speculate about God's reasoning. I would respond with a question: Does it matter?
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                Maybe Paul seems to stretch things a bit, in some people's eyes.

I probably should have said that his call to a Gentile mission was with a strong degree of irony (a big twist). Paul, as a Pharisee, took on the task of hunting down his fellow countrymen to stop the Messianic movement. At the same time, we can infer that Paul had seen Gentiles as unclean. In this great twist, Paul was sent to evangelize the people he would have least likely wanted to be among -- before he came to Christ.

Comment