Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Refuting Deism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Deism is an untenable belief in contrast to atheism, pantheism and strong agnosticism, because there is no apparent interaction claimed between the 'Source (?)' and Creation other than Creation itself. It is like claiming a phantom intangible hide and seek God.
    And yet ... that is the concept that the Canaanites had of El before he proved them wrong by having a chat with Abram.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
      And yet ... that is the concept that the Canaanites had of El before he proved them wrong by having a chat with Abram.
      I do not think this responds to my post.

I do not believe this is correct, and a bit confusing.

Nonetheless Canaanites were a polytheistic culture with at least one goddess, and as far a can tell the Canaanites did not believe in Deism.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

I think the only thing I've gotten out of arguments about pressuppositional apologetics, is that there are two completely self-consistent worldviews: Solipsism with its utter denial of the possibility of knowledge, and Theism, and nothing in between.

And as long as pressuppositionalists stick to this line of transcendental argumentation, I think their arguments are noble. It's when they try to use the same tactic to argue for Christianity, or even the Westminster Confession, I think they've gone off track.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
          God is as physical as you are.
          ”Physical” is ambiguous. So which sense of the word is intended ?

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
            That is a claim of an interpretation of scripture written much later. By evidence the Hebrews were a pastoral Canaanite tribe that believed in polytheism or maybe henotheism
            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment