Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Synagogue Shooting in Poway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
    That's a nice demonstration of the fallacy. Whether or not a person thinks the second politician ought to be impeached or not has no bearing on whether or not the first politician should be impeached. It's an extension of the ad hominem fallacy in that the charge of hypocrisy, either the first or the second (because there are two charges of hypocrisy here), is irrelevant to the first claim.

Non-fallacious sequence:

Speaker 1: Politician 1 should be impeached for x, y, and z.
    Speaker 2: You have not legally proven the case for x, y, and z; therefore, politician 1 should not be impeached.
    It isn't necessarily saying that nobody should be impeached but rather noting how selective that the critics outrage is. How they had no trouble with even worse behavior so long as the person was on "our side," but all of a sudden gets really concerned only when it involves someone from the "other side." It's the blatant hypocrisy and sanctimonious double standard that they express that is being criticized.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      It isn't necessarily saying that nobody should be impeached but rather noting how selective that the critics outrage is. How they had no trouble with even worse behavior so long as the person was on "our side," but all of a sudden gets really concerned only when it involves someone from the "other side." It's the blatant hypocrisy and sanctimonious double standard that they express that is being criticized.
      "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
      Hear my cry, hear my shout,
      Save me, save me"

Comment

in a perfect world
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          in a perfect world
          In a nation governed by laws and not political alliances.
          Save me, save me"

Comment

In a nation governed by laws and not political alliances.
            Yes, a perfect world, in which we do not currently live.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You somehow managed to overlook the first clause in my first sentence

It isn't necessarily saying that nobody should be impeached

Since that is not being addressed it is not a fallacy but rather an observation.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                Jefferson knew that slavery was wrong in his time, but yet kept his slaves. I spoke of Lee's and Jackson's military ability and Christian faith, and honor those. There is no logical reason to tear down their statues, any more than to tear down Jefferson's.
                I disagree.

But to explain further is pointless.

Jim
                My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                  I disagree.

Jim
                  I'm sure this is pointless, too, but they're part of our history, and the physical symbols present a teaching opportunity. Historical Revisionism is something we used to claim the Soviets did.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                    I disagree.

Jim
                    Tearing down statues is very Talibanish. They too rejected arguments concerning cultural heritage.

Comment

You somehow managed to overlook the first clause in my first sentence

It isn't necessarily saying that nobody should be impeached

Since that is not being addressed it is not a fallacy but rather an observation.
                      Save me, save me"

Comment

Yes, a perfect world, in which we do not currently live.
                        Save me, save me"

Comment

So we just retreat into tribalism then?
                          I get it! You're being silly!

And I never said otherwise. Observing what is should not be confused with approval.

Comment

The exact opposite. Both sides should be held accountable for the same actions. It's just that one side willingly ignores what they've done and suddenly acts concerned only when the other side does it that they are acting in a hypocritical manner.

Comment

The exact opposite. Both sides should be held accountable for the same actions.
                              I think we're discussing different sides of the same coin. Both sides should argue for all wrong doers being accountable to the law. Both sides might not. Any side that refuses to push for legal accountability based on what the otherside does is hypocritical if they claim a foundation in the law.

It's just that one side willingly ignores what they've done and suddenly acts concerned only when the other side does it that they are acting in a hypocritical manner.
                              I think both. The republicans were very concerned about impeachment, propriety, special investigations into presidential behavior and what not during Clinton's presidency. They're not now. That by definition is what you are describing. Likewise, the democrats were very forgiving of presidential misconduct and the AG acting like the president's personal lawyer as recently as Obama. They're not now.
                              Save me, save me"

Comment

I get it! You're being silly!

And I never said otherwise. Observing what is should not be confused with approval.
                                What exactly are you trying to add then?
                                Save me, save me"

Comment